• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Palace***

That’s the point he’s making though, plenty of teams spend a shedload and don’t achieve what they should according to what they have spent. You don’t just spend hundreds of millions in the PL and then just sit back and watch them win week after week, the PL is waaay too competitive for that. It’s not just the games he’s winning, it’s the style of football he’s got them playing.....

Spot on.

With the highest wage bill, yes. With the most expensive squad in terms of purchase price, not necessarily. With the most expensive squad in terms of current player valuation, again yes (there is a reason why they are valued so highly, which is tied to the team's performance).

Their squad is the most expensive assembled in the world now

But that team value can’t have increased off the back off 15 games can it

Don’t forget it’s abteam that finished below us in the last 2 seasons

So the only factor that can bump up their value is the money the have spent on players (unless the CIES model works on such a short term view)

That’s the point he’s making though, plenty of teams spend a shedload and don’t achieve what they should according to what they have spent. You don’t just spend hundreds of millions in the PL and then just sit back and watch them win week after week, the PL is waaay too competitive for that. It’s not just the games he’s winning, it’s the style of football he’s got them playing.....

But he hasn’t just spent big money he has spent mega money
More money over 2 season than they actually turnover .... more money this summer than our whole squad cost I think and he only brought 4 players IIRC
And the most money spent nearly always equate to the team that wins the league ... shock horror the team that has spent the most looks the most likely to win it now

Great team to watch but it helps when you buy the best available attacking players

Imagine if he had got Bony playing well ... now that would have been impressive

Yeah agreed; until he takes an average player and makes them play to a level no-one thought possible he will always be a chequebook manager that is the easier on the eye version of Jose.

But he hasn’t just spent big money he has spent mega money
More money over 2 season than they actually turnover .... more money this summer than our whole squad cost I think and he only brought 4 players IIRC
And the most money spent nearly always equate to the team that wins the league ... shock horror the team that has spent the most looks the most likely to win it now
Actually, it doesn't. The data shows that the highest wages nearly always equate to winning the league. The highest transfer spend does so only about 20% of the time. But I get your point.

City are not the only team to spend that way, yet at the end of the season only one of them will win the CL, the competency of an action cannot be judged solely on its result.

Actually, it doesn't. The data shows that the highest wages nearly always equate to winning the league. The highest transfer spend does so only about 20% of the time. But I get your point.

I’d love to see that plotted out

I’m guessing that net spend may be the number you mean but I’d love to see that data

I don't have it handy where I can post, but look at the beginning of chapter 2 of the book Soccernomics.

Can’t say I’ve read or heard of it but PSG ha e won the French league 3/4 of the last seasons

Chelsea last year and two years before after BIG spending

Juventus normally spend the most and so do Bayern in their countries too

Can’t say I’ve read or heard of it but PSG ha e won the French league 3/4 of the last seasons

Chelsea last year and two years before after BIG spending

Juventus normally spend the most and so do Bayern in their countries too
And Everton are crap, as is Milan. And Lollerpool for many years and let's not forget City for several years after they got bought. It's the salaries that make the difference, not the spending. Which makes what we are achieving even greater. It's amazing where we're at, not because we have practically zero net spend, but because our salaries are so low.

And Everton are crap, as is Milan. And Lollerpool for many years and let's not forget City for several years after they got bought. It's the salaries that make the difference, not the spending. Which makes what we are achieving even greater. It's amazing where we're at, not because we have practically zero net spend, but because our salaries are so low.

But Milan are only just spending again

Pool are reasonable on breaks even point and Everton would be too on net spend (most of the summer money was Lukakus fee)

City when they got brought spent big money on transfer fees don’t forget ... Brazilian lad was a record IIRC and there were plenty of others

But Milan are only just spending again

Pool are reasonable on breaks even point and Everton would be too on net spend (most of the summer money was Lukakus fee)

City when they got brought spent big money on transfer fees don’t forget ... Brazilian lad was a record IIRC and there were plenty of others
All I'm saying is that transfer spend doesn't have as direct a correlation with winning titles as people may think. And this is based on collecting data to that effect. I'm just outlining analysis that has been done, not opinion.

All I'm saying is that transfer spend doesn't have as direct a correlation with winning titles as people may think. And this is based on collecting data to that effect. I'm just outlining analysis that has been done, not opinion.
I would be surprised if transfer spend doesn't have a direct correlation with results and titles. After all there's a correlation between net spend and wages, isn't there? I think a club's budget is the underlying factor, not wages.

I just think transfer spend is harder to study. Often fees are kept secret, various clauses and payments over time are close to impossible to know of. Wages seem easier.

Wouldn't be convinced unless I saw a good study showing that there is no direct correlation. The absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

looking at a wage budget gives you a more rounded view of the squad as a whole than transfer budgets as they take in all the players in the squad, put together over a number of years, rather than a select small group of players bought in during one window.

We have had a net spend of zero, Or thereabouts, for the last few years and the 6th highest wage budget - which one of those gives a more accurate indicator of our aims for the season(s) ahead?

Back