• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT *** Spurs vs Bin Dippers ***

First half was quite even until we sat back and switched off at the end. We were creating the best chances, with Son through at least 3 times.

Mourinho's subs were dreadful. He did need to make change as Mane was not being dealt with by Aurier. But would have been off ask Aurier to ensure he's aware of tracking his darting runs, and putting on Bale for Doherty.

Too many changes in a game we were always going to have to fight to win. Pool coming off a defeat to united were always going to be better than they have been. Hate the way we help teams out by giving them possession. Have to not cede possession, and make passes stick.
Aurier really wasn’t a sub he needed to make IMO unless there was another issue
Seemed an odd call to me as Doherty looks broken and is not the player that I’ve seen do us damage amongst other teams
But the midfield was gettin over run as that half went on and surely that was the area to make the change in... instead we changed it with winks (and I defend him) who was awful abs Lamela who was worse
And the team deteriorated (not because of the subs)

By the way, this is mostly if not all on Mourinho. Most managers would wet themselves over having our squad, and several of them would be able to put together something resembling a football team from it. We had a very brief spell where we played well, though it quickly regressed to the mean. But you simply cannot blame the players or individual mistakes when we need to bring out our full attack force to overcome the mighty Wycombe Wanderers. And if it's the players not performing, it's the managers job to kick them up the arse or out of the team. So no way Jose. This is on you.

Winning or losing the league cup final is irrelevant and just shows the desperation of Spurs fans to win any trophy. The League is there for the taking this year, winning the carabao cup will not paper over that crack.

Couldn’t agree more. League Cup on its own won’t be a good season. He needs top 4 at a minimum. That we aren’t in the title race now reflects badly on the manager.

Jose talking about mistakes now. That’s hiding by him. Yes there were terrible mistakes but we always looked like conceding and never looked like scoring. That’s his fault.

By the way, this is mostly if not all on Mourinho. Most managers would wet themselves over having our squad, and several of them would be able to put together something resembling a football team from it. We had a very brief spell where we played well, though it quickly regressed to the mean. But you simply cannot blame the players or individual mistakes when we need to bring out our full attack force to overcome the mighty Wycombe Wanderers. And if it's the players not performing, it's the managers job to kick them up the arse or out of the team. So no way Jose. This is on you.
The old squad myth...
This squad is massively over rated from how good they were under peak Poch
The attacking force you talk about didn’t make those errors to concede today did they?

By the way, this is mostly if not all on Mourinho. Most managers would wet themselves over having our squad, and several of them would be able to put together something resembling a football team from it. We had a very brief spell where we played well, though it quickly regressed to the mean. But you simply cannot blame the players or individual mistakes when we need to bring out our full attack force to overcome the mighty Wycombe Wanderers. And if it's the players not performing, it's the managers job to kick them up the arse or out of the team. So no Jose. This is on you.
Yep. Contrast it with Liverpool, who have a well-coached system. No fit centre backs? No problem. Short of midfielders? Stick one of the youth players in there.

I am just...surprised. I expected Mourinho, of all people, to be well on top of the coaching -- the opposite of ol' Harry and his FRAAB. Maybe too many of our key players haven't got that game intelligence in them.

I just don't know. I'm too disappointed to make any sense tonight.

Don’t forget a huge chunk of these players got Poch the sack

Yeah, true, but we're seeing too little from Mourinho for me. Nothing has really changed. We're not even semi-solid at the back anymore. Today was a complete catastrophe. We could've conceded 5 easily. There's just no progression. If we could say - yeah, we need a player like this, and a player like this, and we'd be good. But we need a whole host of players - and whenever you feel you need a host of players - maybe it's not the players, but the coaches? Sure, Winks and Lamela are deadbeat, but even then, so many players undwrperforming in a non-existent system.

He wants to be a central defender he should go to west brom because that is his level.

