• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paul Mitchell - Head of Recruitment and Analysis

Must say I expected more from this window when Mitchell was recruited...

Not exactly rocket science to target Toby, Trippier, McCarthy, Berahino, Austin etc...

Not exactly rocket science to target Toby, Trippier, McCarthy, Berahino, Austin etc...

Trippier looks like a very Mitchell signing from what I have read of him. And if the manager wants us to primarily prioritise Premier League experienced players, what is Mitchell meant to do?

The other side of Mitchell's role is analysing first team squad and youth team players.

i suppose the proof will be in how these players perform in the team rather than who they are - if our success rate in the market improves over the coming seasons then that may point to his analysis doing it's job

These players are at our level. Not top 4 players that we'd like but we're not a top 4 club so they're about as good as we could hope for I'm afraid.

Mitchell's role isn't necessarily to identify players who no one else has ever heard of before. His role is to identify players who will fit best with the manager's requirements and the other players already at the club.

If that means buying players who are already well known to the Premier League and to fans generally, then so be it.

Nobody would be moaning if signed a bunch of unknowns with no PL experience. :rolleyes:

Sure but everyone would be happy if we managed to get a couple of unknown quantities from the continent together with the experienced premiership boys. The EPL buys we are likely to make are unlikely to be top 4 material - these will go to CL teams (as we saw with Schneiderlin) or to those with bigger pockets (Benteke to Pool). Therefore our only option of breaking into top 4 is to unearth our next Modric or Berba...

Sure but everyone would be happy if we managed to get a couple of unknown quantities from the continent together with the experienced premiership boys. The EPL buys we are likely to make are unlikely to be top 4 material - these will go to CL teams (as we saw with Schneiderlin) or to those with bigger pockets (Benteke to Pool). Therefore our only option of breaking into top 4 is to unearth our next Modric or Berba...

I guess that's why we're trying to sign the likes of Werner, N'Jie and Martial instead of Berahino and Benteke.

Capoue, Stambouli, Fazio?

I don't particularly feel ecstatic by our signings but at least I know they're familiar with the EPL hence ruling out any settling in period.

Maybe Alli will be that player?

Maybe Wimmer will prove to be a top quality central defender?

i suppose the proof will be in how these players perform in the team rather than who they are - if our success rate in the market improves over the coming seasons then that may point to his analysis doing it's job

I suppose we also have to acknowledge and accept that he's probably going to have a more difficult job identifying players at a level (and a price) that will improve Spurs, as opposed to Southampton.

Don't forget that his job is not just to go out and find new players, it's to stop new players from getting in the way of talent we already have if he believes that talent is good enough.

It's possible that he may have already advised Poch against a number of targets because of talent he already believes is at the club.

Players signed since the appointment of Mitchell:

Alli
Wimmer
Trippier
Alderweireld
N'Jie
Son

Think somebody deserves a pat on the back here...

We were tracking most of them long before he arrived though.

The one that really says black box is N'Jie.

Back