• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT Tottenham v Dinamo Zagreb***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
While I definitely feel Mou’s race is run, I still think not enough attention is being paid to the context in which he was hired i.e. Covid was non-figuratively not a ‘thing’, at least in a football context.

I can absolutely see why Levy rolled the dice, thinking he could back him with all the riches the stadium would bring, but less than four months later, that plan is fudged.

Like @thfcsteff, I have a lot of sympathy for him, as for me, the situation we’re currently in is patently not all his fault - it’s a combination of many things.

The time to mourn for our club is not now, after another pathetic defeat, but it was when Poch was ushered out stage left 18 months ago. That was when our great adventure was definitively over.
Agree with all of this but it was the right call for Poch too. The guy was broken mentally and it’s why I think he believes he has unfinished business here
But I’ll also say there are a LOT of coaches out there who can make quick impacts and create a system that could improve things. potter did it in one summer Brighton. Parker’s done it this season during the season. Tufnell has come in and quickly built a foundation. It can happen

What did Poch crash and Burn? Consistent top 4 and a Champions League Final. It’s not like we have had any of that before or since! Would fancy a bit of that crashing and burning now I tell you. If Jose has failed so spectacularly it should help you to reflect on how well actually Poch did and perhaps give him a little more respect.

I guess you missed the last 14 months he was here? a broken team that has never recovered? and the same issue, whenever it truly mattered (3rd in 2 horse race), QF, SF, Final, whenever just one result would truly matter .. we brick the bed.

While I definitely feel Mou’s race is run, I still think not enough attention is being paid to the context in which he was hired i.e. Covid was non-figuratively not a ‘thing’, at least in a football context.

I can absolutely see why Levy rolled the dice, thinking he could back him with all the riches the stadium would bring, but less than four months later, that plan is fudged.

Like @thfcsteff, I have a lot of sympathy for him, as for me, the situation we’re currently in is patently not all his fault - it’s a combination of many things.

The time to mourn for our club is not now, after another pathetic defeat, but it was when Poch was ushered out stage left 18 months ago. That was when our great adventure was definitively over.

I don't follow spurs because I think we're going to win trophies, and certainly not the PL or CL. At least not since I was about 12.
And I never thought I'd see the day we'd challenge for them.
For me it was about just belonging to something.
But for two years poch had me believing that might change.
It was magical while it lasted but its gone now. My love for the club hasn't suffered, but I doubt I'll ever see those days again and that makes me sad.
We had our chance and blew it.

I don't follow spurs because I think we're going to win trophies, and certainly not the PL or CL. At least not since I was about 12.
It was magical while it lasted but its gone now. My love for the club hasn't suffered, but I doubt I'll ever see those days again and that makes me sad.

Just about sums it up, sadly.

No mate, that's where you are wrong, I've heard all of that before

- We blew with Jol, Harry, AVB, Poch
- We would never have another player like Berbatov, Modric, Carrick, etc.
- That was our last cup QF/SF/Final
- When we missed Europa first, then later CL

We are a well run and money making club, we will have another shot ..

I think the game has changed too, winning really is everything now.

14 months fudging hell gets longer and longer every time someone rewritres history. We were a game away from going top in January and in the biggest game in club football in June - would love to see what these people would be putting up with on the pitch if that's where Jose had us right now.

Results above performances is ok for Mourinho but not Pochettino it seems

As @Raziel said, we have had chances and blown those chances SO many times. It's part of the frustration aspect of loving this club. It's happened so many times, in just about every decade. We have been poised to be a 'proper' big club that wins titles and trophies - the biggest ones - regularly. And we pretty much always fall short. We don't know where or how or whom, but for certain, one day we will all have hope again. And we al know what hope does...

I guess you missed the last 14 months he was here? a broken team that has never recovered? and the same issue, whenever it truly mattered (3rd in 2 horse race), QF, SF, Final, whenever just one result would truly matter .. we brick the bed.
3rd in a 2 horse race that we never ever were top in... I mean that comment is one I’ve never understood. That season several teams were top and blew it but not us
I agree about the cup semis and some odd choices Poch made
The CL final... i would have kept Kane in the bench but it’s easy in hindsight. Poch did what he thought was right and that game died with an appalling referee call.
But with Poch the journey was part of the experience
With Jose the journey is the worst part of the destination looks further away and it’s bumpy and painful

No mate, that's where you are wrong, I've heard all of that before

- We blew with Jol, Harry, AVB, Poch
- We would never have another player like Berbatov, Modric, Carrick, etc.
- That was our last cup QF/SF/Final
- When we missed Europa first, then later CL

We are a well run and money making club, we will have another shot ..

Don"t, it's the hope that kills you.
I hope you are right, but I just think it's ingrained in us to come short.
Too many years of getting our best players poached, too many years of sexiness, too many lads, it Tottenham.
We let that become the narrative of the club.

I agreed with Levy hiring Mourinho. Poch was clearly done. His team, which soared and sparkled, but ultimately failed was done. I thought with Mourinho' s stellar track record, he could turn it round. However, we clearly don't have the players to succeed at the highest level. They simply don't have the mentality to take their skill to the next level. They aren't winners. The last two games put that simple fact sharply into focus.

