• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pape Matar Sarr

The squad was another tiny glimmer of hope today. With Richarlison back, Bissouma, Kulu, Gil, Sarr - who was awesome playing in a charged and pressured game with little time on the ball.

I just want us to address the backline. Our back 6 is midtable at best. Feel like it is the root of our issues.

The squad was another tiny glimmer of hope today. With Richarlison back, Bissouma, Kulu, Gil, Sarr - who was awesome playing in a charged and pressured game with little time on the ball.

I just want us to address the backline. Our back 6 is midtable at best. Feel like it is the root of our issues.
You can fix the nerves in the back line by getting rid of Edward scissor hands

You can fix the nerves in the back line by getting rid of Edward scissor hands

That is the thing - it’s not any one player. But collectively they are lacking. For example Lloris is a good shot stopper, but he’s not good enough in other phases. He tries to anticipate and can be too hasty. Plus when the team are conceding too many it gets worse as no one feels secure. Today Lloris anticipated a pull back and Sess didn’t seem aware of his own positioning leaving too much space along the line.

We have decent players across the back line each with certain attributes. But none are commanding defensively. You don’t feel confidence in any one of them in certain situations. First off I think we need a CB that can dominate in the air. Then we need Sessengon to feel at home at the back. Get his spatial awareness, positioning and some pomp. He needs to feel he can keep players like Saka quiet - as he can. First game back for him and other than the goal he was decent - going forward he added some dynamism.

But all 6 positions in our defence can be improved on. That is our main problem imo.

That is the thing - it’s not any one player. But collectively they are lacking. For example Lloris is a good shot stopper, but he’s not good enough in other phases. He tries to anticipate and can be too hasty. Plus when the team are conceding too many it gets worse as no one feels secure. Today Lloris anticipated a pull back and Sess didn’t seem aware of his own positioning leaving too much space along the line.

We have decent players across the back line each with certain attributes. But none are commanding defensively. You don’t feel confidence in any one of them in certain situations. First off I think we need a CB that can dominate in the air. Then we need Sessengon to feel at home at the back. Get his spatial awareness, positioning and some pomp. He needs to feel he can keep players like Saka quiet - as he can. First game back for him and other than the goal he was decent - going forward he added some dynamism.

But all 6 positions in our defence can be improved on. That is our main problem imo.
Fix the keeper and you stop the nerves
He can’t kick and he has a big say in the opposition scoring key goals
He is costing us games

Fix the keeper and you stop the nerves
He can’t kick and he has a big say in the opposition scoring key goals
He is costing us games

Interesting today that in the warm up, they worked Hugo on his kicking. Can’t recall seeing many keepers being worked like that before. Made dingdong all difference, his distribution was still poor.

On Sarr, he had a good half against Palace, a good game against Pompey by all accounts and a reasonable game today. Let’s not get carried away and put too much pressure on him.

Interesting today that in the warm up, they worked Hugo on his kicking. Can’t recall seeing many keepers being worked like that before. Made dingdong all difference, his distribution was still poor.

On Sarr, he had a good half against Palace, a good game against Pompey by all accounts and a reasonable game today. Let’s not get carried away and put too much pressure on him.

I'll happily get carried away and then have to backtrack. Definitely agree on limiting the pressure though, and there should be room for much worse performances at some point from a very young player.

Thought he was much better than reasonable. In difficult circumstances in the first half he didn't look out of place at all. Did a really good job. Not peak Bentancur, but still. Really impressive.

When the game changed in the second half he equally did a really good job.

For his young age and lack of experience I thought he was excellent. Ignoring the age and experience thing I thought he was really good.

I'll happily get carried away and then have to backtrack. Definitely agree on limiting the pressure though, and there should be room for much worse performances at some point from a very young player.

Thought he was much better than reasonable. In difficult circumstances in the first half he didn't look out of place at all. Did a really good job. Not peak Bentancur, but still. Really impressive.

When the game changed in the second half he equally did a really good job.

For his young age and lack of experience I thought he was excellent. Ignoring the age and experience thing I thought he was really good.
As I said in my previous observations of him...he doesn't look like the occasion affects him at all. It just looks like a game of football to him, and he just goes about his business.

Bentancur works well, PEH does not. We still get overrun. Even with Sarr we'll probably get overrun but the use of the ball will be better.
I'm more than up for a Bentancur/Sarr partnership, mainly because stylistically they are lovely players to watch live. And let's face it there's not a lot, stylistically, to enjoy about this team beyond the odd moments of brilliance.

Back