• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT *Tottenham Hotspur v Pacos De Ferreira*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it really a bad thing if we go out of this tournament?

Not sure on prize money or what competition it gets us into next season If we win it, but less games and travel means better first team for the other cups and chase for the CL.

Yes it would be embarrassing for a few weeks but would be forgotten if it helped our league form. Can't remember the last time we weren't in Europe but wonder if it would help.
I'd rather we went out
It's clear from last year and tonight that our fringe players are an embarassment so seriously why bother
I put zero blame on any of the kids tonight

3. The squad is very thin. How we could do with a solid addition in every line, say, for argument's sake: Lewis Dunk, James Ward-Prowse, and Ollie Watkins. That is the kind of meat we require on our pretty bare bones. I'm not sure two more fancy foreign signings (the Japanese defender, the midfielder from Cagliari etc.) would help us as much.

Championship players would be the only British ones we could afford. How we let Olise go to Palace I do not know.

But Brooks, Knight at Derby and Collins at Stoke are the sort we could afford and would be decent to good and the right age.

I agree our squad options are not good enough and it feels like we need Arneseen to come in and sell a whole load of players and bring in some that improve the squad.

If we'd had Kane and Ndombele playing I think we walk that. Just missing a couple of players really. Was a stretch too far without one or two more senior players. Gil and Sessgnon showed promise. Doherty and Davies were fine. Winks and LeCelco looked poor, but had little to work with. Credit Pacos, 4th in their league they worked hard, hardly created anything themsleves. We should deal with them at home no probs.

Last edited:
I'd rather we went out
It's clear from last year and tonight that our fringe players are an embarassment so seriously why bother
I put zero blame on any of the kids tonight

Just hope we don't play the first team next week. Less Sunday matches will mean I get up to the lane more as well.

If we'd had Kane and Ndombele playing I think we walk that. Just missing a couple of players really. Was a stretch too far. Gil and Sessgnon showed promise. Doherty and Davies were fine. Winks and LeCelco looked poor, but had little to work with. Credit Pacos, 4th in their league they worked hard, hardly created anything themsleves. We should deal with them at home no probs.
Doherty and Davies were shocking. They gave the ball away as much as anyone on the pitch

Well, that was pretty poor. Trying to create some perspective here. So, what did we we learn from today's performance?

1. It all felt very Europa League of last year. Different manager, different players - about half of them anyway - but watching us felt exactly the same as Plovdiv away, Antwerp away, Zagreb away. I think we'll qualify next week, but it would be nice for a change to win a game like this one convincingly. Clearly we're not there yet, we're not even near.

2. It appears to be pretty difficult for our players, same as last season, to be sufficiently motivated for games likes this one. As a fan, I find that hard to stomach. Or does it just appear to be the case?

3. The squad is very thin. How we could do with a solid addition in every line, say, for argument's sake: Lewis Dunk, James Ward-Prowse, and Ollie Watkins. That is the kind of meat we require on our pretty bare bones. I'm not sure two more fancy foreign signings (the Japanese defender, the midfielder from Cagliari etc.) would help us as much.

4. Impossible to judge the new signings based on this game. The goalkeeper looks solid, but that's really just a hunch because he had very little to do. What strikes me is that a stellar international player like Lo Celso cannot place his mark on a game like this one. Not sure he is the answer to any of the questions we are facing anyway. The only player to come away with any credit for me was Sessegnon - the only one willing to take the game to Pacos.

5. And: focusing on the PL (as fans) means we tend to underestimate teams like Pacos (or: Antwerp; or: Zagreb etc). These are decent sides.
I don't think that was motivation. That team we put out is of lower quality than their team. Many of our younger players are nowhere near yet ready for that level (Nile John, Scarlett) and if you combine that with players who we know are simply not good enough irrespective of age (CCV, Doherty, Winks) then you're on the back foot straight away.

I was impressed with Sessegnon. Did well at both ends of the pitch and was the only player we had that looked to get beyond them. Gil had a few nice touches but looks a long way from being a first team player for us. Gollini seems assured. I think he'll be the best back up keeper we've had for many a year. Romero looked a bit shaky in the first half, mainly from a positional perspective but improved in the second half and his foul on the halfway line when Winks had (yet again) left us badly exposed with them running directly at our defence was a smart one. I thought Davies was OK, he's not a top 6 player but I guess decent enough to have around the squad and won't let us down in the European games.

Difficult to tell who was worse out of CCV and Winks. CCV was all over the place but there is absolutely zero point in having Harry Winks in midfield, he has no presence at all and players can just go round him at will or even through him if they so wish. His positional sense is terrible and they way that he first lost it and then dived in to leave a chasm of space behind him for Pacos' goal was unforgivable. I was also disappointed (as is often the case) with Lo Celso. I don't really know what he does on the football pitch? He is neither destroyer or creator, just ambles around making the odd foul really. I think Winks and Lo Celso must be right up there as the weakest central midfields in Europe and it is no surprise that Nuno picked Hojbjerg, Skipp and Dele as his options in there for the PL game at the weekend (and one assumes this weekend). This should've been a game for Lo Celso and Winks as 'senior' players to stand up be counted and to make sure that we dominated the game. Instead they were amongst our worst players I thought and made the game more difficult for the youngsters.

Still, the result was better than the performance and coming away with a 1-0 loss there with that makeshift team out is fine in terms of results. It also sets it up quite nicely for next Thursday and I'm heading up to Spurs for the game with my son with us off on holiday the following day so we will start our holiday early with several Neck Oils and (hopefully) a good performance where we overcome the 1-0 defecit.

Unfortunately I think Nuno will have to make at least 6 changes to that team however with CCV swapped out, the proper midfield 3 coming in for Winks, Lo Celso and Nile John and either Son or Kane and one of Moura or Bergwijn playing. I'd also swap out Doherty for Aurier (who is a considerably better player) but it seems the club are trying to get him out so we might be stuck with our non attacking wing back.

Last edited:
I guess we should be looking towards winning the league instead?
Will be shot down, but yes we should. We are Tottenham and came close a few years back under Poch.

Every year we should be aiming for that and then anything less is great. If we aim for 4th no wonder we are fudging up.

You don't need to have City's money to win the league, it helps, but if you have the right scouting system, manager and players in place you can outsmart the big spenders. With our team/squad all it needs is the right re-jigging and we should absolutely be aiming to win the league.

Not sure on prize money or what competition it gets us into next season If we win it, but less games and travel means better first team for the other cups and chase for the CL.

Yes it would be embarrassing for a few weeks but would be forgotten if it helped our league form. Can't remember the last time we weren't in Europe but wonder if it would help.
We'd get about £15m for winning it and also the coefficient points are well worth hoovering up. We'd be better off sacking off the domestic cup competitions to chase this one from both a financial and UEFA coefficient perspective.

Damn it, man, have you no regard for our super soar-away UEFA co-efficient?

My only hope is they player like brick because they have been told they have no future here.
I think it is only the ones not in the team at the weekend or tonight that have no future (Sissoko, Aurier and (perhaps) Ndombele..... Though I think all three would've put in performances a few classes above what we saw from the likes of Doherty, Winks and Lo Celso tonight!)

Yeah, because we've won so much in the last 20 years, that actually caring about a competition we can and should win, would be ridiculous. With all the glory we've had, this is so beneath us. Pfft!

I really do feel like that but I also see you do care and I hope you enjoy every moment of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back