• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Er, don't think i've pigeon holed you at all, i said people are ignoring any negatives. Not even sure what the ramble of 'fast food' is, bit of a strawman to take away the points i have raised. There's been little to no criticism of Brexit promises consistently being broken. Not saying we should return or anything, just pointing out some of the glory we're living in is just being wilfully ignored.

To @LutonSpurs point i believe the shortages are exacerbated in UK compared to other countries also dealing with post-Brexit and pandemic. At least based on friends and colleagues in those locations i know in Germany and France.

Your original post is about the lack of fast food, so if you don't know where comments came from i suggest you pay more attention.

As it was me that answered your post and your reply to that quotes me and suggests that I'm ignoring the effects of brexit because it doesn't fall into your world view you assumed i was a leaver and took a cheap shot.

So Brexit and covid are acting together to amplify a bad situation. Both are underpinned by the same structural issue, a populist government that has neither the competence nor a proper plan to deal with either problem. Mind you while the main opposition remain as impotent as it is the government continues to be given a free ride. Interesting that the polls see the conservatives dropping points while Labour not really picking up any. A truly sad state of affairs.

So Brexit and covid are acting together to amplify a bad situation. Both are underpinned by the same structural issue, a populist government that has neither the competence nor a proper plan to deal with either problem. Mind you while the main opposition remain as impotent as it is the government continues to be given a free ride. Interesting that the polls see the conservatives dropping points while Labour not really picking up any. A truly sad state of affairs.
What is Starmer's thinking on pretending Brexit didn't happen? I'm not sure I see the reasoning. I don't mean rerun the referendum arguments ad infinitum, but attack this form of Brexit, the hardest brexit that was on offer. Surely this can be used to generate a fair amount of political capital. Can he not run with his version of Brexit which is better for reasons a,b,c. Seems like an open goal to me.

we're saying the UK is impacted because of Brexit and Covid as if no other EU country has been impacted by both the same,and yet are not facing anywhere near the shortages we're seeing...

Maybe telling foreigners to fudge off polls well with many in the country but isn't a great idea in reality. Still, blue passports.
The problems are worse in central Europe.

The problems are worse in central Europe.
I haven't seen that reported anywhere. In fact, if it was worse in some parts of the EU I'm sure the right-wing press would be falling over themselves to say that. Mind you I don't read much of that brick so maybe some of them are.
Do you have any links to reports on this?

I haven't seen that reported anywhere. In fact, if it was worse in some parts of the EU I'm sure the right-wing press would be falling over themselves to say that. Mind you I don't read much of that brick so maybe some of them are.
Do you have any links to reports on this?
Only the 3hrs of meetings I had with our CZ manager, some of our suppliers over there and some of our customers.

They're all reporting serious problems with finding staff, drivers, deliveries and raw materials.

A lot of industries shut during various global lockdowns and have depleted their stocks. Now there's nothing spare demand is increasing. Most countries are offering something similar to the CJSS the govt offered here and all are finding it very difficult to get people to work for a few extra % of their wage.

Only the 3hrs of meetings I had with our CZ manager, some of our suppliers over there and some of our customers.

They're all reporting serious problems with finding staff, drivers, deliveries and raw materials.

A lot of industries shut during various global lockdowns and have depleted their stocks. Now there's nothing spare demand is increasing. Most countries are offering something similar to the CJSS the govt offered here and all are finding it very difficult to get people to work for a few extra % of their wage.
Hardly conclusive proof. All countries have shortages of one one sort or another but it would be hard to argue, though I'm sure you try, against the UK suffering the most with Brexit being the unique factor.

I find it strange lengths some will go to spin different reasons for obviously Brexit-related problems. The government just needs to deal with the issues pragmatically rather than sticking their fingers in their ears and singing rule Britania. The driver shortage is a perfect example of this. Put this job on the skilled workers' list and it would surely alleviate the problem to some degree. I have no doubt some right-wing rag would deem it as surrender, and well we can't be having that, can we?

Hardly conclusive proof. All countries have shortages of one one sort or another but it would be hard to argue, though I'm sure you try, against the UK suffering the most with Brexit being the unique factor.

I find it strange lengths some will go to spin different reasons for obviously Brexit-related problems. The government just needs to deal with the issues pragmatically rather than sticking their fingers in their ears and singing rule Britania. The driver shortage is a perfect example of this. Put this job on the skilled workers' list and it would surely alleviate the problem to some degree. I have no doubt some right-wing rag would deem it as surrender, and well we can't be having that, can we?
We're suffering a little from the teething pains of Brexit. We're also suffering less from the effects of COVID because of Brexit.

