• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Chelscum ***

We didn't lack effort, we lacked quality. Chelsea pressed us and pressured us from the offset never letting us get into any rhythm. So the entire first half was basically played on the backdoor constantly chasing shadows.

If we okay players uncomfortable with the ball at their feet this will happen, add in the extreme pressure and those same players will crumble an make mistakes when on possession. I'm a broken record but we need more players who are comfortable with the ball, better passers, better technicians, because we saw last night that we our workrate can be matched or even outclassed but their superior technique is something we had no match for.
Posted my reply and then read yours just after…. As you see I agree completely. Teams press to take advantage of opposition players having poor technique. When Chelsea play Emirates Marketing Project they don’t play a full press against them as they know Emirates Marketing Project will play through it.

His coordination is poor at best and he wishes his technique matched that. But hey, we can keep supporting and defending him, Tanganga, Davies and even Dier. Then wonder why you are not even close to the top teams, of course it's Kane's fault, Son's fault or maybe young Skipp's fault.

Don't get me wrong. I have criticised Davinson before, see his flaws, and would like an upgrade on him. I hold him partly responsible for the second goal last night, just not the first.
I try not to post negative stuff about our players, but have made exceptions with Doherty and Sanchez, especially recently. But I don't want to just go in on them when it's not deserved.

We are nowhere near being better than Chelsea. ‘This kind of thing happens’ far too often when we come up against a really top team (and also against much poorer teams in Europe). Too many of the players aren’t good enough, and too many of them don’t have the right mentality. It’s the same problem that has been apparent for 3+ years now.

It's happened once under Conte. Once.
I'll give much more time and many many more games before succumbing to the despair and bemoaning 'same old Spurs' despite very very obvious moves at the top for us to now change the 'same old way' of doing things.

It would have been interesting to see how the game panned out without the first goal and the manner of it. That goal knocked us back.
We looked to be following the old compact for 15 mins and then work ourselves into the game.
Chelsea had a lot of the ball almost unchallenged 25-30 yards from goal, but with little real threat. They played a lot of nice patterns with crisp passes and good movement, but it was in a vacated midfield and they seldom got behind us.
The real issue for me is we just can't make the ball stick for any length of time when it goes up field.
Son has totally lost his touch, harry wants to take on players and win fouls and moura is running with the ball but has no support from behind.
On the occasion we work it wide there's no one in the box to cross it to.
When we did look like we were about to create anything we made wrong or poor passes.
Two CBs out, lwb out, peh and son both having dips and still coming to terms with the new manager and his system, this was always going to be a tough game.
As bad as it was lets not get to downhearted, its still very early days.

It would have been interesting to see how the game panned out without the first goal and the manner of it. That goal knocked us back.
We looked to be following the old compact for 15 mins and then work ourselves into the game.
Chelsea had a lot of the ball almost unchallenged 25-30 yards from goal, but with little real threat. They played a lot of nice patterns with crisp passes and good movement, but it was in a vacated midfield and they seldom got behind us.
The real issue for me is we just can't make the ball stick for any length of time when it goes up field.
Son has totally lost his touch, harry wants to take on players and win fouls and moura is running with the ball but has no support from behind.
On the occasion we work it wide there's no one in the box to cross it to.
When we did look like we were about to create anything we made wrong or poor passes.
Two CBs out, lwb out, peh and son both having dips and still coming to terms with the new manager and his system, this was always going to be a tough game.
As bad as it was lets not get to downhearted, its still very early days.
Agree on all of this
Son lost the ball 6 times… and had 1 unsuccessful touch
Kane was 4 times…
Then it was Davies, Hojberg and moura all on 2

some of that is poor passing to these players but for me we have no alternative so we have to accept that right now son can’t control a bag of sand, or Kane will drop deep as he has to get some of the ball

We didn't lack effort, we lacked quality. Chelsea pressed us and pressured us from the offset never letting us get into any rhythm. So the entire first half was basically played on the backdoor constantly chasing shadows.

If we okay players uncomfortable with the ball at their feet this will happen, add in the extreme pressure and those same players will crumble an make mistakes when on possession. I'm a broken record but we need more players who are comfortable with the ball, better passers, better technicians, because we saw last night that we our workrate can be matched or even outclassed but their superior technique is something we had no match for.

It’s not ‘effort’ it is ‘quality’…. When you have 2 of 3 CBs and your 2 CMs not comfortable on the ball against a team of good players playing a very well coached high press it will always go badly.

Of course we lack quality. That's why our effort and intensity needs to be at extremely high levels. Hugo agrees: https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-chelsea-fc-carabao-cup-hugo-lloris-b975186.html

It's happened once under Conte. Once.
I'll give much more time and many many more games before succumbing to the despair and bemoaning 'same old Spurs' despite very very obvious moves at the top for us to now change the 'same old way' of doing things.

There were issues planinly visible in our games against Southampton and Watford too. Conte himself said in his comments last night that it's the job of at least one year to even begin to attempt a fix (and that assumes that he is backed to take the necessary steps).

