• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Who were we missing tonight realistically from our best eleven, 4 players through injury?

Romero, VDV, Maddison, Bentancur.

Everyone else was pretty much first choice imo, or in due to a self inflicted suspension. It’s overblown.

We were crap tonight because Son and Kulu were crap.

come on mate, get the game was frustrating

Romero & VDV in that game, neither open play goals happen (someone would come out and closed), highly likely at least one of the penalties doesn't happen, and between Bentancur (controlling midfield) and VDV's covering pace, they lose half their counter opps. Put Maddison in and you would get a few more (improved) final balls that Richi would have put away.

Your two CB's, your two best midfielders, matter.

Brighton while similar re total count (of injuries) have been buying players for a system for 3 years now, the quality on bench might drop but not suitability for the system (several of their key players were on bench on way back). Our backup players (Dier/PEH/Skipp) don't suit the system

Romero & VDV in that game, neither open play goals happen (someone would come out and closed), highly likely at least one of the penalties doesn't happen, and between Bentancur (controlling midfield) and VDV's covering pace, they lose half their counter opps. Put Maddison in and you would get a few more (improved) final balls that Richi would have put away.

Brighton while similar re total count (of injuries) have been buying players for a system for 3 years now, the quality on bench might drop but not suitability for the system (several of their key players were on bench on way back). Our backup players (Dier/PEH/Skipp) don't suit the system
That’s the key
Everyone else is trying to play one up manship on another teams situation but in reality every team is different with different needs
Then add in the flexibility to rotate when you have fit players
And finally… Brighton didn’t look tired but we did. That’s the extra 2 days rest at play

In fairness, only Ledders and Woodgate were of anything close to similar importance for us that season. Maybe Charlie. Bale was still having to teach Harry not to try and sell him, JJ was not exactly running the team, and Hutton was replaceable. The context is very different.
In terms of key players I agree and I wasn't trying to minimise the injuries we have now. I was just recalling that pre Poch we often had tons of injuries especially during the period arsenal had their *glorious* young team that always got mentioned and their Injuries highlighted and we had even worse and it was never spoken of. It's kind of similar now, it gets mentioned in passing but it's highlighted for Saudi Sportswashing Machine even more.

It's more painful now because the team is better and the quality we have now is probably more concentrated and the drop off outside those players is more severe.

We didn't even need Maddison for a better quality of final ball, we just needed Richy to look down the line before he made his runs and the two he scored wouldn't have been offside.

Ha!
The spine of the team? No left-wing option (we lost Perisic early doors plus Soloman). No Bissouma. We struggled today because our game relies on skillful distribution via the CBs and our #6.
FIVE starters missing tonight and not the quality to replace them adequetely is what cost us.

Bissouma is suspended, and prior to last night, all the games Romero missed were suspensions too, can’t put those down to injury crisis.

Left side is a fair point, although based on last seasons performances we shouldn’t be relying on anything from Perisic anyway. Also, we had our best player out there and he still laid an egg.

We do have injuries, VDV and Maddison are a big miss, but, we’ve caused as many problems for ourselves as have been inflicted on us.

Well quite, you can identify the moment this all started.

His dumb "tackle" this is self inflicted.

I have sympathy for Ange to a point with lack of options, but discipline is down to him.

While I agree discipline is down to Ange, I think he's playing a balance here

- This team needs to change it's mindset, something Jose/Conte/Poch/others failed at
- We have seen what happens under Jose/Conte when you try to create robots out of these players
- Intensity is a big part of the Ange game

I think Ange understands we need better discipline, and better game management at moments but the short term priority is play the way I want, play with the intensity and press and if we lose a few games as a result, it's worth the trade off if we get the system to work

- This team needs to change it's mindset, something Jose/Conte/Poch/others failed at
- We have seen what happens under Jose/Conte when you try to create robots out of these players

I think Ange understands we need better discipline, and better game management at moments but the short term priority is play the way I want, play with the intensity and press and if we lose a few games as a result, it's worth the trade off if we get the system to work
Fair point, but if half the team is missing the players we need to learn it, which brings us back to the discussion over playing youth teamers as they are the future.

End of January will look a lot better with Maddison/VDV back and hopefully a couple in and some of the deadweights out.

By instilling the system Ange is dangling a carrot, improve your discipline and you can be part of something special, don't and your out.
The base is there for a title challenging squad, keep building and we won't be far away over next few seasons.

