• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs. Everton FA Cup

Fantastically frustrating. The bright spot is that we played quite well, rest of the season could be fun if we keep attacking like this. Can only hope we got our individual defensive errors out of the way in one game for a while, but not at all confident about that.

Is this why we've been playing so deep? Are we really just so extremely porous defensively that our defenders need all that protection to look even alright?

Fantastically frustrating. The bright spot is that we played quite well, rest of the season could be fun if we keep attacking like this. Can only hope we got our individual defensive errors out of the way in one game for a while, but not at all confident about that.

Is this why we've been playing so deep? Are we really just so extremely porous defensively that our defenders need all that protection to look even alright?

If it is, then you'd have to wonder why we didn't do more to bring in some defensive stability last summer.

100% this IMO, the defenders aren’t good enough, constant individual errors. Even Hugo who had looked better for a while is reverting back to his old calamitous self.

it wasn’t long ago we had Walker, Jan, Toby and Rose at the back all at their peak. If you stuck them in this current side I think you’d see a huge difference. Just highlights the problem area to me at least.

I cut Winks a bit of slack because he's barely played recently, it does take some time to get that little bit of sharpness back. Yes he was terrible last night but I think he's good enough to be a backup player, you can't have a squad of first 11 players.

Even when we build teams, what's the point?

The point is to enjoy a match of football once or twice a week. I'd love us to win a trophy, but not at all costs. I've been saying this all along. I'd much rather enjoy one or two matches of football a week rather than hate watching football for a year and celebrate winning a trophy one night in May. I don't see the point of that. The journey is also the point in following football for me. It's not all about trophies. Anyone who'll have me believe that, I'm just going to disagree with. If you win a trophy for having played blistering football, fine! Love it. But win a trophy by sitting back and being a negative boring team to watch - fudge that. Gives me very very little, personally. I think people put too much emphasis on trophies.

If it is, then you'd have to wonder why we didn't do more to bring in some defensive stability last summer.

We bought Doherty and brought in Reguillon. Maybe he thought we had enough CBs and that at least a couple of them could be relied upon.

I cut Winks a bit of slack...I think he's good enough to be a backup player, you can't have a squad of first 11 players.

Honestly, I think he’d struggle to be a squad player at Bournemouth. He’s been here a long time now. I think he’s scored two goals and provided two assists(?), and he can’t defend for brick.

Seems a nice bloke though.

Only watched ET last night, but from reading the reports/forum at least we had a go, and less of the turgid football we have seen recently. Winks and Dele did look poor from what i saw, but sort of understandable even if very disappointing as it was sort of set-up for them to win it for us. Sissoko at RB didn't work, but guess this was due to lack of available alternatives.

Anyway, on to City, I irrationally think we can get something out of this game

Other areas were in even more desperate need for upgrades. Given that Mourinho didn't rate Foyth, saw Rose as past it and Sessegnon as not ready yet (all fine decisions imo) we effectively had one right back and one left back. We had more or less zero defensive midfielders, no target man striker backup...

With a limited transfer budget you do what you can, sort out the most pressing issues first, then try to get by. Seemed like we pushed for Skriniar, we did sign Rodon. It's clearly seen as a problem area.

I mean he non-figuratively stepped up to play his man offside and got it wrong
He kept the man onside and they scored from one of them
And I am biased... our CBS are awful and he is part of it. There is some kind of view that he is the best one we have but he offers no leadership and all his previous strengths are gone. It’s not his fault, his legs have gone. We saw it was Jan too

Would need to look at it again but the time in which Sanchez 'stepped up' to play offside none of the other back four had done so - not sure if that's Toby at fault if that's what happened?

I think we played well and 9 times out of 10 we win that. But we gifted them two goals and then three really good finishes.
We showed intent, desire, determination and no little pluck, not to mention some fine football.
Agreement, the performance gave me positive vibes. It didn't show me anything we didn't already know, our defence is porous and the squad players are dross. At least we went for it, I see more positives then negatives tbh. We can attack, we can score goals we can be positive.

Et5pRcyWQAcDnoS

Would need to look at it again but the time in which Sanchez 'stepped up' to play offside none of the other back four had done so - not sure if that's Toby at fault if that's what happened?
It happens too often and yet he is meant to be the leader of the line (that’s part of the issue as we have no leaders still)
I mean it can be argued that he is last man so calls the line but he just doesn’t move anywhere quick enough
People are remembering good Toby.... that players not been here for 2 years

I mean he non-figuratively stepped up to play his man offside and got it wrong
He kept the man onside and they scored from one of them
And I am biased... our CBS are awful and he is part of it. There is some kind of view that he is the best one we have but he offers no leadership and all his previous strengths are gone. It’s not his fault, his legs have gone. We saw it was Jan too
Are we talking about the last goal because I'm sure that was Doherty playing Bernard onside.

Are we talking about the last goal because I'm sure that was Doherty playing Bernard onside.
38C9F143-A0C5-4311-8C32-6B5C4AEDEB70.png

8 players from our side there watching
He runs past dele (he looks at another player), runs past PEH too who stays still and Doherty was covering the man outside him at the time and gets caught with two men
Toby has run out to stand in front of siggy and scare him I think

The point is to enjoy a match of football once or twice a week. I'd love us to win a trophy, but not at all costs. I've been saying this all along. I'd much rather enjoy one or two matches of football a week rather than hate watching football for a year and celebrate winning a trophy one night in May. I don't see the point of that. The journey is also the point in following football for me. It's not all about trophies. Anyone who'll have me believe that, I'm just going to disagree with. If you win a trophy for having played blistering football, fine! Love it. But win a trophy by sitting back and being a negative boring team to watch - fudge that. Gives me very very little, personally. I think people put too much emphasis on trophies.
Brilliant post!

View attachment 10957

8 players from our side there watching
He runs past dele (he looks at another player), runs past PEH too who stays still and Doherty was covering the man outside him at the time and gets caught with two men
Toby has run out to stand in front of siggy and scare him I think
All true but they were in a tight line and he was the one player behind the line playing Bernard onside. [emoji2379]

Post of the season for me

Back