The bulk of these players have seen off three managers already. Until many of them are shipped out, and real depth is added to the squad, it's my view that not much will change. You can't make silk purses out of sow's ears.

I'm not despairing, but I'm realistic - as well as being a bit concerned that we are at the end of the first week of January and there is no real sign of any business taking place, either on ins or outs.

There were issues planinly visible in our games against Southampton and Watford too. Conte himself said in his comments last night that it's the job of at least one year to even begin to attempt a fix (and that assumes that he is backed to take the necessary steps).

The bulk of these players have seen off three managers already. Until many of them are shipped out, and real depth is added to the squad, it's my view that not much will change. You can't make silk purses out of sow's ears.

I'm not despairing, but I'm realistic - as well as being a bit concerned that we are at the end of the first week of January and there is no real sign of any business taking place, either on ins or outs.

Other than an actual signing, what would alleviate your concern in that regard?

The club mouthpieces have already begun parrottibg the ENIC line, mate. No money, difficult January, need to find the right players. Gold, Dan Kilpatrick et al.

Clubs across Europe have either completed deals or are lining them up as we speak. Clock's ticking on us to get going and actually back Conte, but we seem to be falling right back into the old rigmarole instead.

I'm waiting on the end of the window - I still hope we actually want to back this guy. But I share your concerns.

You can only have so much work. Chelsea worked just as hard so their superior quality showed through. Chelsea's work was at an exteme level, expecting us to better that is unrealistic.

Intensity and work are not the same thing.

The Club is extremely disappointed by homophobic chanting from sections of our support at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night.

We work closely with our LGBTQ+ fan group Proud Lilywhites to create a welcoming and inclusive environment at our Club and are proud to display the Progress Flag in our stadium on matchdays.

No one should suffer discrimination because of their sexual orientation and/or their gender identity, and we urge supporters not to use this chant.

Homophobic chanting at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium should be reported by texting HPH and location details to 07537 404821. At other stadia, it should be reported to the nearest steward or via the home club’s reporting number.

There is no place for discrimination at Tottenham Hotspur.

Rentboy chant presumably. You could hear it on TV at times.

Agree on all of this
Son lost the ball 6 times… and had 1 unsuccessful touch
Kane was 4 times…
Then it was Davies, Hojberg and moura all on 2

some of that is poor passing to these players but for me we have no alternative so we have to accept that right now son can’t control a bag of sand, or Kane will drop deep as he has to get some of the ball

I think we miss someone following up the front three, dele, glc or Ndombele, as a goal threat.
We are so one dimensional.

I don't get this. I'm fully LGBT rights paid up, went on the abolish section 28 marches etc. But rent boy isn't homophobic, it's simply a slur about prostitution. It's the same as 'your mum's a fluffy bunnies cuddling'. Both just recognise that football crowds, and most ultras, are about predominantly male.

It's actually the chanting against Brighton (the 'does your boyfriend know you're out' etc.) that I see as much more problematic.

Of course we lack quality. That's why our effort and intensity needs to be at extremely high levels. Hugo agrees: https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-chelsea-fc-carabao-cup-hugo-lloris-b975186.html
When one team is playing a high pressing game and the other team is not it will always appear that the pressing team are playing at a higher intensity. The pressing team is basically going man for man high up the pitch so will naturally win a lot of the ball when the opposition get it (generally as most of our passes will have to go into players facing the wrong way with an opponent bearing down on them). There was nothing wrong with our desire last night IMO. Nobody had downed tools and stopped running or constantly kept on putting themselves into stupid positions like when we lost 3-0 to Arsenal under Nuno. We simply didn't have the quality to play through Chelsea's well coached and executed press.... and that isn't surprising with the lack of quality on the ball we have in positions that are key to be able to play through a press. We only managed to play through Southampton's full press in that first half a week or so ago a couple of times so we weren't going to be able to suddenly do that against a team that has far better players than Southampton.

I don't get this. I'm fully LGBT rights paid up, went on the abolish section 28 marches etc. But rent boy isn't homophobic, it's simply a slur about prostitution. It's the same as 'your mum's a fluffy bunnies cuddling'. Both just recognise that football crowds, and most ultras, are about predominantly male.

It's actually the chanting against Brighton (the 'does your boyfriend know you're out' etc.) that I see as much more problematic.

What as the full chant? I agree rent boy is not necessarily homophobic. You could say its inclusive

I don't get this. I'm fully LGBT rights paid up, went on the abolish section 28 marches etc. But rent boy isn't homophobic, it's simply a slur about prostitution. It's the same as 'you're mum's a fluffy bunnies cuddling'. Both just recognise that football crowds, and most ultras, are about predominantly male.

That's flimflam, I am afraid. It is frequently used as a homophobic insult. I am happy to defer to Proud Lilywhites on this and let them advise on what is and isn't homophobic.

It's a disgusting chant and needs to be binned.

Back