• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OT - Late Subs

bit open to abuse that, who would trust the stadium clock at old trafford for example

You'd have an official managing the clock, stopping and starting it. I assume it would be linked to the fourth official's timing as he deals with substitutes. In rugby the ref is miked so he tells calls stop the clock for injuries or infractions.

The current system is open to abuse as well with Fergie in the 4th officials ear.

_49476878_until_we_score.jpg

A veteran pro probably wouldn't like to come on like that,
but I can see it being good for a youngster like Mason.
Feeling the atmosphere at the lane and also getting his name out there.5 mins would be better of course.

Ref blew the whistle too early yesterday,
first half before the 45 mins were up if im not mistaken,
and should have given another minute towards the end due to injury and subs.

Going back to the "Our fans" thread - I find this point a little silly. There was no atmosphere at the lane yesterday. It was a joke. (Sorry im still a bit wound up from yesterday)
So, if I was Ryan Mason, I would have felt a little silly coming on for no point at all!

A veteran pro probably wouldn't like to come on like that,
but I can see it being good for a youngster like Mason.
Feeling the atmosphere at the lane and also getting his name out there.
5 mins would be better of course.

Ref blew the whistle too early yesterday,
first half before the 45 mins were up if im not mistaken,
and should have given another minute towards the end due to injury and subs

!00% spot on. Ref blew the whislte at 44.46 in the 1st half (would you ever see that happen at Old Trafford)

and in the 2nd half, I'm sure AVB and the rest of us were expecting another min 30 secs if not 60, to be added to the additonal 3 mins due to the subs and injury (again wouldnt happen at OT if United were drawing I bet)

!00% spot on. Ref blew the whislte at 44.46 in the 1st half (would you ever see that happen at Old Trafford)

and in the 2nd half, I'm sure AVB and the rest of us were expecting another min 30 secs if not 60, to be added to the additonal 3 mins due to the subs and injury (again wouldnt happen at OT if United were drawing I bet)

ITV's clock was wrong.

What I didn't understand about the sub was two fold:

Late subs are usually introduced to waste time. Surely we wanted the win?
And the biggest confusion for me was that we had a throw in. Bale was going to launch it into the box for what could be the last action of the game. We take off a tall strong player and put on a midget instead!

I think that, unless there is an injury or another genuine reason, clubs should be blocked from making subs in stoppage time at the end of the game or it should equal more than 30 seconds per sub.

Bringing Mason on was pointless. Sure he gets to soak up the atmosphere from a different part of the stadium to the previous 93 minutes, but for 7 seconds on the field it was not worth the hassle.

Lazio tried their best to waste time at the end of the game and it served no purpose other than to disrupt the game. If the manager can justify why he wants to make a sub (other than 'to give him a run out' or 'to waste time') then sure, but the fresh legs option seems redundant with 1 minute to go. If the team is facing a corner and he wants to bring on a 6'3 defender this may be justifiable, as it is a tactical sub.. but then the attacking team could bring on a player just to take the kick.

You know its a brick game when the ref blows up early.

I did laugh - but only knew about it when my mate texted me.

So if you're winning, you simply sub the player furthest away and be as slow as possible and then repeat on an individual basis for any remaining subs?

That is already being done by some teams, they prepare the player that is going off and tell him to move as far away as he can.

To be fair managers also use a sub at this time to give individual players a chance to get some recogniton from the crowd for a good performance. If you are looking at time wasting you have to look more at the time keepers waste to take goal kicks.

Late substitutions are usually just time wasting. I'd like to see substitutions banned after 85 mins.
I'd also like to see an additional substitution allowed in cup games with go into extra time.

Late substitutions are usually just time wasting. I'd like to see substitutions banned after 85 mins.
I'd also like to see an additional substitution allowed in cup games with go into extra time.

you cant ban subs - what if someone is injured? and if thats allowed - what will stop playing feigning injury?

I agree with the additional subs - i think it just makes sense. You are allowed one additional sub.

Back