• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

Re: Official MKII- Paulinho

Paulinho doesn't play well as one of the 2 CMs. If he's coming in he has to replace lamela, Eriksen or Chadli realistically.

I suspect Poch will try to use him as the physical, more direct alternative to Eriksen in games that require such an approach. The role Holtby played in pre-season, essentially.

Don't you think any one of those 3 will get get some injury during the season?

Yes, but that's irrelevant. The point was that soundandvision thought paulinho would be back in 2/3 games.

So the question was who would he replace in our first eleven in that time.

Nothing about long term thoughts over the season.

I suspect Poch will try to use him as the physical, more direct alternative to Eriksen in games that require such an approach. The role Holtby played in pre-season, essentially.

I agree. He could also be useful in that position if we are chasing a game or trying to see a game out

Paulinho doesn't play well as one of the 2 CMs. If he's coming in he has to replace lamela, Eriksen or Chadli realistically.

I think that's the key point. If Poch for the most part deploys a 4-2-3-1 then the 2 midfield players must be a blend between a more defensive minded, disciplined and steady passer of a ball type, partnered by a player who can transition play between defence and attack. Capoue and Bentaleb are the 2 players who best fulfil these characteristics and, IMHO are rightfully the ones in possession of the shirts. The problem is back up.... If you take Sandro to begin with, he tackles well and is defensively minded; however his positional discipline isn't as good as Capoue and his rashness has led to a spate of injuries which unquestionably has affected his overall fitness. In summary, he is a direct replacement for Capoue, however; and primarily because of his injuries, he is an inferior version. The second position, i.e the "transitionary" is even more challenging in terms of like for like replacement - the most obvious one is actually Ryan Mason; however it is very unlikely that he will be given opportunities. Poch, in the event Bentaleb is injured or losses form will therefore have to play someone with different characteristics and ultimately will need to alter tactically how the team plays i.e if it's Dembele we will get slower transition and probably the need for Eriksen to drop deeper. On the plus side, Dembele is physically stronger and may offer a better goal threat than Bentaleb from long distance. Holtby and Paulinho are different again with their key strength being their ability to arrive late to the front 4. Holtby is a better passer but has shocking tactical awareness while Paulinho is the opposite and is out most natural goal scorer from midfield.

For me Dembele needs to be kept and potentially could be moulded into the defensive shield. He is a better athlete than Capoue, has a good short pass and is good in the air. Radical I know; however the basic attributes and raw material are there and if any coach could do potentially it would be Poch. I'd also keep Paulinho and, as people have said, play him further up the pitch sacrificing one of the line of 3 behind the striker. This is an option for those tough away games and similarly if Poch goes 4-3-3 in some of those games, he could fit in there.

If I am honest I don't see a future for Holtby so understand why he might be moved on. Ryan Mason looked good in the US and does have the attributes to play in that transitioning role; however he is untested in this league and not sure he will be given opportunities. I would also let Sandro go as I think the injuries have gotten the better of him and he is inferior to the player that we all loved and worshipped 3 seasons ago.

That leaves Capoue, Bentaleb, Dembele, Paulinho and Mason which, as I say, if Dembele could do the defensive role and Mason keeps developing we are just about covering our needs. If Mason stagnates and Poch doesn't see the potential in making Dembele a DM, then we will be in trouble.

As I have felt all summer MS or a similar signing is critical and that way Mason could go on loan and develop and we are left with; the four I have already highlighted plus the additional "transitionary" midfielder. This gives us depth, variety and options and physically enough so as not to get bullied away to say a Stoke.

I love Bentaleb and see him being a real star; however he is very young and so a more natural back up to him who will play at least 50% of the games is I think the one missing from the squad and hopefully something Levy can solve in the next few days.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I think Paulinho could quite easily function as one of the 2, just because it hadn't worked in a shocking debut season for the club as a whole when he hadn't had any rest before joining a new league...I wouldn't write him off just yet.

agree with a lot of that post supie.

