• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our defenders - rated overall in their time with Spurs

Again, I was countering the point about our midfield not tracking runners being the problem, not deficiencies with our wing backs lack of defensive ability.

Wing Backs are midfield and defence, its critical duel role

And as for the CM, if you have not seen us over run and over played in several games you have not been looking IMO

Wing Backs are midfield and defence, its critical duel role

And as for the CM, if you have not seen us over run and over played in several games you have not been looking IMO
I think in your original post you were blaming Hojbjerg (as is quite popular).

I talk about us getting overrun in the middle a lot and explain it is because we have an extra defender, you seem to ignore this though.

I think in your original post you were blaming Hojbjerg (as is quite popular).

I talk about us getting overrun in the middle a lot and explain it is because we have an extra defender, you seem to ignore this though.

I have been hugely clear that I think the lack of coverage of defence is a team, system issue, I have said it on many posts. I said that PEH not having one of his best games again did not help but was not singling him out, I also clearly said Porro having a mare did not help (It didnt).

Again and this is for the umptenth time because you seem to be chosing to ignore this part that I have literally tagged on every post about this. The defence has been poor, but they are not alone in our defensive frailties and even if we improve the back three they will become exposed if others don't fill in and do their duties and others don't lose the ball in dangerous areas>

Last edited:
Mendy scores rocket as Foxes batter Spurs! | Leicester 4-1 Tottenham | EPL Highlights - YouTube

Example

1:31 - Blind round the corner pass from Perisic, absolutely clueless, Bentancur and PEH below the half way line, ball comes forward, look at when they finally come back into shot right at the end, walking....despite two Leicester attackers managing to make up the same amount of space, absolute lack of desire to even get back. Yes the man with the ball takes the initiative and Dier helps him, but at the time the two CMs don't know that and do absolutely nothing to anticipate other dangers.

2:04 - Sarr and PEH absolute calamity in the header and total lack of strength means they break in numbers and score a disallowed goal. Compounded by Tanganga diving in but that effort comes from a total lack of basics from absolutely everyone

2:35 - Ball played into a player being tracked by PEH who inexplicably lets Barnes go and starts to step up to the ball carrier despite the ball already being played which I honestly don't get which gives Barnes all the freedom in the world to pick his spot, again compounded by lack of closing from the defence

Have a look at literally every chance if you can be arsed and its a team calamity for literally every chance, brainless balls, lack of effort, no filling in, no chasing back and a dreadful back line performance. The more I watch it the more the whole side take blame for Saturday, you don't give up that many chances with it only being the back three, its absolutely a team fudge up

We lose way too many goals from 16-20 yards out, even when sitting deep with three cbs in the box.
Either the opposition are getting way too much time at the edge of our box or we are suffering from a run of unlikely goals.
I know which one i think it is.

We lose way too many goals from 16-20 yards out, even when sitting deep with three cbs in the box.
Either the opposition are getting way too much time at the edge of our box or we are suffering from a run of unlikely goals.
I know which one i think it is.
At the weekend it was unlikely goals. Xg shows you that. But also how you attempt to defend the shots isn’t factored into those numbers

Mendy scores rocket as Foxes batter Spurs! | Leicester 4-1 Tottenham | EPL Highlights - YouTube

Example

1:31 - Blind round the corner pass from Perisic, absolutely clueless, Bentancur and PEH below the half way line, ball comes forward, look at when they finally come back into shot right at the end, walking....despite two Leicester attackers managing to make up the same amount of space, absolute lack of desire to even get back. Yes the man with the ball takes the initiative and Dier helps him, but at the time the two CMs don't know that and do absolutely nothing to anticipate other dangers.

2:04 - Sarr and PEH absolute calamity in the header and total lack of strength means they break in numbers and score a disallowed goal. Compounded by Tanganga diving in but that effort comes from a total lack of basics from absolutely everyone

2:35 - Ball played into a player being tracked by PEH who inexplicably lets Barnes go and starts to step up to the ball carrier despite the ball already being played which I honestly don't get which gives Barnes all the freedom in the world to pick his spot, again compounded by lack of closing from the defence

Have a look at literally every chance if you can be arsed and its a team calamity for literally every chance, brainless balls, lack of effort, no filling in, no chasing back and a dreadful back line performance. The more I watch it the more the whole side take blame for Saturday, you don't give up that many chances with it only being the back three, its absolutely a team fudge up
You've ignored the goal at 1.00 I notice where our back 3 are in terrible positions relative to each other? We have 3 CBs and the opposition have a lone centre forward and yet we don't have a CB within 10 yards of the Ihenacho as he receives the ball centrally only 20 yards outside of our penalty area.

