• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham vs Arsenal ***

22 years of them finishing above us and they even invented a day for it yet we're small time for celebrating finishing above them hahahaah

We should also say...how many years did they finish ahead of us by one or two points? When was the last time they got anything like 10/15 points ahead of us at the end of the season? The gulf, the 'balance of power' hasn't really been that great for a long time. We're more than entitled to celebrate the time that we actually break the hoodoo. And unlike them, we aren't scraping ahead, we're leaving them in the dust.

Saw that, it was exactly the point I was making though. I don't agree that we've often changed from 3-4-3 to 4-2-3-1 mid-half before. We've altered at half time, and maybe have made subtle tweaks, and the 4-2-3-1 has always had Dier dropping in to the middle of the 3 when he's played in midfield, but what I saw was different. It was subtle, but we very obviously shifted Toby along, put Dier on the right side, and had Eriksen dropping in. It lasted for about 5 minutes when I first mentioned it, at the point when Redknapp was discussing our formation as 4 at the back.

We don't disagree on anything here really - I've been hoping for a while that we get to a point of fluidity that means we can switch formation before the opposition can figure us out. A lot of our bad CL performances this year, and our run of draws including away at Bournemouth, were when our 4-2-3-1 had become way too predictable and easy to figure out. The patterns of play were obvious and easy to shut down. Now, we're at a point where we can ostensibly start with a 4-2-3-1 against a 3-4-3 (which should be tougher for us as the 3-4-3 has a space advantage over the 4-2-3-1) but because of our confidence in all areas we can still make it work.

The only thing that would give me more confidence is getting Wanyama trained as a capable right sided centre back in the 3. Otherwise we are too reliant on Dier staying fit in order to have the flexibility which is a key advantage.

We definitely change during halves and have for some time. Our formation is very fluid and changes during passages of play.

I like lampard, but that is not an impartial panel, it's quite clearly biased against Spurs when they should be loading the deck in our favour given the circumstances and what they have done in similar circumstances with EVERY SINGLE OTHER CLUB that's moved home.
Why are we so bothered by this? Do the pundits actually get on the pitch and tackle our players or affect our game? Let them say what they want. Even better when the results prove them wrong.

We should also say...how many years did they finish ahead of us by one or two points? When was the last time they got anything like 10/15 points ahead of us at the end of the season? The gulf, the 'balance of power' hasn't really been that great for a long time. We're more than entitled to celebrate the time that we actually break the hoodoo. And unlike them, we aren't scraping ahead, we're leaving them in the dust.

This is what frustrates me, this has been coming since BMJ time, the following shows position by year (with current season up to last game). Basically we have been threatening their position for 12 years, and they have stagnated.

upload_2017-5-2_9-56-2.png

Why are we so bothered by this? Do the pundits actually get on the pitch and tackle our players or affect our game? Let them say what they want. Even better when the results prove them wrong.

I like Spurs to be fairly represented and it's easy to be not bothered about it when we win. It's great we won and the commentators were audibly upset and the panel visibly distraught (along with Wright on MOTD), but we could have lost that game and there would have been an absolute Arsenal toss fest and Spurs slating (as has happened many many times before). There are many neutrals watching and many weak minded Spurs fans and impressionable goons who take what pundits say as gospel, whether it's complete BS or not. The narrative is then set for everyone and parroted by these people tuning in. Why would you not want a Spurs representation on there to redress the balance?

That's not even factoring in that it was the penultimate game at the Lane and the last ever NLD at Spurs home. Maybe it's just me but for every live game I'd be looking to have 1 pundit associated with each team, let alone in a derby and the clear weighted importance of the game is for Spurs. I just like punditry and commentary to be fair and impartial, but like I say, maybe it's just me (and one or two others)?

I like Spurs to be fairly represented and it's easy to be not bothered about it when we win. It's great we won and the commentators were audibly upset and the panel visibly distraught (along with Wright on MOTD), but we could have lost that game and there would have been an absolute Arsenal toss fest and Spurs slating (as has happened
many many times before). There are many neutrals watching and many weak minded Spurs fans and impressionable goons who take what pundits say as gospel, whether it's complete BS or not. The narrative is then set for everyone and parroted by these people tuning in. Why would you not want a Spurs representation on there to redress the balance?

That's not even factoring in that it was the penultimate game at the Lane and the last ever NLD at Spurs home. Maybe it's just me but for every live game I'd be looking to have 1 pundit associated with each team, let alone in a derby and the clear weighted importance of the game is for Spurs. I just like punditry and commentary to be fair and impartial, but like I say, maybe it's just me (and one or two others)?

This .. sometimes I'm watching a game and I wonder if the commentators are looking at a different game because they so obviously walk in with their own agenda.

Go read or hear some of the pundit statements post the FA Cup game, a day later it was suddenly Cheat$ki has outplayed us, wtf?

Spot on. This isn't like it SHOULD have been the lasagna season, scraping in. We've cruised past them and that was a super comfy 2-0. Plus when you look at the clubs we are clearly on the rise and they are steeply in the decline. And how sweet it is...

We definitely change during halves and have for some time. Our formation is very fluid and changes during passages of play.

