• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Smoggies in FA Cup

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know what the normal routine is during the midweek training sessions. but I strongly suggest the focus needs to be passing

Not enough one and two touch passing ... Jose would do well to show some of our players, the Liverpool youth team performance v Everton...

When in possession, pass the ball quickly and then make yourself available by moving into space ..It really is that simple...

Winks, Dele, Son & Moura guilty of not playing enough, that quick obvious pass, rather looking to make something happen after taking three, four and more touches of the ball...

When they came on, Lamela and Lo Celso showed them how to play the game..

And it's Lamela who's all to often accused by some, of holding on to the ball for far to long.o_O

Haven't read this thread so apologies if this point has already been made:

Worst possible result. A loss would have been significantly better.

To you maybe, to me it's the most important as it's the only tournament we stand a chance of winning. Glad we have a boss that will agree.

How easy Gazzaniga makes it for the opposition forward. Needs to come out properly to limit the forwards time.

He actually takes a couple of steps forward and then retreated ... He did similar for the Ings goal a few days back...

Far to pretty for a goalkeeper, we need an ugly brute of a man such as a, Schmeichel in goal..

To be fair - he's a centre back. This is the last point in his whole career you'd want him playing a left back. Should be using his nouse in the centre. Needs must though.

Agree with that...Has been over used this Christmas period - I think three and a half games in that demanding left back position + today..

I think he had a free role until the point where Jose realised he was doing nothing to help our attacks, so made a double sun and dropped Dele deeper to make space for the couple of players in attacking midfield positions who might create something.

Looked to me like he was asking Dele to play off Son and Lucas. Sonny was rusty to say the least and is not especially great as a main striker. Lucas - who does work best IMO uptop as a striker - is not a connective player. It looked to me like Dele was mistakenly thinking he could play his “game” off Lucas and Son. It doesn’t work. I would expect a manager like Mourinho to know this. I would expect a manager like Mourinho to know that if he wants Dele in that team, it must be deeper and LoCelso should be in.

I apologise if you thought it was a cheap shot. I just couldn't think of any reason why you would think we were playing a flat back four other than reading the formation from the TV screen as it is as plain as day that Vertonghen and Aurier are not playing the equivalent positions in the team.

Also are you suggesting that the main reason we didn't win today's game was Aurier?

I think we are on completely different lines.

I actually said Aurier played well today (albeit I took a dig that he had found his level!). This is the first match in forever where I did NOT criticize him.

Again (and I think anyone with even basic knowledge) could see he tried a 3-5-2 with Sess as the equivalent to Aurier which still doesn’t work because Sess is too tentative right now (he will get there).

My comments about the 4-2-3-1 were reflective of criticisms I had about him in other games where said-system has been in place. I was surprised you were asking again because I have gone on about it for months.

Again it appears you think I was discussing this game. It IS ironic as again, this might be the first match in ages where I actually praised him!!!!

Lo Celso and Lamela gave us some zip but we struggled to create a lot considering the 70% share of possession. Maybe the extra game will give us some much needed time to actually play some football.

concerned that Mourinho keeps seeming to get his team wrong to begin with hence the slow starts, and that Sanchez is no longer playing and Foyth seems to have been completely made a spacegoat.

No, I respect your opinion (honestly) and in some ways admire your ability to stick your head in the sand and ignore the obvious. Not too keen on the tacit implication that I'm a clown shoe. But i suspect I'l get over it. Somehow.

Just saw this and apologies for being rude. No need for it. Frustration. Again, sorry.

Head in the sand? Nah. I know what I’m talking about mate!

It's not the most important to him.

He won't dismiss the domestic cup competitions. He never has.

He also managed to win the Europa League (which many of our fans laughably see us as above) whilst still finishing 2nd in the League above Spurs that season. He would not have put such a strong side out today if he didn't want to win trophies and especially at Tottenham the need to start winning silverware.