1:31. Yes poor blind pass from Perisic, I don't understand why Perisic seems to get such a free run on this site in general, I think he has shown nothing for us other than taking a decent corner kick. I notice though that you again ignore the terrible positions that our 3 CBs are in relative to each other. Why the fudge is Dier a full 20 yards behind the other two? That is absolute woeful positioning, I doubt even our youth team defences would be that badly organised. Whether PEH or Bentancur or both of them tried to get back on that occasion wouldn't have mattered, it was Ihenacho, their CF that scored the goal and neither of our central midfielders should be expected to be picking him up (or are you suggesting that despite us having an extra centre back to pretty much the entire rest of the league we should still expect one of our central midfield two to pick up the opposition's lone centre forward?
If you pause the video at 1:49 you can see exactly how terrible our back 3 are in terms of their positioning, I mean what on earth is Dier actually doing in that position? He is literally covering no danger at all as well as providing a chasm of onside space for Leicester to play into. If he wants to drop off a little from the other two then he has to at least get himself somewhere reasonably close to Ihenacho. Absolutely damning and really, really weird that you would use that as an example to try to explain that our midfield two are responsible for our poor defending?

2:04. I agree poor from both Sarr and Hojbjerg to lose the ball between them, but again what are our 3 CBs doing? As Hojbjerg loses the ball what impact are the three of them having on the game, Leicester's lone CF has dropped deeper and despite us having 3 CBs with none of them actually having anyone to mark, they have all stayed deep and given some wonderful space in front of them for the opposition to drop into and play. Why on earth has one of the 3 CBs (it should be Dier) not got themselves into that area to that they are close to Ihenacho? Tanganga eventually gambles, which leaves the ball on to Barnes but if Dier gets himself out to Ihenacho that goal doesn't happen. It's made even more galling when you see the very first frame from that highlight where Dier is literally one yard behind Ihenacho. It is then a full 3 seconds (a long while in football) before Ihenacho receives the ball). As he sees that ball go into Hojbjerg and the player bearing down on Hojbjerg, Dier has to get himself out to Ihenacho. There is no danger in behind at that point and no need to stay deep. There should be no way with us playing with an extra CB, that one of the CBs shouldn't push up when the opposition's lone CF drops into the space in that position. It is diabolical play from our centre backs there again.

2:35, it is difficult to know where to start for that one, we really are all over the place. Sanchez is probably the player in the worst position. It looks to me like Hojbjerg sees Maddison run behind Son and thinks Barnes is going to play a one two back to him so tries to cover Maddison instead of Barnes. Again though, 3 CBs and yet the opposition can still have a shot from the edge of the D in a central position without one of those 3 CBs anywhere near him. What is the point in sacrificing a midfield player for another centre back if the centre backs we have aren't going to actually defend the centre?

Last edited:
You've ignored the goal at 1.00 I notice where our back 3 are in terrible positions relative to each other? We have 3 CBs and the opposition have a lone centre forward and yet we don't have a CB within 10 yards of the Ihenacho as he receives the ball centrally only 20 yards outside of our penalty area.

1:31. Yes poor blind pass from Perisic, I don't understand why Perisic seems to get such a free run on this site in general, I think he has shown nothing for us other than taking a decent corner kick. I notice though that you again ignore the terrible positions that our 3 CBs are in relative to each other. Why the fudge is Dier a full 20 yards behind the other two? That is absolute woeful positioning, I doubt even our youth team defences would be that badly organised. Whether PEH or Bentancur or both of them tried to get back on that occasion wouldn't have mattered, it was Ihenacho, their CF that scored the goal and neither of our central midfielders should be expected to be picking him up (or are you suggesting that despite us having an extra centre back to pretty much the entire rest of the league we should still expect one of our central midfield two to pick up the opposition's lone centre forward?
If you pause the video at 1:49 you can see exactly how terrible our back 3 are in terms of their positioning, I mean what on earth is Dier actually doing in that position? He is literally covering no danger at all as well as providing a chasm of onside space for Leicester to play into. If he wants to drop off a little from the other two then he has to at least get himself somewhere reasonably close to Ihenacho. Absolutely damning and really, really weird that you would use that as an example to try to explain that our midfield two are responsible for our poor defending?