Ehhhhhhhh this is something I'm going to have to ask for proof on. I've watched pretty much all of our games and don't really see it. To be clear, I'm talking about a genuine formation change for multiple cycles of play, not Dier moving back to receive the ball and split the centre backs or Rose being the furthest forward because we've just released him.

This .. sometimes I'm watching a game and I wonder if the commentators are looking at a different game because they so obviously walk in with their own agenda.

Go read or hear some of the pundit statements post the FA Cup game, a day later it was suddenly Cheat$ki has outplayed us, wtf?

On Sunday I switched as soon as I heard Alan Smith's voice over the the world feed commentary of Jon Champion and Andy Townsend. I assume Smith went crazy about the penalty as various media kept raising it after. Townsend said it was as clear a penalty as you'd see all year. I've heard no one bring up the Sanchez hand ball of course.

Arsenal supporting colleague paid up £20 for losing bet today. I'd bet that we would finish higher than them this season. Fair play to him for paying out.

I honestly though don't give a crap about finishing above them. I mean it's good but, it's a part of a good season in which we've had a lot more to enjoy than just finishing above them. I'm happier that we are second and playing as well as I've seen us play. Finishing above Arsenal is just a consequence of that, especially with the season that they are enduring.

I love Arsenal failing, but my true enjoyment comes out of our overall 'success', and I use hyphens as we haven't won any competition BUT we are succeeding with the style of our play and with more points than ever before.

I'm with you on this i personally do not give a crap what some ex footballer has to say about us, if folks do not like it well they can always turn the sound down, better still turn the brick off.

Arsenal supporting colleague paid up £20 for losing bet today. I'd bet that we would finish higher than them this season. Fair play to him for paying out.

I honestly though don't give a crap about finishing above them. I mean it's good but, it's a part of a good season in which we've had a lot more to enjoy than just finishing above them. I'm happier that we are second and playing as well as I've seen us play. Finishing above Arsenal is just a consequence of that, especially with the season that they are enduring.

I love Arsenal failing, but my true enjoyment comes out of our overall 'success', and I use hyphens as we haven't won any competition BUT we are succeeding with the style of our play and with more points than ever before.
I know a gooner who paid out £200 weeks ago on the same bet. I think he got fed up of the yid saying he can cash out for £199!

Thank you Spurs for giving me a great feel-good factor all weekend. I couldn't be more proud of you. Simply brilliant performance. Poch got the big calls right and the players delivered. We could have had a hatful but for some wasteful finishing and some unbelievable saves by Cech. Well done everyone.
This. If ARSEnal still had Flappyhandski or Scneezy in goal, we would've easily racked up 5+ goals during the 2nd half alone!

Cech made 9 saves. No Arsenal goalkeeper has made more in a PL game since 2003.

C-rcSWhWsAAEJXj.jpg

Ehhhhhhhh this is something I'm going to have to ask for proof on. I've watched pretty much all of our games and don't really see it. To be clear, I'm talking about a genuine formation change for multiple cycles of play, not Dier moving back to receive the ball and split the centre backs or Rose being the furthest forward because we've just released him.

I view our season as starting with our first 4-2-3-1, having that get found out a little bit. Try some new things with the 4-1-4-1 which was decent, and we tried a diamond against West Ham at home. Once we hit upon the 3-4-3 against Hull at home, we ran that into the ground and that's powered our surge.

We switched from 3-4-3 to 4-2-3-1 away to Emirates Marketing Project because we were getting battered. And at about Feb time we started a few games back with a 4-2-3-1, largely when JV was out.

But basically, switching as we did on Sunday requires Dier to have been starting in midfield, or on the right of the back three. He hasn't played much in midfield due to the form of Wanyama so any of the real fluidity we saw on Sunday hasn't really been there. If we've started in 3-4-3, we tend to keep it for the game - Emirates Marketing Project away aside.

This is what frustrates me, this has been coming since BMJ time, the following shows position by year (with current season up to last game). Basically we have been threatening their position for 12 years, and they have stagnated.

View attachment 3261

would be interested to see this graph with points instead of position, if one exists

Gooner asked me today when the open top parade will be. I said we didn't bother with it this time around as everyone beats arsenal these days ...

Oddly enough, I'm not even celebrating us finishing above them. It's been way too easy. And it's small time mentality. I'm more gutted by the Chelski result and the fact the title is much more difficult to win now, than I'm happy we finished above this sorry lot. Look ahead, never behind!

I like Spurs to be fairly represented and it's easy to be not bothered about it when we win. It's great we won and the commentators were audibly upset and the panel visibly distraught (along with Wright on MOTD), but we could have lost that game and there would have been an absolute Arsenal toss fest and Spurs slating (as has happened many many times before). There are many neutrals watching and many weak minded Spurs fans and impressionable goons who take what pundits say as gospel, whether it's complete BS or not. The narrative is then set for everyone and parroted by these people tuning in. Why would you not want a Spurs representation on there to redress the balance?

I totally understand where you're coming from, but I would much rather we're flying on the pitch and not getting credit, than the other way around. Even after our latest win the talk is about "what does Liverpool have to do," "is Wenger staying," "how can you blame United for their position when they've had so many injuries," etc etc, and hardly a mention of "look at this amazing Spurs team pushing Chelsea till the end, in spite of their injuries, Europe, and lower wages than anyone in the top 6."

You know what, that's fine. I couldn't give a rat's ass.

Back