• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

(OT) Ac Milan Walk Off Field Vs Pro Patria (Racist chants) (Kevin Prince Boateng)

While homophobic abuse is just as bad, players can keep such information private if they wish (to an extent), skin colour is obvious and unavoidable - we can't wait for cultures of racism to change, but cultures of homophobia are going to have a less tangible impact on gay players. I think attempting to fix the root social problems is the right way forward in both cases, but racism is an obvious and inescapable problem and the time it takes for attitudes to change is too long to wait - the problem is immediate and massive.

would Judas be entitled to walk off due to the abuse he got or is it just racism? Would Ade and his song be enough?

I am not trying to be awkward just want an opinion on this? Mine is it is a slippery slope and open to abuse ( teams walking off when losing) and i feel only the ref should stop the game.

Also feel a little uneasy with the outrage when it was only a few decades ago it was happening in english ground, only with social opinion chnaging and police action did it change.

Things are said in the heat of the moment, I agree, but there is no need to resort to racism. I've called players ever name under the sun when I've been up against them, but have never resorted to racial language as it's not in my nature. That's why the whole Suarez and Terry affairs are so indicative - why do you need to make a reference to someone's skin colour on the pitch?

With regards to the walking off, it's the best thing to do in this situation. Had they not walked off then we would not be talking about it now, most likely.

I agree completely, I was just trying to understand Blatter's reasoning in that case, but I think while using the 'heat of the moment' argument to defend the 'handshake' comment - which is surely the only way Blatter could have been reasoning - is an understandable reaction from a man trying to keep up a clean image of FIFA and football, there is no way Blatter could use a similar argument in this case. Obviously though, rather than coming out and admitting that there is an issue he will not say anything at all and everything will continue as is...

would Judas be entitled to walk off due to the abuse he got or is it just racism? Would Ade and his song be enough?

I am not trying to be awkward just want an opinion on this? Mine is it is a slippery slope and open to abuse ( teams walking off when losing) and i feel only the ref should stop the game.

Also feel a little uneasy with the outrage when it was only a few decades ago it was happening in english ground, only with social opinion chnaging and police action did it change.

I agree, this would be a better solution. This is where Blatter/FIFA need to step in and give that sort of power, along with guidelines to referees.

However, in a game with no official safeguards against racism, KPB walking off is a good way to publicise the issue and start to force change. Peaceful protest! (Well, aside from booting the ball into the crowd lol)

Players' careers only last 10 or 15 years, we can't be waiting that long for social opinion to just change by itself. And if we do, I'm sure certain countries will lag behind and will still be chanting racist songs in 40 years' time. If the game's governing body explicitly acknowledges racism as unaccaptable and starts outlining punishments this progress might be given a kick-start in all the countries under FIFA's remit.

Best thing an ex Spurs player's done since Nayim tried his luck from the Parc de Princes half way line.

what happens now? in a competitvie match will they replay?

If it is one person will they be allowed to walk off or does it have to be more? How many does it have to be in order for the walk out to be correct?

Will it be ok if a player walks off due to homophobic abuse or is it just racism?

What if a player thinks its racist and it isnt - does happen look at clatenburg.

there is a problem that needs to be solved but I do not think walking off is the answer - better policing and social awareness in wider society seems to be a step in the right direction

I have sympathy with this view. Having football players decide what is racist in the heat of the moment is a recipe for chaos. It's also subject to abuse. I'm sure there are many unreported incidents at most games and it would be easy to take offence while losing or even make something up (footballers have been known to cheat). It would have to be the referee making the decision if its to become the response to racist abuse.

However, this match was a friendly, so its probably good that Milan did it to raise the issue. I assume this has nothing to do with FIFA/UEFA and it will be up to the Italian FA to take action. Which means we can expect strong action ...

Things are said in the heat of the moment, I agree, but there is no need to resort to racism. I've called players ever name under the sun when I've been up against them, but have never resorted to racial language as it's not in my nature. That's why the whole Suarez and Terry affairs are so indicative - why do you need to make a reference to someone's skin colour on the pitch?

Because someone knows it will get to someone. The intent is to make them angry and put them off their game. To take a hypothetical example, a player ... let's call him John ... knows another player ... let's call him Anton ... will be upset and angry if called a "fcuking black cvnt". John is angry himself because someone has said something to upset him ...say a claim about him shagging a teammates missus ... and he wants to make Anton angry. Using a racial term achieves that goal regardless of whether the player is racist or not, although our hypothetical John might be.

Because someone knows it will get to someone. The intent is to make them angry and put them off their game. To take a hypothetical example, a player ... let's call him John ... knows another player ... let's call him Anton ... will be upset and angry if called a "fcuking black cvnt". John is angry himself because someone has said something to upset him ...say a claim about him shagging a teammates missus ... and he wants to make Anton angry. Using a racial term achieves that goal regardless of whether the player is racist or not, although our hypothetical John might be.

That is assuming that this hypothetical John person made a conscious decision weighing different insults up against each other to find the insult that would insult Anton the most.

