• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

In your haste to get your jabs in, it seems you miss the point, again.

Seriously mate, take time to see the point before sticking the boot in, things can be much more constructive that way.

You said Corbyn... what is he doing? He visits Europe and opens talks with EU leaders and you say that it makes you uneasy, you don't like it. I don't see what there is to misinterpret about that.

You said Corbyn... what is he doing? He visits Europe and opens talks with EU leaders and you say that it makes you uneasy, you don't like it. I don't see what there is to misinterpret about that.

If you continued to read you would see, as stated up front, the issue isnt Corbyn at all.

Problem is your knee gets jerking and you stop reading dont you?

If you continued to read you would see, as stated up front, the issue isnt Corbyn at all.

Problem is your knee gets jerking and you stop reading dont you?

I can read perfectly well thank you and I just re visited your post. Once again you are being critical of Corbyn. Stop trying to re write your posts mate, it's pointless when they are preserved.

I can read perfectly well thank you and I just re visited your post. Once again you are being critical of Corbyn. Stop trying to re write your posts mate, it's pointless when they are preserved.

Then it must be a comprehension issue, given I have stated exactly what the issue is to my mind and its not Corbyn as explicitly stated.

Unless you presume to know my mind better than I do?

Speak of the opposition leader, as in a position, not a person.

I do not like that behaviour, it doesnt sit well.

While the opposition should oppose, it should be within the confines of parliament, IMO.

I do not think the opposition leader should be negotiating with the leaders of other nations.

The whole point is around the remit/bounds/mandate/limits of that position.

Yes, it happens to be Corbyn at the moment but Corbyn really isnt the point here.

What is/isnt ok for the opposition to do?

More petty jabs. Its such a shame.

IMHO you are a really solid poster, and I enjoy your contribution to the board, but something about this thread brings out the worst in you.

brick Nayim, you have just re calibrated the role of opposition leaders. They have been visiting and being briefed by foreign government members for eons. What are you going on about?

It's just that your position is confused and all this back pedaling just makes it worse. Sorry Nayimfromthehalfwayline, I did not intend to be offensive. I can see that the previous post could be taken that way.

brick Nayim, you have just re calibrated the role of opposition leaders. They have been visiting and being briefed by foreign government members for eons. What are you going on about?

It's just that your position is confused and all this back pedalng just makes it worse. Sorry Nayimfromthehalfwayline, I did not intend to be offensive. I can see that the previous post could be taken that way.

I do not claim to be an expert on parliamentary process. Its something Ive made clear throughout these many hundreds of pages.

I can only say what I think/feel, and for me the idea of the opposition touring Europe trying to strike a deal while our actual elected leader is doing the same does not sit well at all.

Yes its Corbyn doing it, and yes I do not like the guy at all - but that is beside the point being made, which I thought I made clear. As you enjoy quoting me to try and accuse me of backpeddling/contradiction etc, look at this:

" this isnt a May/Corbyn thing. This is an Elected Prime Minister / Unelected Opposition thing."

"If Corbyn was PM and May the opposition Id feel exactly the same."

Your Labour eligance seems to blind you to being reasonable with me. Whatever I say you pounce on and rather than discuss, just take jabs.

Im no Labour fan, with fair reason - that doesnt make me a Tory or the enemy either though. And as we are all adults we should really be able to have a conversation, shouldnt we? Rather than the petty BS.

Maybe everything he is doing is perfectly legit. Even then, it doesnt feel right to me, and I dont like it.

Mate, people often preface a comment with "now I'm not against so and so...." and then go ahead and make it pretty clear that they are. The prefacing qualification is made redundant by the following comment. No, I make no secret of my ideology, the pity is that so many other do not. They play the Everyman role, but are just as partisan (if not more so) than me.

I think, with a government as fragile as this one, the opposition has to be talking to the EU because there is a possibility that they could end up in government in the near future and they need to be ready. They have to make plans with the civil service for the same reason iirc.

I can see how there is potential to undermine the government's position, though I think the EU would be happy for May's deal to pass and her to stay in position for now, so not completely necessary from their point of view. Despite that, I don't think the opposition have a choice but to be prepared for government with the fragility of the current political situation, and part of that is being able to pick up the baton on Brexit.

