• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Overreaction..

It is not a case of goals being all that matters but when other players are not turning Bales's goals are the only reason we have even half a chance of making CL. There were 9 other outfield players on Saturday and not one of them looked remotely like scoring so thank funk for Bale.

By the way how many times this season have you argued that Bale should play on the right wing?

I've argued that he should be on the wing pretty much the majority of the games he's played central. He's just gone and scored a goal from central though whenever he plays there usually. His overall performance when playing central though for me decreases.

I've argued that he should be on the wing pretty much the majority of the games he's played central. He's just gone and scored a goal from central though whenever he plays there usually. His overall performance when playing central though for me decreases.

I agree. Bale is too selfish to play the central role in my mind. He is a very direct player and is not the type to be looking for the pass as soon as he receives the ball, he will be looking at where he is on the pitch and how he can get a shot away from a decent position. As well he should given that is where his talents lie, however the central player should be looking to knit the play together far more.

(assuming a 4-2-3-1)

You're contradicting yourself - he just completed a 20-goal season return from a central position and you're suggesting his performances 'decrease'?

You're contradicting yourself - he just completed a 20-goal season return from a central position and you're suggesting his performances 'decrease'?

It's not contradictory at all, just look at the Southampton game.

He scored a goal. His overall performance was pretty bad though.

He's played centrally for most of the season and been our best player by a country mile - sorry but what exactly more do you expect from him - 3 assists per game?

Kind of hard with the dross supporting him upfront

That Ronaldo boy - what else does he do besides being a little selfish and scoring 60 goals per season . . .

So let me get this straight - you want him back on the wing where he might be able to cross / pass more to one of our strikers (no proof whatsoever that playing out wide results in more passes, but anyway) who might score instead of paying the way he's been playing so far and being one of the world's best players?

He's played centrally for most of the season and been our best player by a country mile - sorry but what exactly more do you expect from him - 3 assists per game?

Kind of hard with the dross supporting him upfront

That Ronaldo boy - what else does he do besides being a little selfish and scoring 60 goals per season . . .

Well Ronaldo does it from a position that is far more acceptable, exactly why i think that Bale should play out wide. Exactly like Ronaldo does.

It's not that he hasn't played well, it's that he hasn't played a role befitting his position on the pitch, which in my mind is also one of the reasons we struggle to play 'attractive' football.

So let me get this straight - you want him back on the wing where he might be able to cross / pass more to one of our strikers (no proof whatsoever that playing out wide results in more passes, but anyway) who might score instead of paying the way he's been playing so far and being one of the world's best players?

No, i want him out on the wing because i think he will score the same number of goals out there, but it would leave space centrally for us to place a more creative player in the side.

No, i want him out on the wing because i think he will score the same number of goals out there, but it would leave space centrally for us to place a more creative player in the side.

- How would he score more from the wing when that hasn't been the case in the past in addition to working with limited space and freedom in addition to extra defensive duties? Both Ronaldo and Messi have 'free-roles' within their respective setups - AVB is no fool

- Who is this creative player we can deploy in the middle who would better his goal-return?

Well Ronaldo does it from a position that is far more acceptable, exactly why i think that Bale should play out wide. Exactly like Ronaldo does.

It's not that he hasn't played well, it's that he hasn't played a role befitting his position on the pitch, which in my mind is also one of the reasons we struggle to play 'attractive' football.

Ronaldo doesn't play out wide - forget the pre-match Sky graphics - he's deployed in a loose role and has the freedeom to lurk wherever he likes - I watch many of their games and can vouch for this 100% - Di Maria / Ozil operate out wide usually - or Kaka on occasion.

In fact - I'd argue AVB has emulated Bale's role on that very player in many ways (possibly also manifested in his free-kicks, etc.) - and to great success

- How would he score more from the wing when that hasn't been the case in the past in addition to working with limited space and freedom in addition to extra defensive duties? Both Ronaldo and Messi have 'free-roles' within their respective setups - AVB is no fool

- Who is this creative player we can deploy in the middle who would better his goal-return?

In the past he has played on the left, whilst he would be placed on the right allowing him to cut inside and score his goals. He's actually scored a number of goals this season doing that exact routine. He would have the same amount of defensive duties on the right as he has in the centre in a 4-2-3-1.

The creative player in the centre isn't just about improving Bale, it's about improving the base of the side. I would stick either in there. He would bring others into the game, link up bale ade and Dempsey.

He only got moved to central after the home game against Saudi Sportswashing Machine didnt he?

