• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Cheat$ki***

I remember Dalmat and Mido being world beaters in their first games for SPurs too.

Yes of course. But I was mortified when his transfer was mooted. It was an 'over my dead body' sort of moment. He looked a shoe in to replace 'any' of our attacking mids, last night.

He's played a back three in his first two games at Chelsea. He's been flexible on formation throughout his career though and how they line up will probably change over time.

They will try to hold possession. Which means that Mourinho will probably want to sit deep and compact and hit them on the break.

Thanks, that computes. :)

The reason I asked is of course because it is very easy to throw out a 4-2-3-1 or a 3-4-3, or even a 4-4-2 out there, and say "we should do this" or "we should do that", with no real substance behind it.
But when you factor in the opposition and their style of play it could appear madness or brilliance.

We were very good versus Emirates Marketing Project in a 4-2-3-1, where our midfield 2 were quite efficient in covering the half-spaces between sideback and centreback, the very spaces Pep loves to exploit, and more or less denied their creativity. This works because of the way their strikers play, they are a handful, but they are not that big physical presences, nor do they drop down to the same degree as Kane or Firminho.
If you apply the very same formation to Liverpools 4-3-3 with Mane, Firminho and Salah you end up with a huge physical presence (Firminho) dropping down between the two players covering your halfspaces, forcing either one of them to abandon space, a centreback to follow, or your AM to cover. Either way you allow them to overpower in an area you do not want that to happen. You want to force Salah and Mane to the outside, where they clog up the channels for Robertson and Arnold, or into the centre area where they can be choked.
Not easy, but less lethal than allowing them to roam into the halfspace between your back and centreback.
Hence why Mourinho tried the 3-4-3 versus Liverpool, or more correctly, a 3-2-2-2-1 or 5-2-2-1, depending on your outlook on life...
It obviously didn't work out as well as we'd prefer, but it could have. And it is possible to see the logic behind it.

Now, I'd of course, as any sane person in here, would much prefer us to be the driving force in the games, forcing the opposition to adjust to us, rather than trying to contain them. However, we're not in that position right now. And I for one think we wouldn't have been even if Pochettino had managed to survive until the next window, bought his load of players, and continued the "long and painful rebuild" everyone knew was coming. (it is really for a different thread, but.. I love Pochettino, and would defend him to the hilt, but something had to happen when it did. I was heartbroken, but it had to happen. I'm cautiously in favour of Mourinho, in the essence that he is our manager, we're in the middle of a rebuild, and we're doing ok-ish pointswise, rubbish playingwise lately)

We know now that the plan to link up Son with Bale didn't work, and it probably won't. There is no player who can replace Kane in every way, therefore we should change the role rather than accept a lesser version of Kane in it. If we play with Vinícius up front, he needs to be the target. I also think that can relieve Bale a bit of pressure as well, everyone expects him to cut inside and shoot. How about he (when he gets subbed on at 65 minutes and their left back is tiring and getting tender), instead focuses on making crosses and passes from out wide towards Son and Vinicius?
If Lamela is up to his usual brickhousery self, I'd stick him in the AM role, unless Dele has had a visit from the witch doctor and returns to fitness by this evening.

So if we go 4-2-3-1:

Lloris
-
Doherty
Alderweireld
Dier
Davies
-
Højbjerg
Ndombele
-
Bergwijn
Lamela
Son
-
Vinícius

Bah. I've just done the same thing as everyone else, but in a million more words, and ended up with something rubbish.. Oh well..

Haha...isn’t that the yardstick? I remember being at Rebrov’s debut against the mighty Ipswich... he looked good then too. Hitting the crossbar with a shot with the outside of his foot. Showed so much promise.
I remember that day well
Got smashed we won 3-1 or 3-0 I think
Went out back home, pulled a proper dirtbag who licked my bumhole during our one nighter
Back of the Net !!!

Has anyone done a tiny tad of an attempt to analyze Tuchel, in order to predict how they will attempt to play against us?
I must admit that the number of games I've watched with his teams is limited to the single digits.
But he is a 4-3-3-guy, is he not? High intensity press, but not full blown gegenpress?
FWIW...

I remember Dalmat and Mido being world beaters in their first games for SPurs too.

Mido’s performance against Portsmouth was one of the best debuts that I’ve seen. He was incredible.

The Palacios debut home to Arsenal was extremely impressive as well

Another, Rebrov shredding Ipswich Town.

the best for me was little Jose Dominguez absolutely tearing Derby a new one! He was unplayable that day !

Back