• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa FC ***

The issue today was son
The football for his first offside goal was sublime
He really didn’t need to be offide
The second one was Brennan who was off
And the third one was instinct to put it away
The composure was lacking from him IMO, not the others

Don't agree, the issue was we were taking an extra touch before playing it in.
The second goal, Peh has the whole pitch in front of him and son to run into, son starts his run, Peh takes a touch, son is offside, Peh plays the ball.
Itself acceptable for glc, Bentancur and Gil (just) because this is their first games, but by now Peh should know better than that.

Disappointed with the result. Not because I expected much more either before the game or when Bentancur went off. Disappointed because I thought the players deserved more and gave a good account of themselves.

This isn’t me having a go at PEH, he’s decent at what he does, but the difference between him and Bentancur was night and day. Bentancur takes the ball on the half turn and moves us up the pitch whereas time and again PEH would lay it back off to the defence. Thought Gil was almost brilliant but actually quite poor as everything he did almost came off but ultimately failed.

GLC was MOTM for me. Thought he was brilliant and found passes in extremely tight spaces.

We just can’t sustain that many absentees but I think we’re fooling ourselves if we think Ange can make us competitive with the biggest boys. No real blame on him today but we’ve lost three games in which we’ve led and he will play one way and one way only. That’s good enough for me, I absolutely think we should back him in a big way because today was a great watch again. He finishes top 6 and threatens top 4 over the next few years and he’s been successful. But he’ll be more BMJ than Poch, Burkinshaw or Bill Nic.

I thought similar, but having seen what we can do with this group of players I really don't think we are that far away.
To lose three of the four who have bossed the midfield and possibly the best cb pairing in the league and still play the football we do is mighty impressive.
CB cover is priority over the next two windows.

Don't agree, the issue was we were taking an extra touch before playing it in.
The second goal, Peh has the whole pitch in front of him and son to run into, son starts his run, Peh takes a touch, son is offside, Peh plays the ball.
Itself acceptable for glc, Bentancur and Gil (just) because this is their first games, but by now Peh should know better than that.
You mean the first one right?
Couldn’t see what you’re saying in the ground TBH

From my end it like like son bent his run but timed it wrong

Shame as it was a brilliant goal

Second one was from Brennans pass and third was off Porros shot on the post

Last edited:
There has been definite progress when it comes to our style, for sure - little when it comes to our mentality though, unfortunately. Still too many knocking around who are mentally weak and that’s never going to change for them. We won’t see real progress until they are shifted on.

As for Gil, who is getting plaudits here from some, he did just about okay (although personally I thought he looked most threatening when he was dribbling towards our goal, something he seemed to do endlessly in the first half); but he has made extremely limited progress in the long time that he’s been on our books. He is not built for the PL. Another who needs shifting as soon as possible.

He's also not been in the PL long either, pointless buying someone and loaning them back to a different league. With time training with us and game time he'd improve. Personally I like his style, yes he's lightweight but plenty of people have succeeded that are or have put on muscle to compensate. He looks threatening and can pick a pass. Most of our attacking players use pace to get past people or make something happen, he offers an alternative.

The one on Porro was equally as bad.. but he took the ball then the man. Changed Porros game for sure
He did take him out
They also did plenty on Kulu
Also the elbow on Gil is clear
And first half when they had a corner McGinn was pulling Vicario. When he got warned he swapped with Konsa to do the same thing
The Porro one just looked like a 50-50 that the Villa player won to me. There was one bad foul in the game, to me that is nothing like a team trying to ‘kick the other out of the game’ IMO.

I don't get the criticism of Gil, thought he had a good game, especially considering how little he's played for us this season. He looked lively and always wanting to create, although it didn't all come off.
I thought his final product was really poor, in terms of execution and taking the wrong option.

The Porro one just looked like a 50-50 that the Villa player won to me. There was one bad foul in the game, to me that is nothing like a team trying to ‘kick the other out of the game’ IMO.
They fouled us a lot
They passed the around
IMO of course
They had no match for the passing and ball retention so just got aggressive.
The elbow on Gil was clear as daylight

The one on Porro was equally as bad.. but he took the ball then the man. Changed Porros game for sure
He did take him out
They also did plenty on Kulu
Also the elbow on Gil is clear
And first half when they had a corner McGinn was pulling Vicario. When he got warned he swapped with Konsa to do the same thing

If the one on Porro was taking the ball and then Porro he should have been sent off if it was anything like the Romero challenge v Chelsea. And otherwise shown a second booking and sent off if it was similar but to a lesser extent.

If the one on Porro was taking the ball and then Porro he should have been sent off if it was anything like the Romero challenge v Chelsea. And otherwise shown a second booking and sent off if it was similar but to a lesser extent.
I agree
I haven’t seen it back though to comment
To me he cleaned the man out after the ball

Son didn't miss it, he pulled out because he thought he could collide with the gk.
He shouldn't pull out and should take take the collision, it's why he isn't a CF. Richy, while not as good a player as Son, would have gone in 100% and taken the collision. We need to sort out the CF position and get Son back to the left wing.

Doesn't matter how well we played. We lost! Meanwhile, united have deserved about 5 points in total, and are now 2 points off us.
It does matter how we played. Ange has shown he can get fringe players to come in and play his system and tear apart a top four candidate even though we are down to the bare bones of the squad. Compare that to what we would have seen under the last three managers under the same situation with injuries.

Exactly. PEH doesn't fit the style but GLC fits in nicely even if as a backup
Agree. For me Skipp, PEH and Dier do not suit the system. It's why none of them started. Ange noticed this from the Wolves game. They play in a way that slows us down, changes are team pattern age disrupts our system. I can see them all going.

GLC works. He should be retained for sure..

If we don’t get back in soon, we might never get in again.
I hate to compare to that lot down the road, but they had a couple of seasons replacing the squad and now they competing at the top. Takes awhile to build the team and the play style, our 1st 11 is as good as anyone’s but the rest will take time. If years of negative football taught anything it’s patience, build the squad so we can compete and don’t panic when we have dips and troughs, enjoy the ride.

Back