I think it's a lot more likely that it was just anger, lizard brain doing what lizard brain does, adrenaline and testosterone flowing, sudden outburst kinda thing.

That is assuming that this hypothetical John person made a conscious decision weighing different insults up against each other to find the insult that would insult Anton the most.

I think it's a lot more likely that it was just anger, lizard brain doing what lizard brain does, adrenaline and testosterone flowing, sudden outburst kinda thing.

I don't think that is incompatible with my argument. We have a fairly "instinctive" idea of what can upset people. Clearly this hypothetical member of a well-known chav family didn't carefully deliberate before determining a perfectly calibrated insult, but it doesn't take much thinking to realise that adding the racial element to the insult will make it more hurtful.

Let's face it we've all insulted friends and family at times. Do we mean everything we say every time?

Anyway, this discussion is getting distasteful. I'm getting dangerously close to defending a real person who is of less than upstanding character. Fortunately we've managed to keep it hypothetical so far.

KPB did the right thing walking off as racism has to be kicked out of the game both on and off the pitch, my only concern is what effect to the result it would have were it to happen in a Serie A/Bundesliga/EPL game. Game replayed? Score stands as is? Game awarded to team abused?

You could see it being used as a tactic by some teams to get a result go their way.

KPB did the right thing walking off as racism has to be kicked out of the game both on and off the pitch, my only concern is what effect to the result it would have were it to happen in a Serie A/Bundesliga/EPL game. Game replayed? Score stands as is? Game awarded to team abused?

You could see it being used as a tactic by some teams to get a result go their way.

And you don't have to look far to find the team most likely to use this tactic either.

*cough* Chelski *cough*

Would assume that the game was forfeited by the team exiting the field of play, regardless of the reasons behind it.

Just seen KPB's (phone) interview on SSN and I thought he spoke very eloquently about the situation and the club, political, colleague and fan support he's had. He's not only done the right thing but he's done it with some class. I wish we still had him because he's developed into a great player as well.

Once a prick always a prick. He thought he was too good for us back in 2007 ffs lol. Agree something needs doing but you can't just walk off the pitch! Those tacos on the roof would've been tinkling themselves!

hmmmm, have to say...although cannot be prove, hypothetical john probably reached for that out of instinct but also an instinct built and forged around past experiences and emotions

dont think its lizard brain (as dexter put it) i think subconsciously or consciously it was calculated.

if someone has called you that you can see it in their face every time....they mean the mock , hurt or are angry enough that thier dams just keep coming down till something like that that they know gets the job dont or fulfils to express their emotions

Unbelievable!? Blatter is at it again

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has urged footballers not to leave the pitch if they are subjected to racial abuse.

GettyImages
Kevin-Prince Boateng displays an anti-racism message on his AC Milan shirt
• Blog: Boateng makes a stand

On Thursday AC Milan players walked off after Kevin-Prince Boateng was subjected to racist abuse from fans of fellow Italian side Pro Patria during a friendly match.

The actions of Boateng and his team-mates put the spotlight firmly on the problem of racism in football and on Sunday during their Serie A win against Siena the Milan players wore anti-racism slogans on the back of their shirts in a further gesture of solidarity against the issue.

But Blatter has questioned their actions and claimed such tactics are not the right way of tackling the problem.

"Walk off? No. I don't think that is the solution," Blatter is quoted as saying in the National newspaper in United Arab Emirates. "I don't think you can run away, because then the team should have to forfeit the match. This issue is a very touchy subject, but I repeat there is zero tolerance of racism in the stadium, we have to go against that."

Milan responded by releasing a statement, saying: "AC Milan reaffirm its dissent towards all forms of racism, however they are manifested. We invite the national and international sporting authorities to adopt and apply every rule against racism."

Blatter's controversial stance has attracted criticism from Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri who defended his players and criticised Italian fans for their part.

"We wanted to give a signal," he said. "Players can't suspend a match but others can. There need to be rules put in place. We made a signal for the future. There needs to be more civility in Italian stadiums."

Reading striker Jason Roberts, who opted not to wear a Kick It Out t-shirt earlier in the season, also voiced his disapproval via his personal Twitter account.

He said: "This is CLASSIC..Blatter has outdone himself here...So..if you are being racially abused in a game, and have reported it to the Ref 3 times, just stand there and take it, that way YOU win..

"And don't worry because Blatter and those like him..are going to hit the Clubs/FA/with a meaningless fine, or write a plan, that way YOU win.

"No Thanks Sepp...tried that..65k fine for repeat offenders like Serbia etc..how about..WALK OFF THE PITCH..the only language you understand!"

FA general secretary Alex Horne was another who spoke out in defence of Boateng's actions, but stressed that the referee must do more to combat racism if and when it occurs.

Horne told BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme: "If players are receiving sustained abuse on the pitch they should be reporting it to the referee. The players, through the captain, should be reporting it to the referee. The referee should be taking the players off the pitch and warning the crowds that they should desist with their abuse, and ultimately there's a sanction there if the fans don't listen to that.

"If the players feel the referee isn't dealing with it then I can understand why they walk off the pitch. Why should you have to tolerate that in this day and age?"

Back