He was scoring goals before that game. I don't see why his goals tally would decrease if he was on the wing. He'd probably create more because he is one of the best crossers of the ball in the world, he has fantastic technique, he can also cut in to where the space is at and score goals. I don't know,i just think in the centre he struggles to get involved as much, he does score though so what can ya do? that's all people care about and what wins you games, GOALS!

Played centrally against West Ham, scored two fantastic goals from the centre of the park, he was outstanding that day though in my opinion. Played central against Arsenal the following game and was quiet apart from his goal, but he still got on the scoresheet. Central against Liverpool, he didn't do much until he found himself outwide and got an assist for Vertonghens first. Central against Swansea and fair enough set up Vertonghens goal with a brilliant pass and move and scored a cracker from central. Played central against Emirates Marketing Project but it wasn't until he went out to the right that he got the assist for Dempseys goal and then ended up getting his goal. Started central against Southampton and despite being poor all game, he come out to the right, got the ball, cut in and scored a beauty. (also done this against West Brom)

I think he should line up on the wing. He can drift all he wants but i'd like to see him end up on the wing a lot more because I do feel he can do a lot of damage there. Especially on the right wing where he predominantly plays for Wales.

In the past he has played on the left, whilst he would be placed on the right allowing him to cut inside and score his goals. He's actually scored a number of goals this season doing that exact routine. He would have the same amount of defensive duties on the right as he has in the centre in a 4-2-3-1.

The creative player in the centre isn't just about improving Bale, it's about improving the base of the side. I would stick either in there. He would bring others into the game, link up bale ade and Dempsey.

Sigurdsson is not that player, I'm afraid (could well be in the future - hopefully) - I'd be reluctant to compromise Bale's form on the pre-text of Sig transforming into this mythical #10 in a Del Piero mould

I think he's far more useful out wide with his decent delivery and cut-back on the right stronger foot (Di Maria) with Bale the threat in a more central position where he has the area to do far more damage (much like knights on a chess-board becoming isolated on the edges)

All imho

Last edited:
Sigurdsson is not that player, I'm afraid (could well be in the future - hopefully) - I'd be reluctant to compromise Bale's form on the pre-text of Sig transforming into this mythical #10 in a Del Piero mould

I think he's far more useful out wide with his decent delivery and cut-back on the right stronger foot (Di Maria) with Bale the threat in a more central position where he has the area to do far more damage (much like knights on a chess-board becoming isolated on the edges)

I agree on Sigurdsson, he's also primarily a direct player. He feeds on getting the ball in space between the lines and either finding the room to shoot or make direct passes into the box. He's a better pass and move player than Bale I suppose, but that's not his main strength.

I do think Bale can work well from the right though and I hope we play a 4-3-3 against Chelsea with Bale switching between the left and right flanks with the freedom to move centrally when it suits him.

All imho

I didn't say Sig would be a del piero, i just stated he would link our attacking four together in a better way than Bale does. I don't think Bale would be isolated at all. Partly because he would be mobile. He wouldn't sit on the right, he'd make runs across the box dragging defenders with him, opening up the flank for Walker to exploit and get a cross in (theoretically, if Walker's crossing was better).

A 4-3-3 with Bale on the right would be preferable imo, due to the lack of that AM who can knit our play together in a Hazard/Mata type role.

I think Bale is a better scorer from out wide because most of his goals come from running on to the ball and building up a head of steam, which he's more likely to from out wide since diagonals > straight lines - he's really not so good at finishing tap-ins or shooting from a static position. The goals he's had through the center come from being able to go on massive runs, but if he gets that much space it doesn't matter what his nominal starting position is. He's also more creative out wide imo since he gets more space there and his crossing is better than his throughball, though I guess you have to wonder who will manage to get on the end of his crosses. I would start him out wide and give him the freedom to roam so long as others have the movement and discipline to cover for him.

I do think we lack a genuine attacking playmaker, which I hope we address this summer - Siggy has looked invisible at CAM since like Dempsey he's been more of a 'lying in wait' sort of supporting striker than a true playmaker, while Holtby's never been prolific in front of goal in Germany. If push came to shove I would prefer including Holtby and Carroll in a three-man mid for creativity and possession through the center without a natural no. 10 (both have played AM before and can pick out a clever pass, but have appeared more CM-ish this season for us), with something like Siggy-Ade-Bale in front (a wide AM/supporting striker, a deep forward, and Bale as essentially a wide+second striker).

I don't think starting positions matter nearly as much as good pressing and movement. It shouldn't be impossible for Siggy to get more involved in build up or focus on cutting out passes from the Chelsea backline - it may not come naturally to him, but sheer energy could at least free up some room for players like Bale to make the difference.

Back