• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v S.S. Lazio***

I agree, if anyone has to go, its Levy imho. There comes a point where you have to take responsibility for your actions.

His actions being taking us from midtable mediocrity to top 4 challengers, with a new state of the art training ground and a new stadium on the horizon. And all this WITHOUT gambling with the financial future of the club. Yes, off with his head.

Add to this no big man up front until recently, and I am actually baffled as to why people cannot see what a massive, massive shift this is for the team. It's going to take time, and if he can keep us in touch with the top 4 and progressing in the Europa during that time, then excellent work!

This. Yes it was a nervous performance but on a poor pitch against a good team who play to the pitch's "strengths". Away draw= decent result, even if some of our play was pretty crappy. ONWARDS.

Yet another dire lifeless boring display. Playing crap and getting results is one thing but watching this turgid rubbish, week in and week out, with a return of just 2 wins in 9 games is just plain awful. Im the most bored I have been in years watching Spurs.

All these crap about no Modric and Rafa is just shying away from the facts. Look at other teams in the premiership who, man for man, have WORSE squads then us, yet still play better football then us.

Yet another dire lifeless boring display. Playing crap and getting results is one thing but watching this turgid rubbish, week in and week out, with a return of just 2 wins in 9 games is just plain awful. Im the most bored I have been in years watching Spurs.

All these crap about no Modric and Rafa is just shying away from the facts. Look at other teams in the premiership who, man for man, have WORSE squads then us, yet still play better football then us.

That has been my biggest concern too. People keeping making excuses for it, making excuses for being outplayed by Wigan, Norwich, WBA at home etc. but really there is no excuse for it to happen so much on a regular basis. Every top team has the odd bad day at the office, but we are having too many and with the calibre of players at our disposal even with injuries and the departure of Modric and VDV surely we are capable of playing more attractive football than we are doing?

I am not so concerned about recent results though because we've had a tough run. A fixture list of 10 games can be kind or hard, and people focus too heavily on the results and not the circumstances. Losing against Arsenal and City away is no biggie. Losing to Wigan at home hurt though!

A lot of play last season came through Luka Modric and BAE. Yes. The latter was vital at releasing Bale/offering a credible threat if Bale got covered. VdV was also obviously 'a' factor, but the real dynamo was always Luka. In Carroll we have someone who can hit those areas (albeit not Luka) and with a fit Dembele it allows us to play only Sandro as the 'destroyer'...

Add to this no big man up front until recently, and I am actually baffled as to why people cannot see what a massive, massive shift this is for the team. It's going to take time, and if he can keep us in touch with the top 4 and progressing in the Europa during that time, then excellent work!

Good post Steff.

Nearly all our build up play came from Benny, in a triangle with Modric and Bale, Bae being the point of the triangle. further up the pitch it tended to be Ade,Bale and Modric. Benny was important, as was Ade who has not been available for months.
Once he serves his suspension and Benny is back we will be better, the glaring absentee that was involved in nearly all our play in all parts of the pitch was Modric though.

Maybe Mouthinio or Dembele dropping deep can fill this role but i think the latter holds onto the ball too long and doesn't have the vision of Modric.
Mouthino scored a great free kick and had two assists for Porto this week in the CL and looked quality.

Our full backs and also our centre halfs, well certainly Caulker and now also the ageing Gallas are very limited on the ball too, we miss King and Kaboul.

having a 'worse' but settled squad compared to missing almost your entire spine from the previous season and a new manager to boot is hardly a fair comparison mate. i agree we need to shape up with our performances as they aren't good enough, especially since Dembele has been out, but i can see reasons as to why things are how they are and am encouraged by how we started to play when Dembele was in the team for an extended run (unbeaten in 7). also encouraged with AVB's apparent flexibility in these recent games, and the introduction of Carroll

Again it's not great. But let's judge when he gets his 1st team squad together.

As long as we're there or thereabout result wise I have no problem with AVB. The next two transfer windows are key to our progress. We need to find and acquire those key components that will knit this whole thing together and I believe that would be the case regardless of who the manager is.

Good post Steff.

Nearly all our build up play came from Benny, in a triangle with Modric and Bale, Bae being the point of the triangle. further up the pitch it tended to be Ade,Bale and Modric. Benny was important, as was Ade who has not been available for months.
Once he serves his suspension and Benny is back we will be better, the glaring absentee that was involved in nearly all our play in all parts of the pitch was Modric though.

Maybe Mouthinio or Dembele dropping deep can fill this role but i think the latter holds onto the ball too long and doesn't have the vision of Modric.
Mouthino scored a great free kick and had two assists for Porto this week in the CL and looked quality.

Our full backs and also our centre halfs, well certainly Caulker and now also the ageing Gallas are very limited on the ball too, we miss King and Kaboul.