2:04. I agree poor from both Sarr and Hojbjerg to lose the ball between them, but again what are our 3 CBs doing? As Hojbjerg loses the ball what impact are the three of them having on the game, Leicester's lone CF has dropped deeper and despite us having 3 CBs with none of them actualy having anyone to mark, they have all stayed deep and given some wonderful space in front of them for the opposition to drop into and play. Why on earth has one of the 3 CBs (it should be Dier) not got themselves into that area to that they are close to Inacho? Tanganga eventually gambles, which leaves the ball on to Barnes but if Dier gets himself out to Inacho that goal doesn't happen. It's made even more galling when you see the very first frame from that highlight where Dier is literally one yard behind Ihenacho. It is then a full 3 seconds (a long while in football) before Ihenacho receives the ball). As he sees that ball go into Hojbjerg and the player bearing down on Hojbjerg, Dier has to get himself out to Ihenacho. There is no danger in behind at that point and no need to stay deep. There should be no way with us playing with an extra CB, that one of the CBs shouldn't push up when the opposition's lone CF drops into the space in that position. It is diabolical play from our centre backs there again.

2:35, it is difficult to know where to start for that one, we really are all over the place. Sanchez is probably the player in the worst position. It looks to me like Hojbjerg sees Maddison run behind Son and thinks Barnes is going to play a one two back to him so tries to cover Maddison instead of Barnes. Again though, 3 CBs and yet the opposition can still have a shot from the edge of the D in a central position without one of those 3 CBs anywhere near him. What is the point in sacrificing a midfield player for another centre back if the centre backs we have aren't going to actually defend the centre?
So in short we agree, defenders are poor and as a team we also don't help ourselves defensively from other areas

Glad we got there eventually

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

We're nowhere near good enough defensively.

Romero and Emerson imo the only players in our "back 6" (wing backs, centre backs and goalkeeper) that are currently clearly good enough defensively for where we want to be. Still (imo) question marks over Emerson when attacking and the opposite seems true for Porro. So we have... Romero.

I still think a couple of the others can be good enough to be starters for us if others are upgraded on to more effectively compensate for the various shortcomings at the back.

I do also think some of our issues are more related to how we defend as a team, from the forwards and back. Having two forwards in Kane and Son with a (imo) limited defensive work rate causes issues behind them.

For me the solution next season is to upgrade, no doubt. If we can upgrade both CCB and LCB, as well as adequate cover for Romero. But if we can do just some of that business I think we can still improve significantly. One top class CB along with Romero and one of Dier and Davies would be a significant improvement.

For the short term. Must hope that Romero stats fit. Must hope that Skipp or Sarr or preferably both hit the ground running after limited game time. Perhaps give Richarlison or Danjuma a chance.

I have limited expectations that a move to a back four would make much of a difference. I have limited expectations that a move to a midfield three/five would make much of a difference. I doubt Conte will do those things anyway.

FowGnf9XoAATeuW

This was the back 4 in Poch's last game.

At the weekend it was unlikely goals. Xg shows you that. But also how you attempt to defend the shots isn’t factored into those numbers

I first and the third looked like hit and hope to me, the third was one of those, take a corner and run down the clock.

I first and the third looked like hit and hope to me, the third was one of those, take a corner and run down the clock.
Yep
Unlikely goals
But teams that are excellent have a low Xg against and exceed their xg win leagues
Sonny did that regularly and now he can’t control a ball

Last edited:
I have noticed that our CB'S fail to close down a ball carrier, it's as if they wait for somebody else to commit and usually by then the damage has been done with a defence splitting pass or a shot on goal. Dier is the worst for this, as he loves to leave it up to somebody else.

Ha, I didn't even read the above link until after my post. Seems I'm onto something.

fr5vH4L.png

Now, I'd make some assumptions

- Defenders will obviously be more "liable" (note, the analysis is negative actions, not necessarily error/absolutely at fault)
- You would have to take the games played into equation

With that in mind
- Dier & Lloris are in a disaster class by themselves
- Sanchez, Sess & Porro are in a bad place simply by games played (Porro the one with some hope)

fr5vH4L.png

Now, I'd make some assumptions

- Defenders will obviously be more "liable" (note, the analysis is negative actions, not necessarily error/absolutely at fault)
- You would have to take the games played into equation

With that in mind
- Dier & Lloris are in a disaster class by themselves
- Sanchez, Sess & Porro are in a bad place simply by games played (Porro the one with some hope)

Great post!

Back