This prioritising top 4 over everything else got us where exactly? we were meant to progress yes? to a side challenging for the very top honours. Well that hasn't happened, the team seem disinterested and probably fed up of seeing the other top 6 sides win silverware wheras we remain the laughing stock with our empty trophy cabinet. Some may point to the heroics in the CL last season but lets be honest, that was the luckiest run of all time. We wouldn't have even got out of the group had we not been facing a Barca B side who had already won the Group by the last game.

Unless we get new owners in or completely change our transfer/wage structure there will always be a ceiling and that is exactly whats happened. Kyle Walker saw he could be earning more and at a club that wins things and no doubt a few others have had their heads turned aswell.

We have been challenging for the top honors, we was in the CL final a few months ago in case you missed it. Not winning doesn't change that, you need to challenge consistently over many years to see a return tho - not challenge breifly then let the squad fall in to a state of disrepair and then wonder why we didn't win everything.

Last edited:
This prioritising top 4 over everything else got us where exactly? we were meant to progress yes? to a side challenging for the very top honours. Well that hasn't happened, the team seem disinterested and probably fed up of seeing the other top 6 sides win silverware wheras we remain the laughing stock with our empty trophy cabinet. Some may point to the heroics in the CL last season but lets be honest, that was the luckiest run of all time. We wouldn't have even got out of the group had we not been facing a Barca B side who had already won the Group by the last game.

Unless we get new owners in or completely change our transfer/wage structure there will always be a ceiling and that is exactly whats happened. Kyle Walker saw he could be earning more and at a club that wins things and no doubt a few others have had their heads turned aswell.

Did you enjoy the last 5 years? Did you feeL pride in what we were doing?

I think we are on completely different lines.

I actually said Aurier played well today (albeit I took a dig that he had found his level!). This is the first match in forever where I did NOT criticize him.

Again (and I think anyone with even basic knowledge) could see he tried a 3-5-2 with Sess as the equivalent to Aurier which still doesn’t work because Sess is too tentative right now (he will get there).

My comments about the 4-2-3-1 were reflective of criticisms I had about him in other games where said-system has been in place. I was surprised you were asking again because I have gone on about it for months.

Again it appears you think I was discussing this game. It IS ironic as again, this might be the first match in ages where I actually praised him!!!!
In what games under Jose have we played a flat back 4 with Aurier right back?

Last edited:
I think there's a pretty good chance that those positions will be his first signings (or RB), and most likely bringing in some players with some size and power given that at the moment, we look weak. Problem is that only in an optimistic scenario can you see those players arriving in January. It would be nice to see some of the deadwood and has-beens like JV leave in Jan.

We need to all brace ourselves for a depressing next 5 months and a mid-table finish in the league. If we didnt have 30 points already, I'd be genuinely worried about getting drawn into a relegation dogfight. My concern for the summer though is who the hell is going to look at spurs and think 'thats a club which I want to join....'

We will need a minimum of 70 points to qualify for the Champions League - that is another 40 points from where we are now, with 17 games remaining... 40 points out of a possible 51..

We play Liverpool next week and after that round of games will most likely be 9 points behind Chelsea, who have Burnley at home...

At home, where we're not looking great we have, Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project, Arsenal, West Ham, Manchester United, Leicester, Wolves...

Away where we're not looking great we have, Chelsea, Sheff Utd, C.Palace...

Out of the above ten games we can't afford to drop more than 11 points.....

He won't dismiss the domestic cup competitions. He never has.

He also managed to win the Europa League (which many of our fans laughably see us as above) whilst still finishing 2nd in the League above Spurs that season. He would not have put such a strong side out today if he didn't want to win trophies and especially at Tottenham the need to start winning silverware.
Fake news.... they finished 6th that year.

Most games
Issue is he doesn’t stay back and wanders down the other corner flag
United being a BIG one for example
thats because it isn’t a flat back 4. It’s very lopsided and basically a back three with Verts as a third center half. Look at the heatmaps and you can see that. It’s pretty clear that Jose is asking Aurier to play in that way, not that Aurier is just taking it upon himself to play as a wingback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back