Paulinho's game, to me, seems to be based on a free role where he can focus on anticipating our attacking play and getting in to goal scoring positions in and around the box - i don't see much that says he can play in the '2' if im honest

Strange couple of tweets from Paulinho in the last 10 minutes... what is he up to?

I feel good and I just want to help the team in the Premier League and Europa League @SpursOfficial #COYS

And then just

@SpursOfficial #COYS

Is somebody trying to push him out the door and he is desperately tweeting that he wants to stay
Or did he get some good news that he is staying
Or is he just an insomniac that decided to tweet suddenly tonight after weeks of silence?

Strange couple of tweets from Paulinho in the last 10 minutes... what is he up to?

I feel good and I just want to help the team in the Premier League and Europa League @SpursOfficial #COYS

And then just

@SpursOfficial #COYS

Is somebody trying to push him out the door and he is desperately tweeting that he wants to stay
Or did he get some good news that he is staying
Or is he just an insomniac that decided to tweet suddenly tonight after weeks of silence?

Strange way to go about securing your place at the club, surely? :-k

I think that's the key point. If Poch for the most part deploys a 4-2-3-1 then the 2 midfield players must be a blend between a more defensive minded, disciplined and steady passer of a ball type, partnered by a player who can transition play between defence and attack. Capoue and Bentaleb are the 2 players who best fulfil these characteristics and, IMHO are rightfully the ones in possession of the shirts. The problem is back up.... If you take Sandro to begin with, he tackles well and is defensively minded; however his positional discipline isn't as good as Capoue and his rashness has led to a spate of injuries which unquestionably has affected his overall fitness. In summary, he is a direct replacement for Capoue, however; and primarily because of his injuries, he is an inferior version. The second position, i.e the "transitionary" is even more challenging in terms of like for like replacement - the most obvious one is actually Ryan Mason; however it is very unlikely that he will be given opportunities. Poch, in the event Bentaleb is injured or losses form will therefore have to play someone with different characteristics and ultimately will need to alter tactically how the team plays i.e if it's Dembele we will get slower transition and probably the need for Eriksen to drop deeper. On the plus side, Dembele is physically stronger and may offer a better goal threat than Bentaleb from long distance. Holtby and Paulinho are different again with their key strength being their ability to arrive late to the front 4. Holtby is a better passer but has shocking tactical awareness while Paulinho is the opposite and is out most natural goal scorer from midfield.

For me Dembele needs to be kept and potentially could be moulded into the defensive shield. He is a better athlete than Capoue, has a good short pass and is good in the air. Radical I know; however the basic attributes and raw material are there and if any coach could do potentially it would be Poch. I'd also keep Paulinho and, as people have said, play him further up the pitch sacrificing one of the line of 3 behind the striker. This is an option for those tough away games and similarly if Poch goes 4-3-3 in some of those games, he could fit in there.

If I am honest I don't see a future for Holtby so understand why he might be moved on. Ryan Mason looked good in the US and does have the attributes to play in that transitioning role; however he is untested in this league and not sure he will be given opportunities. I would also let Sandro go as I think the injuries have gotten the better of him and he is inferior to the player that we all loved and worshipped 3 seasons ago.

That leaves Capoue, Bentaleb, Dembele, Paulinho and Mason which, as I say, if Dembele could do the defensive role and Mason keeps developing we are just about covering our needs. If Mason stagnates and Poch doesn't see the potential in making Dembele a DM, then we will be in trouble.

As I have felt all summer MS or a similar signing is critical and that way Mason could go on loan and develop and we are left with; the four I have already highlighted plus the additional "transitionary" midfielder. This gives us depth, variety and options and physically enough so as not to get bullied away to say a Stoke.

I love Bentaleb and see him being a real star; however he is very young and so a more natural back up to him who will play at least 50% of the games is I think the one missing from the squad and hopefully something Levy can solve in the next few days.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Nice viewpoint except Dembele is not that player, if you want a Capoue alternative, its Sandro

Back