• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Palace***

Honestly... I don’t think Pep is doing much that anyone else wouldn’t do
Buy the best available players that you can and pack the squad with players of a similar high level

If he can get a solid defence in there whilst scoring like they are of be impressed but their defence is still suspect IMO
He's spent money, obviously. But so has Chelsea, City and United done for years. In a bit over a year looking special even compared to some of the best versions of those teams in the past.

It's not like he's going out signing the best or most expensive players either. His most expensive signings have been around £50m. Obviously that's a lot of money, but it's only around a quarter of the Neymar transfer record and significantly less than United spent on Pogba and Lukaku.

And he's doing it signing primarily younger players that will probably continue to get better. In about a year he competed the generational shift City had been putting off for years.

And he's done it seemingly building a team capable of doing really well in the league and CL. Something that has been problematic for English teams for years.

He's spent money, obviously. But so has Chelsea, City and United done for years. In a bit over a year looking special even compared to some of the best versions of those teams in thýe past.

It's not like he's going out signing the best or most expensive players either. His most expensive signings have been around £50m. Obviously that's a lot of money, but it's only around a quarter of the Neymar transfer record and significantly less than United spent on Pogba and Lukaku.

And he's doing it signing primarily younger players that will probably continue to get better. In about a year he competed the generational shift City had been putting off for years.

And he's done it seemingly building a team capable of doing really well in the league and CL. Something that has been problematic for English teams for years.

Fbs are cheaper than front men so that's a bad comparison. Did he not just break the transfer record for fbs twice, walker and mendy?
And was stones not a record for a cb?

He's spent money, obviously. But so has Chelsea, City and United done for years. In a bit over a year looking special even compared to some of the best versions of those teams in the past.

He has broken records for defenders and keepers and also for young players ... Sane is the world most expensive teenager I believe.

I’d guess that the average cost of their first 11 would be around £40m. That’s more than we have paid for anyone and more than united have paid for everyone bar two players

As I said, if he had brought one player through and made them better then I’d say ok

And I agree with your comments about other clubs spending money. chelsea won the league last year but spent over £120m to add to a squad that had won the league a year earlier

United have spent more than ever but are IMO about where near to winning the league but have won trophies

Fbs are cheaper than front men so that's a bad comparison. Did he not just break the transfer record for fbs twice, walker and mendy?
And was stones not a record for a cb?
He has signed front men and midfielders too.

Yes he spent a lot on full backs and Stones.

Part of the spending has to be explained by City's aging squad and the need to sign home grown players in a team that has had a severe player development problem.

To succeed in that environment, with the time limits he has on him (people were calling him Fraudiola less than a season in), with the deficits in that squad took money.

He has broken records for defenders and keepers and also for young players ... Sane is the world most expensive teenager I believe.

I’d guess that the average cost of their first 11 would be around £40m. That’s more than we have paid for anyone and more than united have paid for everyone bar two players

As I said, if he had brought one player through and made them better then I’d say ok

And I agree with your comments about other clubs spending money. chelsea won the league last year but spent over £120m to add to a squad that had won the league a year earlier

United have spent more than ever but are IMO about where near to winning the league but have won trophies

Part of the comparison to others has to include the massive transfer inflation over recent years. £30m signings 4-5 years ago are comparable to £50m signings now.

He's been able to rely on 4-5 players that were already there. He's pretty much had to build a new squad other than that handful of players. Because the transfer work over seasons had been poor at City and their squad was old and injury prone. He's built a squad capable of competing in the PL and CL and that looks capable of pushing on to join Europe's elite.

He's spent a lot of money to achieve that. Comparable to what other big name managers have spent before. He seems likely to succeed quicker and beyond what just about anyone has before spending that kind of money.

He has signed front men and midfielders too.

Yes he spent a lot on full backs and Stones.

Part of the spending has to be explained by City's aging squad and the need to sign home grown players in a team that has had a severe player development problem.

To succeed in that environment, with the time limits he has on him (people were calling him Fraudiola less than a season in), with the deficits in that squad took money.