Fair point, but if half the team is missing the players we need to learn it, which brings us back to the discussion over playing youth teamers as they are the future.

End of January will look a lot better with Maddison/VDV back and hopefully a couple in and some of the deadweights out.
Until we lose someone else because we haven’t tested them or they get suspended

Arsenal did this last season and needs to with a lot of suspensions IIRC

Ange doesn't play those without a future (see Dier)

The youth team thing is hard, think we as fans underestimate the step up. Johnson is struggling and has probably cost us points already, Solomon, Gil, Veliz, GLC are players with way more experience than any of our youth/academy and they aren't walks ins.

This is a ride it out moment, to your point, hopefully a couple in plus a couple back by 2nd half of January, by end of AFCON & Asia games, hopefully close to full first 11, hope for some luck that we get no more and push the last couple of months.

Ange doesn't play those without a future (see Dier)

The youth team thing is hard, think we as fans underestimate the step up. Johnson is struggling and has probably cost us points already, Solomon, Gil, Veliz, GLC are players with way more experience than any of our youth/academy and they aren't walks ins.

This is a ride it out moment, to your point, hopefully a couple in plus a couple back by 2nd half of January, by end of AFCON & Asia games, hopefully close to full first 11, hope for some luck that we get no more and push the last couple of months.
He is sticking with Royal and royal really can’t play this football, despite his best efforts

He is sticking with Royal and royal really can’t play this football, despite his best efforts
I don't think it's difficult to understand. He rates Emerson's suitability to the system better than he rates Dier's. Emerson can play it, he's done reasonably well at LB and hasn't stunk up the place at RB either. He's a decent utility defensive player now. He won't be first choice for any role but he's the full in guy now.

I don't think it's difficult to understand. He rates Emerson's suitability to the system better than he rates Dier's. Emerson can play it, he's done reasonably well at LB and hasn't stunk up the place at RB either. He's a decent utility defensive player now. He won't be first choice for any role but he's the full in guy now.
Your comparing his role at full back though
This is centre back
His record at centre back, despite his best efforts, is horrendous

This is centre back
I think there’s only one reason: mobility. He trusts Emerson to be able to get around to clean up when we get exposed, which to be fair he did well against Brighton.

That’s probably Dier’s weakest point.

They’re both poor on the ball and both not CBs for teams anywhere near the top. Hopefully come February we won’t see either of them again.

This is centre back

Hard disagree, he's not Romero/VDV but go watch yesterday's game again

- At least 2 (I think 3) times, Brighton counter and Royal is the only man, he catches up with Joao Pedro, stays on his feet, doesn't commit, holds him up for long enough that rest of team catches up
- He passes out of the back fairly well (not perfect but doesn't fudge it up)
- He and rest of team hold the high line successfully several times, including for the offside goal

I'm sorry, that first & second scenarios, Dier & Sanchez fudge up all day long. That's why Royal gets picked

And I'm not sure why we are bricking on the guy for a role he's never meant to play in?

Hard disagree, he's not Romero/VDV but go watch yesterday's game again

- At least 2 (I think 3) times, Brighton counter and Royal is the only man, he catches up with Joao Pedro, stays on his feet, doesn't commit, holds him up for long enough that rest of team catches up
- He passes out of the back fairly well (not perfect but doesn't fudge it up)
- He and rest of team hold the high line successfully several times, including for the offside goal

I'm sorry, that first & second scenarios, Dier & Sanchez fudge up all day long. That's why Royal gets picked

And I'm not sure why we are bricking on the guy for a role he's never meant to play in?
I’m not
He isn’t a centre back
And he is doing everything he can
When he plays, the team is more linited
But the correlation between him playing there (amongst others) and the goals conceded is an issue

I think there’s only one reason: mobility. He trusts Emerson to be able to get around to clean up when we get exposed, which to be fair he did well against Brighton.

That’s probably Dier’s weakest point.

They’re both poor on the ball and both not CBs for teams anywhere near the top. Hopefully come February we won’t see either of them again.
Possibly
But why not play another centre back who does it for a living?

On PEH, I like the lad and he's a great pro. But he's missing something isn't he?

He is very mediocre on the ball and can't take the ball on the half turn. Just always goes backwards unlike Bissouma who is usually very positive with his first touch. I'll be sorry to see him leave but he can never be more than a bit part player in this system.

Back