• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

A shout out to him tonight - it's clear he isn't the greatest on the ball and likely will never be, but he ran his socks off and looked more like his old self, making interceptions left, right and centre.

Also showed huge game awareness to drag Bergwijn back when he was racing to the crowd, since getting there would have meant Jon Moss giving him his second yellow. :p

Not sure about the yellow, if he books him he has to book soya what's his name for handling the ball on the line.
Other than the last five minutes were he didn't seem to want to give us a free kick i think moss had a very good game.
Never thought I'd say that.

I don’t think he played any differently last night to what he has done these past 6 weeks or so. People see what they choose to see.

- lovely pass, move, and cut back for goal v West Ham
- Could’ve scored v Chelsea. Almost found top corner. Also excellent tackle leading to disallowed goal.
Excellent pass last night for the equaliser

he is limited. He’s never going to be a modric and make us tick in cm. we bought him to be a disruptor and because he can get his head up and pick a pass. He was what we needed in cm at the time.

the criticism he is getting lately seems to be because he isn’t controlling the tempo of our midfield. He will never do that! I also agree he is less useful when we are dominating the ball and trying to unpick a packed defence (Watford, Southampton away)

He is what he is. And he contributes plenty.

I don’t think he played any differently last night to what he has done these past 6 weeks or so. People see what they choose to see.

- Could’ve scored v Chelsea. Almost found top corner. Also excellent tackle leading to disallowed goal.

he is limited. He’s never going to be a modric and make us tick in cm. we bought him to be a disruptor and because he can get his head up and pick a pass. He was what we needed in cm at the time.

the criticism he is getting lately seems to be because he isn’t controlling the tempo of our midfield. He will never do that! I also agree he is less useful when we are dominating the ball and trying to unpick a packed defence (Watford, Southampton away)

It’s a good point actually, I think recent criticism has come from the games v Saints and Watford when we’ve been trying to break down a packed defence. Hojberg isn’t the man for that and we’ve had Ndombele, Lo Celso and Gill on the bench looking on. That’s not really Hojberg’s fault.

Tend to agree with this, he has played a lot of games since he came here and its only over the last month or so he has been given a break, on last nights performance it shows that the break has done him good. Never going to be a great player but is a important one for us as every M/F needs a worker.

Better for sure. That more free disruptor role defensively suits him. Think he needs to do even better on the ball, but will take positive signs like this any day.

picked up on The Extra Inch podcast one specific tidbit. Let's be clear, PEH was immense throughout the game. But in the final 6 minutes of the match:

• Goal saving last ditch block (p.s. go back and watch the video on Socials, watch Tanganga. Gave up chasing, just a light jog back, had no interest in the lost cause)
  • Immense deep field pass to Doherty leading to Bergwijn's first
  • Interception in middle of the park and critical pass forward to Kane to set up Bergwijn's second
Credit where it's due.

Agreed. Windy also realised that the Conte system isn't so much about individuals performing brilliant tricks, it is more about the system enabling people to be in the right place and force good situations and arrive at the right moment. Enabling players (all of whom are good footballers, if not mercurial talents) to show what they are capable of e.g. the throughballs from Winks/Skipp/Hoj are all perfectly good enough and lead to goals/chances. But we wouldn't describe any of them as elite throughball merchants. Hence we don't need to rely on the mercurial talents of Ndombele, we need to get very fit players doing the right things in the right system.

It will be super interesting to see how we line up and how we perform against Cheatski, a very stern test which we nearly always fail, yet Cheatski are in a poor run of form, with several injuries and their own sullen lump up top.

Agreed. Windy also realised that the Conte system isn't so much about individuals performing brilliant tricks, it is more about the system enabling people to be in the right place and force good situations and arrive at the right moment. Enabling players (all of whom are good footballers, if not mercurial talents) to show what they are capable of e.g. the throughballs from Winks/Skipp/Hoj are all perfectly good enough and lead to goals/chances. But we wouldn't describe any of them as elite throughball merchants. Hence we don't need to rely on the mercurial talents of Ndombele, we need to get very fit players doing the right things in the right system.

It will be super interesting to see how we line up and how we perform against Cheatski, a very stern test which we nearly always fail, yet Cheatski are in a poor run of form, with several injuries and their own sullen lump up top.
It’s why I’ve had to repeat that when people say we need a creative CM, that isn’t how conte plays

Back