• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - *** Tottenham Hotspur v some Scouse team ***

I think Kane dummied Lovren for the second goal. He steps towards the ball, too far to actually head or control it, before quickly spinning and running. Lovren was more looking for a duel, to not let Kane get a clean touch, but then got caught by Kane spinning around.

Absolutely a mistake and poor from Lovren, but not only that. Kane makes that happen.
Brilliant attacking play and shocking defending

Lovren played Kane offside, it was Gomes who played Kane onside and Matip who put in a woeful "challenge" on Kane, and Mignolet who came speeding out and left an open goal after trying to foul Kane, so they were all at fault. Keystone.
And Mignolet actually did manage to foul Kane. He grabbed his ankle, which made Harry lose his balance for a moment. But Kane being Kane, just kept on going. I wonder if he had not scored whether the ref would have given a pen. Probably not, lousy clam that he is.

Fewer shots perhaps, but we crushed the xG statistic.

The way you present it it almost sounds like based ok stats it was a close game we won by superior finishing. In fact we looked dangerous almost every time Kane or Son got near the ball. The xG stat represents that quite well.

Oh, no, I didn't mean to imply that it was close - I meant to imply that we had the right plan and executed it perfectly. To put it another way, you could replay that game ten times and we'd win it nine times out of ten, whether or not Lovren makes the same mistakes again.

It's the way we needed to play against Liverpool, and it worked to perfection.

Agree with all of that.

I do wonder, considering it's been so obvious how to beat Liverpool for a while now, why we didn't do this last year when even poor teams were. I can only assume at the top level it is seen to not be best practice to chop and change strategies unless the core strategy is truly baked in. Kind of like how Southgate was saying he intended to start trying different formations once we had qualified rather than risking it in a match that means something.

Poch must have always known this would be how to beat Liverpool, and how to compete in Europe. I guess we've seen with Mourinho, they've been in good scoring form, park the bus against Liverpool, and then lose all semblance of fluency against Huddersfield. We may have lost against Liverpool at Anfield last year, but broadly we kept our fluency for the rest of the season. Now, that fluency is second nature, we can be more creative.

That's a reasonable assessment. It's certainly possible - especially since Liverpool also seem to have just one way of playing, much like us in 15/16. Maybe Klopp prefers fluency to adaptability at this time as well - because I can't imagine that he isn't smart enough to know that he needs a different way to play at times.

That's a reasonable assessment. It's certainly possible - especially since Liverpool also seem to have just one way of playing, much like us in 15/16. Maybe Klopp prefers fluency to adaptability at this time as well - because I can't imagine that he isn't smart enough to know that he needs a different way to play at times.

He just strikes me as being too arrogant to change

singalongapoch.jpg

And Mignolet actually did manage to foul Kane. He grabbed his ankle, which made Harry lose his balance for a moment. But Kane being Kane, just kept on going. I wonder if he had not scored whether the ref would have given a pen. Probably not, lousy clam that he is.

That ref was brick ...

I think it is far too early to be writing Klopp's obituary. After all he took 2 league titles off Bayern and has laid the foundation for where Dortmund are now. He also showed last season he has what it takes to get his teams to compete with the top teams in the league. He has not completed his second full season yet. Plenty of time for him to come good but imho he does need another tigerish defensive midfielder similar to Lucas Levia and I can't understand why he sold sakho to Palace.

Btw some might say Poch did not set up well against Pool at Anfield or the Lane last season. This is the first time we have come out on top.

Btw some might say Poch did not set up well against Pool at Anfield or the Lane last season. This is the first time we have come out on top.

We drew at the lane, they had the penalty that was soft in the first half and didn't threaten in the second. At their ground we were shocking I agree

Having just watched the game again on Sky I can see where Liverpool have gone wrong, they should have spent more time on the training ground rather than making Nivea adverts.
There was only one team on Saturday Sunday worth creaming oneself over.

I'll get me coat.

Last edited:
I think it is far too early to be writing Klopp's obituary. After all he took 2 league titles off Bayern and has laid the foundation for where Dortmund are now. He also showed last season he has what it takes to get his teams to compete with the top teams in the league. He has not completed his second full season yet. Plenty of time for him to come good but imho he does need another tigerish defensive midfielder similar to Lucas Levia and I can't understand why he sold sakho to Palace.

Yes, but 4 out of 5 of his current defenders were Rogers players, and the side has exactly the same problems (with a worse win percentage).

Klopp did well last season by countering the top sides very well (and that's what got him a CL chance), however
- He hasn't figured out the brick teams, and that's the big step the Klopp/Pep/Conte's have to figure out, no show up and roll over the opponent with your B team in the PL.
- He hasn't been ruthless with the poor players (something Wenger suffers from as well, but Jose, Conte, Pep & Poch are good at).
- The big teams now take them seriously, and as City/Us have shown, can cause painful results

They will roll the occasional side, but will come unstuck just as often. For Pool to qualify again, they need someone to fudge up (Scum, United, Us) vs. them achieving it on pure decent, consistent football.

He's a one trick pony - can get away with that in a league where there's only one real competitor but he's getting found out here (as I predicted :) )
Ok but he also took Dortmund to a champions league Final, beating a Jose Mourinho Madrid along the way.

The question was asked earlier in the thread which players has he improved? At Liverpool, aside maybe Roberto Firmino, it is difficult to make a case but at Dortmund the list is lengthy. Robert Lewandoski was about to join Blackburn before Klopp snapped him up and turned him into a world class striker. Ilkay Gungdowan was relatively unknown. Hummels and Subotic similarly may disagree with when we question his coaching of defenders.

In the season he took over from Rodgers he led them to 2 cup finals. In his first full season he took them to a Champions league spot at the expense of Arsenal and Man Utd in the league. All with a modest net spend.

I still think he is a top class manager and I am glad he is out of reach for both Arsenal and Chelsea. I am as pleased as anyone to have finally beaten Liverpool but I just wouldn't read too much into their current plight.

Ok but he also took Dortmund to a champions league Final, beating a Jose Mourinho Madrid along the way.

The question was asked earlier in the thread which players has he improved? At Liverpool, aside maybe Roberto Firmino, it is difficult to make a case but at Dortmund the list is lengthy. Robert Lewandoski was about to join Blackburn before Klopp snapped him up and turned him into a world class striker. Ilkay Gungdowan was relatively unknown. Hummels and Subotic similarly may disagree with when we question his coaching of defenders.

In the season he took over from Rodgers he led them to 2 cup finals. In his first full season he took them to a Champions league spot at the expense of Arsenal and Man Utd in the league. All with a modest net spend.

I still think he is a top class manager and I am glad he is out of reach for both Arsenal and Chelsea. I am as pleased as anyone to have finally beaten Liverpool but I just wouldn't read too much into their current plight.

I'm not knocking what he has done previously, he obviously done a great job with Dortmund with his geggenpress and brought them some success - one style of play won't last for ever though and now the footballing world is used to it it's time for him to adapt and find a new approach/alter the current one - but he hasn't shown any signs of that with Liverpool so far with the same problems occurring time and time again. What would worry me if I were a Liverpool fan is that i don't think he's actually interested in doing that (or more than likely as i suspect doesnt know how to) he just seems to want to go down the cheque book route buy a couple of 60m rated defensive players to solve their problems rather than look at and adapt his tactics - Unless he sorts his approach out VVD and Keita will only paper over the cracks whereas a genuine top level manager would be able to make the players at Liverpool perform better than they are defensively

Last edited:

Until they address the issue of his shocking defence he will never progress at that club

Hell they brought in Robertson who is arguably their best defender it seems and he can't get a game

Back