• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Internazionale

Are we becoming stale?

Even Poch now repeats the same old platitudes. He is in danger of becoming so repetitive that even the players stop listening. His total commitment to wingbacks relies on a solid platform behind them. On Saturday, he left our back two criminally exposed to Liverpool's front three - and in all honesty we should have had a pasting. I called for Sanchez to be introduced at half-time yet once again Poch was too slow (? too stubborn) to change things even though it was patently obvious that the plan wasn't working.

We certainly seem to have lost the verve and vibrancy that characterised Poch's early seasons in charge. Have our players got older and stopped chasing around, closing down like dervishes as they once did? Has once magnificent performances of fresh youth - Kane, Dele, Coco, Eriksen - been replaced by ageing mediocrity? I know they are still technically young but their youthful exuberance has seemingly worn off.

Our talisman, Kane, had been virtually unplayable until his ankle injury. He was a total goal machine. However, he isn't even getting shots off any more (7 against Pool last year with two goals compared to just two shots on Saturday). Indeed, virtually all his key stats are right down and the one that intrigued me the most was that he did 45 sprints against Liverpool last season while on Saturday he did only 7 - with a significantly lower top speed.

Furthermore we had real beasts in midfield - Wanyama was fantastic (now not the same player), Dembele was imperious (now a shadow) Dier had a great couple of seasons but has now looked poor for some time. We once bullied teams in midfield. We no longer do so. We had beasts with a capital B. I read that we were the only team in the Premier League over the weekend that didn't field a single player over 6'3'' (United had six!) Is it now our fate to be bullied in this key area? When Dembele was at his best, he created the room for Eriksen to shine. Without this space created for him, Eriksen too often looks ordinary.

We need to sort out our once solid defence. Poch needs to decide one and for all whether we go two or three at the back. My preference, if he continues to play high line full backs who aren't great at defending, is that we need three at the back.

The club failed to freshen things up with new players over the summer. Poch must now freshen things up with the resources at his disposal. It is a challenge, but we will see what sort of manager he is. Can he continue to inspire the players who he does have available to him - after all they are not exactly bad players. Over to you Poch. And please, no more disastrous tactics like against the Pool.

Last edited:
Are we becoming stale?

Even Poch now repeats the same old platitudes. He is in danger of becoming so repetitive that even the players stop listening. His total commitment to wingbacks relies on a solid platform behind them. On Saturday, he left our back two criminally exposed to Liverpool's front three - and in all honesty we should have had a pasting. I called for Sanchez to be introduced at half-time yet once again Poch was too slow (? too stubborn) to change things even though it was patently obvious that the plan wasn't working.

We certainly seem to have lost the verve and vibrancy that characterised Poch's early seasons in charge. Have our players got older and stopped chasing around, closing down like dervishes as they once did? Has once magnificent performances of fresh youth - Kane, Dele, Coco, Eriksen - been replaced by ageing mediocrity? I know they are still technically young but their youthful exuberance has seemingly worn off.

Our talisman, Kane, had been virtually unplayable until his ankle injury. He was a total goal machine. However, he isn't even getting shots off any more (7 against Pool last year with two goals compared to just two shots on Saturday). Indeed, virtually all his key stats are right down and the one that intrigued me the most was that he did 45 sprints against Liverpool last season while on Saturday he did only 7 - with a significantly lower top speed.

Furthermore we had real beasts in midfield - Wanyama was fantastic (now not the same player), Dembele was imperious (now a shadow) Dier had a great couple of seasons but has now looked poor for some time. We once bullied teams in midfield. We no longer do so. We had beasts with a capital B. I read that we were the only team in the Premier League over the weekend that didn't field a single player over 6'3'' (United had six!) Is it now our fate to be bullied in this key area? When Dembele was at his best, he created the room for Eriksen to shine. Without this space created for him, Eriksen too often looks ordinary.

We need to sort out our once solid defence. Poch needs to decide one and for all whether we go two or three at the back. My preference, if he continues to play high line full backs who aren't great at defending, is that we need three at the back.

The club failed to freshen things up with new players over the summer. Poch must now freshen things up with the resources at his disposal. It is a challenge, but we will see what sort of manager he is. Can he continue to inspire the players who he does have available to him - after all they are not exactly bad players. Over to you Poch. And please, no more disastrous tactics like against the Pool.

