• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT ***Tottenham Hotspur vs Crystal Palace***

But if we don't manage their fitness, they'll either get injured or they'll fall off a cliff in January. Remember Kane hasn't had a break in 2 years now because of consecutive international summers. We need to give them time to taper properly before we start getting them back towards a peak

I understand all that but our priority is to get our first three points of the season, because you know as well as i do if we do not get them on Saturday the bitching will start big time. Lets get the win and then the pressure will ease and then we could start thinking about what follows.

How do we know that this is the issue rather than them not quite being fully match fit yet?

Because Kane has played 116 games in the last 24 months and not had a summer break for 2 consecutive years.

Post-tournament fatigue is usually quite widespread, and most players don't have to do it 2 years in row.

Because Kane has played 116 games in the last 24 months and not had a summer break for 2 consecutive years.

Post-tournament fatigue is usually quite widespread, and most players don't have to do it 2 years in row.

I understand that but I still think that people are making assumptions that fatigue is a current issue. Our internationals have had lighter summers to try and help mitigate against this. I think that it is just as likely that our flat first half performance on Saturday was at least in part to us getting up to speed.

The only unforced change that I would be looking to make for this weekend would be in central midfield. We need a ball player in there alongside Dier to make us more fluent and to get the ball forward quicker.

There's a difference between being tired and not being up to match fitness - our problem, like most other teams at the beginning or the season, is that some of ours aren't yet match fit

Kane himself said after Saturday's game that he and others are not yet 100% match fit. No mention of tiredness, just that they are working hard in training to get up to speed for this coming weekend. If tiredness or fatigue were an issue you would have to assume that would impact on their progress in training, in which case, knowing the importance Poch places on performance in training sessions, you might expect to see one or two players benched. But there's nothing to suggest this is anything more than early season lack of sharpness after the extended break some players were rightly given.

It seems to me that the new excuse for managers is " the players are not yet at full fitness or up to speed yet" i have heard both Koeman and Wenger say this after games and its pathetic.

Its not as if this is the first season that has followed summer football.

It seems to me that the new excuse for managers is " the players are not yet at full fitness or up to speed yet" i have heard both Koeman and Wenger say this after games and its pathetic.

Do you not think that it takes a while for players to reach match fitness and find their form? This doesn't seem new to me.

Do you not think that it takes a while for players to reach match fitness and find their form? This doesn't seem new to me.

Of course it does just as it does most seasons, but this is the first time i have heard it used as a excuse by managers.

Of course it does just as it does most seasons, but this is the first time i have heard it used as a excuse by managers.

I'm sure that I've heard it before but I can't say that it is something that I've paid particular attention to.

If it is true that it does take a while for players to find their feet/form/fitness then I think that it is a little harsh to complain about managers mentioning it. Taking the pressure off players and damning down fan expectations seems like a sensible thing to do to me.

I must admit by way of mitigation for poor old Arsene, if there was one word to describe most of the games this weekend it was 'sluggish'.
Liverpool's billy wiz attacking style totally showed up the Arsenal 'defence' or lack thereof. But we looked like we were playing in flipflops in the first half at Everton.

There does look like there is a hangover from the Euro's for some players, it is though very strange considering all the sports science at the clubs disposal. Or could that be the problem?

I think it's because there's a broad drop-off in the levels in performance in post-tournament years - i.e. it affects most teams fairly equally.

Euros can be more troublesome than WCs because it's only 1 of the 4 main footballing continents involved, so it's more pockets than across the board. And also there was a big increase in the amount of teams at this competition compared to previous ones.

--------------Vorm------------
Walker--Toby--Jan---Rose
----------Dier---Dele--------
Lamela-----Kane--Eriksen
------------Janssen---------

Let's attack them and get the season going. COYS.

Evil_7d34bb_258071.jpg

Back