I can't wait for Ekotto to come back, because I think the one thing he really gives you on that side is an outball that can be played and received under pressure. But I think Vertonghen is a more intelligent player even played there and uses the ball better. So I don't think Benny's absence from the side is a reason as to why we aren't keeping possession or showing much going forward. But it is a reason as to why we are more defensively frail.

That has been my biggest concern too. People keeping making excuses for it, making excuses for being outplayed by Wigan, Norwich, WBA at home etc. but really there is no excuse for it to happen so much on a regular basis. Every top team has the odd bad day at the office, but we are having too many and with the calibre of players at our disposal even with injuries and the departure of Modric and VDV surely we are capable of playing more attractive football than we are doing?

I am not so concerned about recent results though because we've had a tough run. A fixture list of 10 games can be kind or hard, and people focus too heavily on the results and not the circumstances. Losing against Arsenal and City away is no biggie. Losing to Wigan at home hurt though!

My take is that it's the system we are playing rather than just the players. We are not playing with much assurance at the back and are clearing the ball often in a panic rather than picking out the passes ( this without Dawson whose supposed to be the poorest ball playing defender). Demebele returning will help as he can hold the ball well and run with it into attack. Today it was awful that we brought on Lennon and Defoe but made absolutely no use of them we were too hurried with our clearances which were inevitably coming right back add to that the big gaps in between the centre halves which Lazio were exploiting.

I can't wait for Ekotto to come back, because I think the one thing he really gives you on that side is an outball that can be played and received under pressure. But I think Vertonghen is a more intelligent player even played there and uses the ball better. So I don't think Benny's absence from the side is a reason as to why we aren't keeping possession or showing much going forward. But it is a reason as to why we are more defensively frail.[/QUOTE

Funny how when things are going "badly" we put it down to missing players. TBH before he got injured BAE was being slated for making positional mistakes which were costing us goals.

His actions being taking us from midtable mediocrity to top 4 challengers, with a new state of the art training ground and a new stadium on the horizon. And all this WITHOUT gambling with the financial future of the club. Yes, off with his head.

I agree with what your saying but when you think about it, judged by off the field success? Would we be saying that 15 years ago... how football has changed. He hired the guys he lives by their performance.

Im not going to turn this into a Levy and manager debate but he took a massive, massive, gamble sacking Harry. Irrespective of results, im now realising, and missing, how nice we were to watch. This season i hardly watch us, we are boring, dull and making school boy errors. Not fun to watch.

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas has called for Uefa to investigate alleged anti-semitic chanting during their Europa League draw with Lazio in Rome.

Home supporters sang "Juden Tottenham" during the first half of the goalless game.

In October, Lazio were fined 40,000 euros (£32,500) following racist chanting at White Hart Lane.

"We will have to wait and see if there is anything to act upon," said Villas-Boas. "If there is, Uefa have to act."

During the 0-0 draw in London in September, Tottenham trio Jermain Defoe, Aaron Lennon and Andros Townsend were reportedly subjected to monkey chants.

Following the chanting in Rome, the Spurs manager said: "It will take another investigation. It happened last time and it was acted upon quickly by Uefa."

Thursday's tie at Stadio Olimpico had already been preceded by violence between rival supporters the night before.

A Tottenham fan was seriously injured and several hurt in the clash, after reports that 40 men wearing helmets and with covered faces attacked an English group.

Villas-Boas paid tribute to his club's travelling fanbase, and those caught up in the violence.

"It is an extremely difficult moment for them," he admitted.

"We have to be aware there is a police investigation and I'm not in control of all facts.

"But there is massive disappointment, and the fear they've gone through is hard. [We] give them a message of support. As a club, we will try to help them overcome this."

Turning his attention to the draw in Rome, Tottenham's manager was full of praise for his French keeper Hugo Lloris, who made a string of crucial saves.

"It was important for him and he was a great help for the team," Villas-Boas said. "He was decisive in a couple of moments."

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20456027

We should have won this match. Bale was clearly onside when he scored early in the first half. It was wrongly disallowed by the the linesman. It is a disgrace how mistakes like these keeps on happening in big matches. Remember, we were also denied 2 valid goals against Lazio at home. It seems we are not getting much luck with the refs this season. We didn't create many chances but that was to be expected in tight matches like these especially when you play away. Bale's goal should have made the difference.

It was disappointing not to win but it was nice to keep a clean sheet for once. Lloris have to take full credit for that as he made a few crucial saves especially those one-on-one situations. I think this performance will go a long way in helpind Lloris settle in at Spurs. It would have been more valuable if we had win. But apart from Bale's shot in first half, don't think we made any attempts on goal. I think we badly lacked a creative midfielder like Modric. Dembele had too little time to make any impact for us.

A positive thing from this match is the return of Dembele. We are still unbeaten in all the matches Dembele has played for us. Hopefully we will go on another unbeaten run now that Dembele has returned. We have badly missed the creativity of Dembele while he was out injured. Just hope he will stay injury free and help us improve our league form.

Back