Quantifying how much in each direction they pull would be tough, but I know the general situation in CZ is far worse than here - to the point where companies are shifting manufacturing over here despite the massively increased costs.

We're suffering a little from the teething pains of Brexit. We're also suffering less from the effects of COVID because of Brexit.

Quantifying how much in each direction they pull would be tough, but I know the general situation in CZ is far worse than here - to the point where companies are shifting manufacturing over here despite the massively increased costs.
Multiple root canals would be a better description maybe. Anyway, thanks for making my point about the denialism of brexiteers.

Just step outside yourself for a bit if you can, and answer me a question. Do you see any downsides at all to Brexit? No need to qualifying your choice here. Just specify one thing that you think is worse.

Cyprus is having a mare with shortages of low level staff
Gibraltar’s has reported a shortage of routine engineering materials
Germany has reported a lack of available low skilled labour and material shortages
All have blamed COVID and I’ve a also been told the shipping delays caused by the big boat getting stuck has had an issue
What happened was in some cases a lot of the lower paid staff just went back to their countries of birth and simply haven’t returned yet, and may not

Not an expert in pig farming but the National Pig Association saying they have too many pigs due to shortage of staff causing massive issues.

"The NPA said that the wasted meat from the surplus of pigs which could have gone into the food supply chain, will result in the UK's food sector having to import more from the EU."

LOL.

"They've upped wages but there are a good proportion of people that left after Brexit and you can't just fill those jobs with thin air," Ms Davies said.

LOL.

Still I imagine the issue is nothing to do with brexit despite experts in that area saying it or those experts in that area are simply a bunch of remoaners. Definitely not a real issue of brexit whatever it is

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Reactions: DTA
Multiple root canals would be a better description maybe. Anyway, thanks for making my point about the denialism of brexiteers.

Just step outside yourself for a bit if you can, and answer me a question. Do you see any downsides at all to Brexit? No need to qualifying your choice here. Just specify one thing that you think is worse.
I think transport companies have used the excuse to gouge customers on prices.

Cyprus is having a mare with shortages of low level staff
Gibraltar’s has reported a shortage of routine engineering materials
Germany has reported a lack of available low skilled labour and material shortages
All have blamed COVID and I’ve a also been told the shipping delays caused by the big boat getting stuck has had an issue
What happened was in some cases a lot of the lower paid staff just went back to their countries of birth and simply haven’t returned yet, and may not
Apparently most of the world's shipping containers are still in the wrong places because of it and there's only a couple of businesses who make new ones in any volume.

I always assumed containers were completely interchangeable but I'm told otherwise.

Apparently most of the world's shipping containers are still in the wrong places because of it and there's only a couple of businesses who make new ones in any volume.

I always assumed containers were completely interchangeable but I'm told otherwise.
They are tagged but I thought they were interchangeable but it’s to do with who owns what ….
The labour movement across Europe dying Covid was much bigger than people realised
didnt help that countries were paying furlough with people not even be in the country they were employed in

Financial service exports to the European Union rose in the months after Britain left the EU despite warnings that the City would be hit by a collapse in trade, official figures show.

The bloc imported 1.4pc more from UK banks, insurers and other finance firms in the first three months of the year compared with the same period of 2019, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). It omitted 2020 due to Covid distortions.

The figures undermine claims by chief executives and politicians that Brexit would devastate the Square Mile's ability to trade with the Continent.

Instead, European firms' appear to have suffered most of the damage. Financial services exports from the EU to the UK slumped by more than a third, predominantly hitting companies in Ireland, France and the Netherlands.

During the same period, exports of legal, accounting, management, consulting and public relations services soared by more than a third to non-EU countries. Sales to EU member states fell by 1pc.

Financial service exports to the European Union rose in the months after Britain left the EU despite warnings that the City would be hit by a collapse in trade, official figures show.

The bloc imported 1.4pc more from UK banks, insurers and other finance firms in the first three months of the year compared with the same period of 2019, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). It omitted 2020 due to Covid distortions.

The figures undermine claims by chief executives and politicians that Brexit would devastate the Square Mile's ability to trade with the Continent.

Instead, European firms' appear to have suffered most of the damage. Financial services exports from the EU to the UK slumped by more than a third, predominantly hitting companies in Ireland, France and the Netherlands.

During the same period, exports of legal, accounting, management, consulting and public relations services soared by more than a third to non-EU countries. Sales to EU member states fell by 1pc.

Would love to know the source of this article?

Would love to know the source of this article?

Torygraph so yes, biased in the extreme. You can get a more balanced picture from genuine news agencies like Reuters. The FT is somewhat biased too (anti-brexit) but largely impartial. The Telegraph is more or less propaganda. The PM is an ex columnist etc

Back