Part of the comparison to others has to include the massive transfer inflation over recent years. £30m signings 4-5 years ago are comparable to £50m signings now.

He's been able to rely on 4-5 players that were already there. He's pretty much had to build a new squad other than that handful of players. Because the transfer work over seasons had been poor at City and their squad was old and injury prone. He's built a squad capable of competing in the PL and CL and that looks capable of pushing on to join Europe's elite.

He's spent a lot of money to achieve that. Comparable to what other big name managers have spent before. He seems likely to succeed quicker and beyond what just about anyone has before spending that kind of money.

He is achieving things quicker as he has spent more than ever and has got away with winning nothing for a year despite spending mega money... they have spent the most of any side ever still in the world I believe (happy to be corrected)

And they were paying £50M for sterling and stones before the crazy fees kicked in

The average cost of a player in there team is crazy and its easy to make a top side their way

You hit the tickle my balls with a feather though with the comment about player development... they dont develop players anymore even though they had the talent

He is achieving things quicker as he has spent more than ever and has got away with winning nothing for a year despite spending mega money... they have spent the most of any side ever still in the world I believe (happy to be corrected)

And they were paying £50M for sterling and stones before the crazy fees kicked in

The average cost of a player in there team is crazy and its easy to make a top side their way

You hit the tickle my balls with a feather though with the comment about player development... they dont develop players anymore even though they had the talent
They're not spending more than the other mega rich clubs (including City) have spent in the past if you adjust for football inflation. In fact several of their deals look great value.

He seems to be succeeding at a higher level than other managers in similar circumstances.

I think very few, if any, managers in the world could replicate what he's doing at City.

Yes because any manager there doesn't have the time to develop such talent - pretty much the same applies to Chelsea and Man Utd.

Its all well and good praising Poch to the hills, and rightly so but he doesnt have the same pressures and expectations. Poch hasn't won anything in 3 or 4 years here and is nowhere near the sack - if that happened at any of Chelsea,City or Man U they'd be long gone. Pep is a fantastic coach regardless of what he spends,just the way it is for the European elite these days....

They're not spending more than the other mega rich clubs (including City) have spent in the past if you adjust for football inflation. In fact several of their deals look great value.

He seems to be succeeding at a higher level than other managers in similar circumstances.

I think very few, if any, managers in the world could replicate what he's doing at City.

Sorry but even Madrid aren't spending that kind of money...

PSG have done something crazy with one player and will do with MBappe but no one else is in that extreme as far as I can see

Who else has been in similar circumstances?

Sorry but even Madrid aren't spending that kind of money...

PSG have done something crazy with one player and will do with MBappe but no one else is in that extreme as far as I can see

Who else has been in similar circumstances?
Again... adjusted for football inflation.

Using the world transfer record fee as a quick and dirty back of the envelope benchmark for football inflation. City have a total net spend of around 1.5 times the world record fee over the last two seasons combined. That's comparable to a lot of other teams, including City themselves, in the past.

Again... adjusted for football inflation.

Using the world transfer record fee as a quick and dirty back of the envelope benchmark for football inflation. City have a total net spend of around 1.5 times the world record fee over the last two seasons combined. That's comparable to a lot of other teams, including City themselves, in the past.

That’s not really a term of reference IMO as it’s a one off scewed number

What would be better I’d suggest is how they fare against the top 20 transfers ever

And net spend gain gets scewed by the actual looses against those transfers e.g navas went on a free, nasti went on a free, bony went for less than half they paid

People use net spend to highlight Klopp nunbers forgetting they sold Bentele at a loss after one season

That’s not really a term of reference IMO as it’s a one off scewed number

What would be better I’d suggest is how they fare against the top 20 transfers ever

And net spend gain gets scewed by the actual looses against those transfers e.g navas went on a free, nasti went on a free, bony went for less than half they paid

People use net spend to highlight Klopp nunbers forgetting they sold Bentele at a loss after one season

It's a one off arguing skewed number, but one that's definitely related to the inflation in transfer fees. I don't think it's controversial to say that what City has spent under Pep is comparable to what the big clubs have been doing for some time now, when adjusted for the transfer inflation. Not sure how you suggest comparing what they're doing to the top 20 transfers ever.