There was nothing wrong with the tactics against Pool - we got exposed simply because too many idiots fudged around and made catastrophic errors under little pressure, presenting the ball to their front three in advanced positions when we were on the front foot.

When the players were not committing the countless unforced catastrophic errors, we were dominating pool and they were creating nothing.

So not tactics, just players being dingdongs which is unforgivable following the arrogant display at Watford, where the team decided they could coast through in third gear and still win.

So massive sanctions should be placed on numerous players for costing us 6 points in the last two games. Because that's what we would have if they were on their game and fully focussed. They failed in many fundamental basics in these last two games and I feel collectively they should pay up around £3m that can go to charity.

Poch has made a good comment just now about using different competitions to rest players. This is a good approach, as we cannot afford to give players weeks off to rest. It seems Trippier and Toby are the first to benefit from this. I know it doesn't appear they need a rest, but we don't know the fitness stats and I can only assume these two need a rest as much as some others that we would think are the more obvious ones.

If there’s no Eriksen and no Trips and no Kane, who would take set pieces?

How about Lamela and Moura? Eriksen's set pieces have been poor so far this season as has he. As for Kane, has he really done anything since that free kick against Villa? Trippier is not even in the squad so that is simple

There was nothing wrong with the tactics against Pool -

About that, if you play a back 4 against Liverpool you cannot repeatedly have both full backs caught up the pitch leaving yourself with 2 defenders against 2 strikers, and in some instances 2 defenders against 3 strikers

About that, if you play a back 4 against Liverpool you cannot repeatedly have both full backs caught up the pitch leaving yourself with 2 defenders against 2 strikers, and in some instances 2 defenders against 3 strikers

Of course you cannot leave yourself caught in that scenario, but that's where you can employ that with a high quality team like Spurs playing at home, because those scenarios do not normally arise very often.

However we got caught in that scenario time and again due to the unprecedented amount of times a high quality side like us made unforced catastrophic errors.

But he had between January and May off

Could that actually be part of the problem?

Idk, we are not privy to the fitness stats and Poch is.

I think people need to have a little more faith and postpone writing our obituary or even micro questioning everything the manager is doing.

Poch has got this.

You can just smell UEFA manipulation in the air. Both Milan clubs are in serious need of an overall competitive boost, both domestically and in Europe. This game has dodgy calls for the home side written all over it. An early booking or two to add a dramatic edge and then bitchy flamenco moves from Inter to get the home crowd screaming until the ref caves in.

Last time we played Inter, it was an entirely different set of circumstances. It was dodgy calls to get these English interlopers out of our way.

Bring on The Taxis!

I've just read that Toby and Tripps haven't travelled due to a "technical decision"!!

WTF!!?? That can't be legit, bloody hope not!!

Sounds like he is choosing to rest 2 players who are either tired [mentally or physically] or carrying slight knocks or just not going to be needed.
E.g. if Poch wants to use Aurier and KWP in the CL, and use Trips in the league. Likewise Sanchez although you'd think Toby would be on the bench at least...

"You cannot bring 25 players and can only play 11," said Pochettino.

"That is the reason. It was a technical decision. You can find it in the dictionary, maybe tactical also on the pitch - yes, it's tactical too."

"I don't think we're realistic contenders in any single competition," added Pochettino.

"That is my view if we show the same face we did against Watford and Liverpool, so difficult. If we show the face from some bits of Old Trafford, then maybe yes."

Goodbye, one and all.

Well, for this thread, anyway. Just found out that all CL matches are no longer shown on the Canadian sports channels that have been friends to football since the '90s.

For the next three seasons, it's being shown here on that upstart streaming service DAZN. Fcuk that action. No need for me to subscribe to watch the NFL games I'm interested in. It's all over domestic TV over here.

It's like a switch flipped in my head when I saw that I'd have to pay another $150 for the occasional privilege of watching Spurs play CL football and get raped now and then by atrocious reffing. I really don't give a fcuk about other games. So, until that changes, it's arrivederci tuttiquanti. I'll take up curling instead.

I wish us well and hope you all post profoundly and verbosely with lots of links to highlights.

Can understand Trippier. If Poch was going to start with Aurier anyway then makes sense for Trips to have a full week off - no travel etc.

Toby I’m not so sure - maybe a slight knock but then surely Poch would have said that. Maybe also if he’d settled on Jan and Dav as a pair for this game then no harm in giving Toby a full week off.

Back