I do not claim to be an expert on parliamentary process. Its something Ive made clear throughout these many hundreds of pages.

I can only say what I think/feel, and for me the idea of the opposition touring Europe trying to strike a deal while our actual elected leader is doing the same does not sit well at all.

Yes its Corbyn doing it, and yes I do not like the guy at all - but that is beside the point being made, which I thought I made clear. As you enjoy quoting me to try and accuse me of backpeddling/contradiction etc, look at this:

" this isnt a May/Corbyn thing. This is an Elected Prime Minister / Unelected Opposition thing."

"If Corbyn was PM and May the opposition Id feel exactly the same."

Your Labour eligance seems to blind you to being reasonable with me. Whatever I say you pounce on and rather than discuss, just take jabs.

Im no Labour fan, with fair reason - that doesnt make me a Tory or the enemy either though. And as we are all adults we should really be able to have a conversation, shouldnt we? Rather than the petty BS.

Maybe everything he is doing is perfectly legit. Even then, it doesnt feel right to me, and I dont like it.
I took your criticism of Corbyn before as criticism of the leader of the opposition rather than him personally (largely) - was this not the case?

Mate, people often preface a comment with "now I'm not against so and so...." and then go ahead and make it pretty clear that they are. The prefacing qualification is made redundant by the following comment. No, I make no secret of my ideology, the pity is that so many other do not. They play the Everyman role, but are just as partisan (if not more so) than me.

Yes its quite obvious you have characterised me and my thinking in a way that suits you, rather than reflects reality.

And youve given yourself the ultimate pass to do so - whatever I state to contextualise my thinking is "made redundant" in your view if you dont like what Ive said.

I shouldnt need to state again, and itll likely be wasted, but I may as well try.

I have no party affiliation. Idealogically Im neither left nor right. Or, more specifically, a little bit of left, a little bit of right...

Which should leave me quite central, but of course I couldnt vote Lib Dem because they are a joke.

Im no more anti Labour than I am anti Tory. And I am no more a fan of May than I am Corbyn.

Though of course you can ignore that and crack on as you wish. I which case I only ask you refrain from the pointless jabs, and Ill do my best to ignore you.

I think, with a government as fragile as this one, the opposition has to be talking to the EU because there is a possibility that they could end up in government in the near future and they need to be ready. They have to make plans with the civil service for the same reason iirc.

I can see how there is potential to undermine the government's position, though I think the EU would be happy for May's deal to pass and her to stay in position for now, so not completely necessary from their point of view. Despite that, I don't think the opposition have a choice but to be prepared for government with the fragility of the current political situation, and part of that is being able to pick up the baton on Brexit.

Would you feel the same if Labour were floundering in power and May was going round europe "just in case"?

I took your criticism of Corbyn before as criticism of the leader of the opposition rather than him personally (largely) - was this not the case?

That was absolutely the case.

That was absolutely the case

So the responses are not regarding Corbyn but the leader of the opposition, you blame the leader of the opposition for inactivity and activity. I understand your unease at opposition meeting the EU to discuss and alternate plan but given that criticising him for not having a plan that the EU will accept seems contradictory.

So the responses are not regarding Corbyn but the leader of the opposition, you blame the leader of the opposition for inactivity and activity. I understand your unease at opposition meeting the EU to discuss and alternate plan but given that criticising him for not having a plan that the EU will accept seems contradictory.

Its more about playing in the right sandbox for me.

While it seems you disagree, I think there could have been much more action from the opposition in parliament. And I criticise him for failing in this respect.

This is, to my mind, where he should be making a change.

To go off into Europe trying to facilitate a second deal on the off chance he gets to play PM - that seems out of bounds, IMO.

I'm not sure I agree. I think they'd be happy enough with this outcome - it's a decent one for them - but my feeling is that they're sniffing the chance for something 'better', ie. a softer brexit still or even a complete reversal of the referendum result. Talking to Corbyn certainly fits with the former, while I also think at this point they'd happily gamble on the latter. I'm not sure that's always necessarily been so, and this is where I detect a subtle change in their position.

Just my perception of things of course.

Last edited:
Back