• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT * Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton *

Rewatch the first 10 minutes and you will see Royal up there initiating at least five runs into the channel. Surely in the first 10 mintues this is the coach's instructions.

View attachment 13949

I counted Royal making 5 runs like htat in the first 10 minutes. No one in midfield had the time to look up. But this was one of a few where Dier had time but never once looked up to try.

Improve on wingbacks? The type that can excel without supply? Heard they cost as much as a VVD these days. If we're strapped for cash I'd make do with Royal and Sess and get better CBs who can fully maximise their role in the team.

Sure looks to me like Dier looks up, but difficult to see with that GIF. Certainly did that "get the ball out of your feet" to open up the option for a long ball. If he did that without looking up at all it's laughably bad.

Don't think it's an obvious pass to make. Royal is being closely followed by the Brighton player, not like he's about to get away.

Good run by Royal, but imo that run isn't only about the possibility of getting released in behind. Frees up space on the right and Dier makes a reasonable decision to play it to Romero. If he didn't look up, look for the long ball option, the switch to the right should happen quicker.

Don't understand Contes post match comments at all. All his subs were basically like for like. He never tried to change the system ( to go more defensive) nor did he bring on more defensive orientated subs if his goal was to hang on for a point.

He seemed totally perplexed as to what to do. And therefore did the wrong thing by neither changing our system and tactics nor bringing on the right substitutes at the right time.

While the players were largely abject, I felt Conte was worse.

It's an interesting situation. Do you keep doing what you've tried to make work for months, or do you change it up to something that may (or may not) be better here and now if it works, but that you haven't been drilling the players to do?

I think Conte will err on the side of keep doing what we've been doing. Not like that's been entirely unsuccessful either. And we kept that second half a fairly close affair, one where you could reasonably expect the quality of Kane and Son to win us the game with a reasonable frequency.

I don't think he had a lot of good options to change it. Yes some speculative options, including a change of formation, but none of those are particularly proven at this point.

those passmaps don't show the problem with supply. wingbacks are best chasing the ball.

The twitter one above shows Davies having more forward passes than Dier.

Brighton's game plan was to shut down and frustrate our right side. Dier could see that but kept passing it back into the fray.

Those particular wing backs may be at their best chasing the ball. Though that says quite a lot about them in other phases of play as they're not exactly brilliant when given the chance to chase a ball either (particularly lack of end product).

As we've seen with Doherty it doesn't take world class players. It's not like they have to do it all on their own without service. Neat and tidy combination play, good movement, mostly solid touches, that will go a long way.

We may want to upgrade at CB. Upgrading our wing backs is much easier imo, and much more pressing. Again, Doherty made a massive difference. If a Doherty level player makes a big difference, it's perfectly reasonable to expect us to get an upgrade on Royal.

The centre backs that can make enough of a difference without changing the wing backs are very rare.

Let's not get too entitled here. We lost to a well-drilled Brighton team who set out to nullify us and succeeded. Compare that to the ManU game where we were beaten mostly by a couple of moments of individual brilliance...without anywhere near as much hand-wringing afterwards.

Defeats happen. Forget all this media crap about "nobody wanting 4th place" -- the truth is that us, Arsenal and ManU (and certainly West Ham) aren't consistent high-quality teams. Which is why Chelsea (who haven't been doing so great themselves) are well clear in 3rd. Brighton, Southampton, Palace, even bloody Burnley are all capable of a decent performance. Premier League, best in the world, yada yada yada.

I'm just happy that our rivals couldn't capitalise. Hopefully Conte and the players will learn something from the match. And Levy might put Potter a few places higher on his list of potential next managers.

Last edited:
Let's not get too entitled here. We lost to a well-drilled Brighton team who set out to nullify us and succeeded. Compare that to the ManU game where we were beaten mostly by a couple of moments of individual brilliance...without anywhere near as much hand-wringing afterwards.

Defeats happen. Forget all this media crap about "nobody wanting 4th place" -- the truth is that us, Arsenal and ManU (and certainly West Ham) aren't consistent high-quality teams. Which is why Chelsea (who haven't been doing so great themselves) are well clear in 3rd. Brighton, Southampton, Palace, even bloody Burnley are all capable of a decent performance. Premier League, best in the world, yada yada yada.

I'm just happy that our rivals couldn't capitalise. Hopefully Conte and the players will learn something from the match. And Levy might put Potter a few places higher on his list of potential next managers.

Best post I've seen on any site since the defeat. It is sickening losing a game like that at home but we've usually had that in us. Under Harry, we lost "stupid" games. Under Poch, except 2016-2017, we lost "stupid" games. Under other managers we did it more regularly.

I heard SKY say last night that we are 17 points behind City. And I thought, well if we'd beaten Brighton (H), Wolves (H), Southampton (H), Burnley (A) and maybe Palace (A), we'd be right in the title hunt. But you're right, we just aren't at that level that we can't expect to do that right now. It's brick but we are still very much in the box seat for 4th. Onwards and upwards.

Yep, until the first City goal. Just a pity we didn't luck one out early on.

Kane broke free in about the second minute and had a good sight of goal and completely scuffed his shot from what was a reasonably presentable chance for him under little pressure.

Couldn't help think afterwards what might have been had that gone in. Brighton would probably have had to play a different game at some stage, even if they didn't chase immediately. There's always ifs and buts though...

Kane broke free in about the second minute and had a good sight of goal and completely scuffed his shot from what was a reasonably presentable chance for him under little pressure.

Couldn't help think afterwards what might have been had that gone in. Brighton would probably have had to play a different game at some stage, even if they didn't chase immediately. There's always ifs and buts though...

Thought he should have laid off son.

Back