• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham v Wolves

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That second half was as bad as I have seen from us in a while.
Incredibly frustrating.
Ball after ball given away cheaply.
Not sure whether it was weariness or just an off day for everyone but it did not make good watching.

Should we have had one or two penalties? I was at the other end so hard to see.

I think there is dropping the pace and keeping the ball in an intelligent way to take the sting out of the game...and then there is doing what we did. We were brick, I don’t think there was any design behind it, I just think the lads were spent and it was a bad day at the office.

I wasn't saying that we were executing it well

Can you call it over performance when we’ve been doing it for years?

Agree. I never understand why people underrate us so much compared to the other teams. It's fair to say that Liverpool and City are better than us, but there ain't 3 teams better than ours and there ain't 3 squads better either. Finishing top 4 wouldn't be excellent, it would be par. I know the argument about what we spend in wages etc. but in terms of the players Poch has, he has a top 4 squad. And I'm sure he thinks exactly the same.

That second half was as bad as I have seen from us in a while.
Incredibly frustrating.
Ball after ball given away cheaply.
Not sure whether it was weariness or just an off day for everyone but it did not make good watching.

Should we have had one or two penalties? I was at the other end so hard to see.

I listened to the last 30 in the radio. It sounded like the game changed when Mourinho got his foot hold in. They made their changes in the middle of the park and we didn’t.

Can you call it over performance when we’ve been doing it for years?

Doing what? Bottling it? :p just kidding. Well, knowing what we know about how much financial muscle means in football today, then yes, I think you can say we're over performing. Leagues are generally won by the richest teams spending the most cash, giving them the most options and the best players.

Not going to use that as an excuse for today, but you know, I reckon if we had the budgets of City or Liverpool or united, there's no doubt we'd be even more competitive.

Agree. I never understand why people underrate us so much compared to the other teams. It's fair to say that Liverpool and City are better than us, but there ain't 3 teams better than ours and there ain't 3 squads better either. Finishing top 4 wouldn't be excellent, it would be par. I know the argument about what we spend in wages etc. but in terms of the players Poch has, he has a top 4 squad. And I'm sure he thinks exactly the same.

I hear squad depth is the issue but when we put 11 goals past twice sides conveniently it isn’t. We’re missing half a first team due to injuries and bizarrely have 3 CMs out which from why I’ve heard and seen on the brief highlights is where we suffered

I listened to the last 30 in the radio. It sounded like the game changed when Mourinho got his foot hold in. They made their changes in the middle of the park and we didn’t.
Exactly that . They changed it we were second best after that.
Was not great in first half but they sat in. Once they moved the ball in second half we were in trouble. Poor performance today.

I think it’s the fact that we’ve achieved all that in face of being up against it financially.

Chelsea, Man U and arsenal can and do blow us out of the water financially, but we’re better than them. Heck, we’ve been better than Liverpool for something like 8 out of 10 seasons.

It’s all the more astonishing when historically there’s been such a big correlation between expenditure (especially on wages iirc) and success.

Said he scored an amazing goal.

That made him happy although he doesn’t really understand football yet. I’ve bought him a little goal for the garden but he keeps putting it on his head and shouting ‘hat’.

Work to be done.
Sounds like a chip off the old block.

Yep, but that “value” is skewed because we do such a good job with recruitment and the academy.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

If we’re playing academy graduates and £5m signings surely and still top 3 then surely we’re out-performing those below us who spend £400m on their squad.

I think it’s the fact that we’ve achieved all that in face of being up against it financially.

Chelsea, Man U and arsenal can and do blow us out of the water financially, but we’re better than them. Heck, we’ve been better than Liverpool for something like 8 out of 10 seasons.

It’s all the more astonishing when historically there’s been such a big correlation between expenditure (especially on wages iirc) and success.

I agree in a financial sense, we are and have been over-achieving. But I'm just going on the players we have and the players the other clubs have. In my honest opinion, failing to get top 4 with a team that contains Kane, Eriksen, Son, Dele, Toby, Vertoghen...with squad options like Sanchez, Sissoko, Lamela, Moura...failing to get top 4 with this bunch would be under-performing. But I don't think we will fail, because I think we are one of the 3 best teams in the country.

I agree in a financial sense, we are and have been over-achieving. But I'm just going on the players we have and the players the other clubs have. In my honest opinion, failing to get top 4 with a team that contains Kane, Eriksen, Son, Dele, Toby, Vertoghen...with squad options like Sanchez, Sissoko, Lamela, Moura...failing to get top 4 with this bunch would be under-performing. But I don't think we will fail, because I think we are one of the 3 best teams in the country.

Especially watching Arsenal and United so far this season

Exactly that . They changed it we were second best after that.
Was not great in first half but they sat in. Once they moved the ball in second half we were in trouble. Poor performance today.

Agree. It shouldn’t have been too hard to work out what they were likely to do - they could only sit in at 1-0 down for so long.
At one point it felt like we were facing wave after wave after wave of attack and couldn’t deal with it. Not helped of course by sloppy passing gifting them the ball in the first place.
Getting that second goal in the first half was so critical and would have changed the dynamic.

I’m not sure whether I feel angry or deflated about it all Deflated now I think.

And as for football tourists! I’ll comment on that one later. There’s definitely a downside to (relative) success.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

If we’re playing academy graduates and £5m signings surely and still top 3 then surely we’re out-performing those below us who spend £400m on their squad.

One of those academy graduates is the best forward in the world, had we paid current market prices for Kane, Alli, Eriksen and Lamela alone we’d have the most expensive squad in the history of the game. Kane and Alli are worth 400m on their own.

Agree. It shouldn’t have been too hard to work out what they were likely to do - they could only sit in at 1-0 down for so long.
At one point it felt like we were facing wave after wave after wave of attack and couldn’t deal with it. Not helped of course by sloppy passing gifting them the ball in the first place.
Getting that second goal in the first half was so critical and would have changed the dynamic.

I’m not sure whether I feel angry or deflated about it all Deflated now I think.

And as for football tourists! I’ll comment on that one later. There’s definitely a downside to (relative) success.

Lots of Tourists in block I sat in today. Hate Wembley can’t wait to go home.

I’m deflated not angry. We looked tired but 2nd half as bad as I’ve seen for a long time. We lacked any tempo the whole game.

Back