• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Ajax

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There is no way I could bet against Spurs but there is absolutely no way I could bet against them in a game like this. Each to their own but I don't get it.

Mitigates the disappointment of losing, I guess. While, if you win, you won't care at all about how much you've lost.

I don't bet, but if I did, it might be something I'd consider, too.

Let’s remember they had a full strength side out and we most certainly didn’t.

But, but... they're the second coming of football messiah. They'll smash barca in the final and all their players will go on to win ballon d'or. :p

definitely. Go in your full kit too.

Saucy.

It went as i expected......BUT that second half certainly didn't ...Ajax fizzled to not a lot and we imposed ourselves on the game (made them look a young team)...should have been the change of formation, should have been the amazing Sissoko...whatever it was it gives us hope.

Son will be back. We had the ball in 'final pass' positions tonight with no-one to aim at. Son and Moura in the channels will provide that.

Dele hopefully will show his class

They are sh.it at set pieces.

They have a cup final at the weekend.

They have been going into games with nothing to lose (great for a young free wheeling side) next week they have something to lose....let's see if the clarity and mental strength is there.

We have shown this year...we have no problem playing away.

This. This. THIS.

Let’s remember they had a full strength side out and we most certainly didn’t.

Mr No-excuses said no excuses, so no excuses.

Agree though; we'd probably be sitting on a lead, if we'd had everyone fit and available.

Last edited:
Hmm. If we didn’t have Bournemouth in between legs I’d be relatively confident.
But - of our own making - Saturday is now mega-important and we don’t have many rest options ahead of next week.
I’m still optimistic for Ajax away but boy if we get through Poch and the (remaining) players will absolutely deserve medals all round.

There is no way I could bet against Spurs but there is absolutely no way I could bet against them in a game like this. Each to their own but I don't get it.

I've often thought about it and makes more sense to me than any other betting strategy, but somehow, I've never brought myself to do it. Blood money overtones, I guess.

Sissoko made a massive difference because he can break the lines. So important. Dele and Moura hamstrung by Llorente, who is simply not able anymore. Wanyama and Trippier lacked quality on the ball; Foyth had much more.

For me, second leg line-up should be...

Lloris

Foyth
Toby
Davies
Rose

Dier
Sissoko

Moura Dele Eriksen
Son

I would have Foyth at RB because he has great technique, I’d have Davies over Davo at CB because he is a left-sided defender and as such the only option we have for Verts unless we play a three (which we should not - I also don’t think Verts will, or should, play)...I think Dier has to play instead of Wanyama.

I think we are going to surprise people. Ajax don’t like the physical side of it and I think a fit Sissoko is a massive return.

I've often thought about it and makes more sense to me than any other betting strategy, but somehow, I've never bought myself to do it. Blood money overtones, I guess.

Ah yeah, I can see the temptation from a "well if we lose, I get money out of it so it takes some of the edge off the defeat" but I just couldn't do it. Not for a CL semi-final. F**k me, I don't want any part of me hoping for anything other than a Spurs win.

You know what?

If we had won 1-0 tonight, that would be a really edgy/awkward scoreline. We wouldn't know whether to stick or twist.

And with 0-1 we don't know whether to go nuts or keep it sensible for 60 minutes... it is on a LITERAL* knife edge, literally.

*Not literally.

Please, no more of this three at the back garbage.
Really poor tactics - without Sissoko we gifted them the midfield in the first half. Do we ever play well with a 3? If Sissoko is fit, he should have started. But at only one down, there is everything to play for next week.

Mr No-excuses said no excuses, so no excuses.

Agree though; we'd probably be sitting on a lead, if we'd had everyone fit and available.
I’m suggesting perspective and not excuses! We should have scored two - and hopefully Son will shine (pun intended?) and Dele will rise to the occasion. He’s due it and will never not be in and around trying to make special things happen.

Overall. I hoped for more. Bit given what we had to play with I don’t feel we did too bad. Lots to improve on next week but Ajax didn’t cause us massive problems. I don’t recall Lloris having to deal with much. Of course the away goal gives them the advantage but with Son back we will have a more potent attack.
I still feel we are in this.

But - of our own making - Saturday is now mega-important and we don’t have many rest options ahead of next week.
I’m still optimistic for Ajax away but boy if we get through Poch and the (remaining) players will absolutely deserve medals all round.
Like a trophy?

Well considering how much we improved due to some tactical tweaks over the course of this match, I’m optimistic that Pochettino will have us better prepared for return leg and having a fully fit Sissoko starting plus Son back from suspension should see our performance improve a great deal.

26AFB3BD-E92E-4041-AC91-969B0113D722.png
EEB46B25-EF2E-49EE-AC32-875E3B323886.png

The clouds are gathering with the injury to Vertonghen. We somehow have to buck the trend of the past several weeks at Dean Court (just the 5 away defeats on the spin), properly show up and put in a winning performance. I don't think a draw will be good enough ultimately, not least because I don't really see us progressing in the CL now, if I'm honest*, and I think the deflation that brings, on top of everything else will see us cave in to Everton on closing day. We will almost certainly miss out on top 4 if that happens.

* We're still in there with a chance, yes.

Last edited:
Sissoko made a massive difference because he can break the lines. So important. Dele and Moura hamstrung by Llorente, who is simply not able anymore. Wanyama and Trippier lacked quality on the ball; Foyth had much more.

For me, second leg line-up should be...

Lloris

Foyth
Toby
Davies
Rose

Dier
Sissoko

Moura Dele Eriksen
Son

I would have Foyth at RB because he has great technique, I’d have Davies over Davo at CB because he is a left-sided defender and as such the only option we have for Verts unless we play a three (which we should not - I also don’t think Verts will, or should, play)...I think Dier has to play instead of Wanyama.

I think we are going to surprise people. Ajax don’t like the physical side of it and I think a fit Sissoko is a massive return.
I think Wanyama has done well since coming back but tonight the young players of Ajax made him look like a vets player. Dier can at least be tactically aware even if he hasn't been his best lately.

Trippier can do one. Foyth offers more atm going forward. I know Foyth might make a mistake but Trippier can make two :). Plus he's another tall guy, they are sh.it at set pieces.

Jan might play. Think concussion has a mandatory 6 day lay off in the prem (all being well of course). It's 8 days until the 2nd leg.

Wanyama is done, its a massive mistake to play him against a team of young mobile players, i said it before the game and it played out that game.
He may look ok on TV as when he is on the screen he may win the ball, however if you cant see him on your screen its because he's 20yrs behind play, he literally cant run.

We needed Legs in Midifield, but Poch is working with what he has, not with what he would like.

Weirdly im more confident after the game than before, seemed we were a bit too respectful of them. and it looked like we have the ability to take control of the game.
They could still blow us away second half, but if the 2nd leg is like the 2nd half, and we have son instead of Llorente i think we go through

Back