Kane and Son and probably half the team will be gone next season. A massive rebuild is required. I don't think Mourinkpho is the man for that. What we need most are new owners with really deep pockets and a Directir of football who can spot talent. We don't have either of these planks in place at present. ENIC's race is run I feel.

I agreed with Levy hiring Mourinho. Poch was clearly done. His team, which soared and sparkled, but ultimately failed was done. I thought with Mourinho' s stellar track record, he could turn it round. However, we clearly don't have the players to succeed at the highest level. They simply don't have the meteorology to take their skill to the next level. They aren't winners. The last two games put that simple fact sharply into focus.

Kane and Son and probably half the team will be gone next season. A massive rebuild is required. I don't think Mourinkpho is the man for that. What we need most are new owners with really deep pockets and a Directir of football who can spot talent. We don't have either of these planks in place at present. ENIC's race is run I feel.

A little laugh for you mate, Poch is gone, Jose will go, whoever is next will come and go, ENIC/Levy is not going anywhere and there is absolutely fudge all anyone can do about it.

A little laugh for you mate, Poch is gone, Jose will go, whoever is next will come and go, ENIC/Levy is not going anywhere and there is absolutely fudge all anyone can do about it.

Money talks. Lewis and Levy are getting older. Levy has had his shot at employing a " winner". Our finances are burdensome. Without European football and on field success, we will enter a downward spiral. Our best players will leave. No stadium sponsorship and no immediate prospect of revenue from the stadium. Who knows when things will normalise? ENIC may just consider a decent offer imo.

Money talks. Lewis and Levy are getting older. Levy has had his shot at employing a " winner". Our finances are burdensome. Without European football and on field success, we will enter a downward spiral. Our best players will leave. No stadium sponsorship and no immediate prospect of revenue from the stadium. Who knows when things will normalise? ENIC may just consider a decent offer imo.

Mate

- Levy is 59, he's actually only about 3 years older than Jose and younger than a few managers in the league
- Joe's daughter and Levy's son both seem quite vested in the club
- The debt is extremely low interest, long term debt that is quite easily manageable (it doesn't require European football).
- The stadium sponsorship is actually a real indicator of how good our finances are, we absolutely could have settled for a sponsor and gotten cash if we needed it, the fact that we are waiting for the "right" either price or tie in says a lot about our confidence.
- A decent offer would be north of £2B, too many clubs could be bought for 10% of that, even less if the current environment continues (Spurs will outlast all but about 2-3 clubs)

We are a private company, huge valuation, manageable debt and an asset that has consistently grown for two decades, one bad year will not bother Lewis/Levy.

You mean when the chairman got the manager zero squad additions and actually sold a first team player mid season, leaving our small squad out on our feet?

3rd.... Finishing third is a mere dream these days!

You mean when the chairman got the manager zero squad additions and actually sold a first team player mid season, leaving our small squad out on our feet?

3rd.... Finishing third is a mere dream these days!

- More like the manager refused players
- Since the 14 months seems controversial, I'll give some laughs. Statistically across almost every measure (GF/GA/Player contributions/shots/away wins) Poch's team was on a decline for at least two seasons (another poster did the homework months before the CL final showing it, and we all gave him brick), half the team had their best records from long before the end.

We had moments and we should remember that but the same guy who everyone seems to support more than Spurs started this spiral, which removes none of the blame from the current manager.

- More like the manager refused players
- Since the 14 months seems controversial, I'll give some laughs. Statistically across almost every measure (GF/GA/Player contributions/shots/away wins) Poch's team was on a decline for at least two seasons (another poster did the homework months before the CL final showing it, and we all gave him brick), half the team had their best records from long before the end.

We had moments and we should remember that but the same guy who everyone seems to support more than Spurs started this spiral, which removes none of the blame from the current manager.
Yes of course he refused more N’jie types as terrible make-dos when you’re asking for Mane. The chairman couldn’t even get him £25m Grealish (I dread to think who was being offered instead).

The spiral was started by getting woeful backing from above. You are also very quick to forget that it was Pochettino who led us to that very high point. A point that Mourinho is taking us even further away from....

Do you want the discussion mate? Because IF you want the discussion, I am happy to get back into it in the appropriate thread.

Yes of course he refused more N’jie types as terrible make-dos when you’re asking for Mane. The chairman couldn’t even get him £25m Grealish (I dread to think who was being offered instead).

The spiral was started by getting woeful backing from above. You are also very quick to forget that it was Pochettino who led us to that very high point. A point that Mourinho is taking us even further away from....

He picked the french wingers mate, that was why he was gun shy later on ..

The club has been on the up long before Poch, so lets stop with this Spurs was fudging Burnley narrative and Poch led us from the depth of the PL to CL, fudging Harry Redknapp got us 4th twice in 3 years just before him.

@ milo - Orsic, Dinamo, Lucas in that order.;

No reflection on Lucas, he's the only one who seemed to trying, when all about were lethargic, spitting dummies out or arguing amongst themselves/pointing fingers.

Back