Net spend isn't perfect, but it gives a decent indication. Actually I think it makes Pep look a bit worse than he is. City had a old and injury prone squad, very few players to sell for decent money compared to some other teams with a lower net spend.

Over time net spend does show buying someone for a lot of money and them leaving on a free.

It's a one off arguing skewed number, but one that's definitely related to the inflation in transfer fees. I don't think it's controversial to say that what City has spent under Pep is comparable to what the big clubs have been doing for some time now, when adjusted for the transfer inflation. Not sure how you suggest comparing what they're doing to the top 20 transfers ever.

Net spend isn't perfect, but it gives a decent indication. Actually I think it makes Pep look a bit worse than he is. City had a old and injury prone squad, very few players to sell for decent money compared to some other teams with a lower net spend.

Over time net spend does show buying someone for a lot of money and them leaving on a free.

Not when it’s taken under one manager and not balanced... hence why I use the Klopp example of selling benteke at a loss and being in credit

When the record transfer is a fudged number to meet a buy out clause with a fixed downs form another club actually acting just like City I think it scews everything

They have the most expensive squad in world football don’t they??

There is a reason Pep earns what he does but I had to laugh at a piece over the weekend praising him for not relying on big money signings as he’s improved players he inherited like Sterling and Fernandinho, who of course cost nothing.

Chicken feed at 50 and 36 M respectively

Not when it’s taken under one manager and not balanced... hence why I use the Klopp example of selling benteke at a loss and being in credit

When the record transfer is a fudged number to meet a buy out clause with a fixed downs form another club actually acting just like City I think it scews everything

They have the most expensive squad in world football don’t they??
And we have the second most expensive, according to CIES. But what they pay for players is not always indicative of the quality they get. So for them to have paid out so much and also have the most expensive squad in terms of current player valuation (not what they bought them for) shows that Pep is paying big money for players that are worth that big money, which in itself is admirable.

And we have the second most expensive, according to CIES. But what they pay for players is not always indicative of the quality they get. So for them to have paid out so much and also have the most expensive squad in terms of current player valuation (not what they bought them for) shows that Pep is paying big money for players that are worth that big money, which in itself is admirable.

Sorry your saying that paying out the most and having the highest value according to some random bulls1t organisation is admirable?

They also now have the highest wage bill in world Football to match

Sorry your saying that paying out the most and having the highest value according to some random bulls1t organisation is admirable?

They also now have the highest wage bill in world Football to match
Yes, because a lot of managers pay out a ton of money for players that aren't worth it and whose value declines. I'm not saying he's exceptional, but he hasn't overpaid for what he has, which a lot of teams do.

Yes, because a lot of managers pay out a ton of money for players that aren't worth it and whose value declines. I'm not saying he's exceptional, but he hasn't overpaid for what he has, which a lot of teams do.

Well he has had to sell on some of the signings he made last year like Nolito and he and also sold players at a loss so their values have declined but that isn’t all ncessarily his fault

What I would say is with the most expensive squad in world football and the highest wage bill you should be doing well

Well he has had to sell on some of the signings he made last year like Nolito and he and also sold players at a loss so their values have declined but that isn’t all ncessarily his fault

What I would say is with the most expensive squad in world football and the highest wage bill you should be doing well
That’s the point he’s making though, plenty of teams spend a shedload and don’t achieve what they should according to what they have spent. You don’t just spend hundreds of millions in the PL and then just sit back and watch them win week after week, the PL is waaay too competitive for that. It’s not just the games he’s winning, it’s the style of football he’s got them playing.....

With the highest wage bill, yes. With the most expensive squad in terms of purchase price, not necessarily. With the most expensive squad in terms of current player valuation, again yes (there is a reason why they are valued so highly, which is tied to the team's performance).

Back