• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT: Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool ***

I want us to go at them in the right way and at the right times. Agreed I think hurting them is about continuing the pragmatic approach, playing on the counter.

However I hope we're a bit more bold than we were in the second halves against Chelsea and Palace.

Edit: Based on Mourinho's presser, the players didn't do what he asked of them on both these occasions. So Jose will be hoping the players show a bit more zest tonight also.
The problem with those second (imo) halves was that we weren't able to launch useful counter attacks.

Quality on the ball in key moments, smart risk taking when appropriate. If we can get that right and defend well I think that's our best chance of success in this game.

I want us to really go at them tonight. I would rather fail trying than sit back endlessly a la Chelsea. We have the players to really hurt their makeshift defence. Let's play on the front foot from the outset. This tactic is likely to catch them out. I would love a fully fit Bale in the team instead of Bergwyn playing as an auxillary full back.

Let's attack . Let's end their unbeaten home record. To dare is to do. COYS
Liverpool press a bit less this season, but their pressing is still a clear strength. Winning the ball from that press is one of their best attacking strategies.

We're quite poor at playing through pressure.

I don't see how we "go at them" without trying to play through their press quite a lot. And I struggle to see how trying that doesn't end up with us losing the ball and getting countered on quite a lot. I think that plays perfectly into their hands.

Sit back, park the bus, deny them space, then let Kane, Ndombele etc work their magic on the break.

Dare I hope?

Would be happy with a draw, though they tend to feel like a loss if you take the lead then get pegged back.

If we can come away unbeaten from this and the Leicester game then I’d take that.

It'd be suicidal to go gung-ho. The thought of Mane and Salad charging at Toby and Dier with space in behind is something that'd make even Ossie play defensively.

Not suggesting gung-ho to that extent. Just releasing the handbrake a bit and letting our front players shine - NDombele/Lo Celso, Bale/Lucas, Son and Kane should demolish their makeshift defence without exposing us defensively.

Very unlikely, I agree. But it could just be a tactical master stroke. After all, no one expects the Spanish Inquisition........
I think most people agree that in hindsight the Spanish Inquisition wasn't a particularly good idea.

Takes more than being unexpected to be a tactical masterstroke. If Klopp could have asked Mourinho of a Christmas present delivered in the form of a tactical change I think I us abandoning the sit back and counter attack strategy would be pretty high up the list.

Every reason to hope. This is a game that can go any which way. No reason not to hope unless not getting what you hope for is too difficult for you.

I'm feeling pretty calm about it all, I must say.

We lose: ah well that was probably expected.
We draw: ah nice that's a decent point.
We win: ah fudge yeah that's amazing, where to from here?!

I'm feeling pretty calm about it all, I must say.

We lose: ah well that was probably expected.
We draw: ah nice that's a decent point.
We win: ah fudge yeah that's amazing, where to from here?!
A loss would see us three points behind Liverpool. I would have taken that at the start of this run of tougher games. Though it definitely puts more pressure on us before the Leicester game. It's not a disaster at all.

A win would be massive though.

Not suggesting gung-ho to that extent. Just releasing the handbrake a bit and letting our front players shine - NDombele/Lo Celso, Bale/Lucas, Son and Kane should demolish their makeshift defence without exposing us defensively.

We'll see what happens but I don't expect it and wouldn't necessarily advocate it. If we unshackle our front players then that gives Liverpool some space to play in to pull our midfield and defenders around which, with the attacking options they have, will inevitably lead to chances.

Ideally, I'd like to go there and play as you suggest but our defensive stability hasn't been built on the brilliance of Dier, Aurier and Toby individually. They're in a system where they can shine. That system involves everyone knowing and adhering to their defensive responsibilities first and foremost. We don't do that against a side like the Bindippers and we could be on the end of a hiding.

I think we might concede, then make a real game of it. Which would be preferable to conceding late on, and not being able to hit back. Expecting a big game from Kane and Son. Even they are marked out the game they should be able to create room for others to exploit.

These are the games we want Spurs to be involved with. Psyched

FWIW...

Liverpool are unbeaten in 65 Premier League home matches since a 2-1 defeat against Crystal Palace in April 2017 (W54, D11).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55241015

and this was our last win at Anfield

Classic. Van der Vaart with the deflected goal... Jay Spearing scuffs wide a few times... Kuyt tries to win a penalty which the ref doesn't buy, then Maxi Lopez tries to win a penalty which the ref doesn't buy, then Pienaar tries to win a penalty which the ref does buy, then Cudicini makes his first save in the 87th minute.

So for all the millions of opinions and tactics it all boils down to a deflection, backs to the wall, denied penalties, a penalty gained from nowt... I expect the same tonight.

Back