WBA would be kind to him. He’s awful. The defending for the first goal..amateur level. Flat footed. Stands there and doesn’t defend. He should be facing the cross, not the goal, and then making sure he gets in the path of the ball, stopping it from getting to the striker. Instead he just watches as Firmino scores. I think his defending is akin to that he produced when he ran off the pitch that time to use the toilet.

I didn’t know
I just assumed watching it real time
It’s just poor poor defending
There isn’t an excuse it’s not new
We have been doing it now for 3 years
The one thing I will say is that he is taking his line from Rodon.... unlike Davies who was 5 yards behind Dier for no particular reason.

Winning or losing the league cup final is irrelevant and just shows the desperation of Spurs fans to win any trophy. The League is there for the taking this year, winning the carabao cup will not paper over that crack.
Well yeah we haven’t won a trophy for donkeys years, so too right we should be desperate to win any trophy:D

Not sure the league was/is there for the taking, Emirates Marketing Project are far superior to us, Liverpool like it or not are a better side than us and neither of them could just go on their usual ten game winning runs during this strange season just like no other rival team has been good enough to - we dont have superior resources to any other club so I don’t see how exactly the league was there for us to take. No one thought we was good enough to challenge for it at the start, just because City started slow and other rival clubs have been having fluctuations in form doesn’t equate to us being special enough to take the league all of a sudden.....

We should have won the game at their digs, but we absolutely deserved nothing in this one. xG 0.11 - 2.31.

You have to give it to them, they play nice simple football with good movement and their passes find their man. We can't string two passes together in the final third to save our lives. And it's not like we don't have the quality. We're not fluid at all.

We will lose the likes of Kane, Son and Ndombele if we continue as we are. Why would they want to stick around and play with the rest of the squad when they could be elsewhere winning?

That’s a risk. Harry and Sonny particularly can’t hang around if they want trophies. They can’t be enjoying how we’re playing much either.

Yep. Contrast it with Liverpool, who have a well-coached system. No fit centre backs? No problem. Short of midfielders? Stick one of the youth players in there.

I am just...surprised. I expected Mourinho, of all people, to be well on top of the coaching -- the opposite of ol' Harry and his FRAAB. Maybe too many of our key players haven't got that game intelligence in them.

I just don't know. I'm too disappointed to make any sense tonight.
That took pool a long time to get there don’t forget
Pretty much like we did under Poch

Yeah, true, but we're seeing too little from Mourinho for me. Nothing has really changed. We're not even semi-solid at the back anymore. Today was a complete catastrophe. We could've conceded 5 easily. There's just no progression. If we could say - yeah, we need a player like this, and a player like this, and we'd be good. But we need a whole host of players - and whenever you feel you need a host of players - maybe it's not the players, but the coaches?
It's a mixture of both things. With Poch we had a system manager who maximised the quality of the players he had available but those players weren't all necesairly top class (they weren't).

As the key components of that system fell away through age and wear and year the effectiveness of that system finished as Poch was either incapable or unable to replenish the players for the system.

Now we have a group of players who could no longer match the systems requirements with a different coach who is less of a set system guy but still has his own set of strict demands.

The group doesn't quite match Mourinho's needs either, so slowly he will move players out assuming he lasts that long but we are really stuck between two camps.

The main takeaway is we massively over performed under Poch and did not consolidate that level of performance and so we have naturally dropped away. The plus side is I really don't think we are a million miles away. I'll give Mou credit for righting the ship to an extent but he needs to make some critical decisions and so far he's been very hit and miss on that regard.

He needs to gut the squad of the dead wood in the summer. That should be his number one priority.

The old squad myth...
This squad is massively over rated from how good they were under peak Poch
The attacking force you talk about didn’t make those errors to concede today did they?
No, but then again it's not very common that the attackers are guilty of conceding goals. But it's not only today, we're looking disinterested as a team. Isn't Jose supposed to be one of the world's best tacticians? Has he looked anything like that to you during his spell here? Does the world's best tactician need the world's best squad as well to play football?

Back