• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Brighton & Hove Albion

The Liverpool lad is a couple of years older. The Everton lad played nearly 30 games for PSV.

They also haven’t thrown those lads in next to a full back without a proper DM in front of them.

We may have played Phillips tonight and still only conceded 4. But imagine he has the sort of evening that Nathan Collins had last night - he’d be destroyed. I’m not against the lad having minutes - I just wouldn’t do it in circumstances like tonight.
Whose Pools DM? It’s the Japanese lad who isnt great. Certainly no better than our options
They are playing a CB at left back by the way

That’s the key
that’s what makes all the difference
Gary Mabbutt said that when I went to a q&a with him
he wasn’t signed to start
he started due to injuries and never stopped
fans didn’t know who he was

it's a different sport now

this is prime time, every second of every game is life or death

easier, less tactical knowledge required, slower opposition, less skilful opposition

his job would have been to kick anything in red
It is always difficult comparing eras, but I am not talking about the 1920s! Miller's debut was in 1979. Less skilful you say? Brady for Arsenal and Hoddle and Ardiles for Spurs might beg to differ. The game may be quicker and the player's fitter, but I doubt it was easier. And more recently, Ledley King's debut was at 18. As was Sol Campbell's (spit). Both Alderweireld and Vertonghen debuted for Ajax at 19. Ultimately, if a player is good enough they are old enough --- Udogie is starting and he only just turned 21. Van de Ven is hardly a seasoned pro at 22.

Moreover, the point is that we are dealing with a situation where we are choosing to play an unsuited full back as a central defender and, as an experiment, it has failed three times. Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results.....

I dont believe Royal was the issue tonight. I need to state that again
For me it was the experienced attackers failing in their roles
son has been really poor since Saudi Sportswashing Machine, his first touch has been horrendous and he falls over at every challenge
not picking his man for their first goal was basic
kulu gave the pen away with sheer stupidity. That’s really not good for a senior player
That’s game over at that point. The argument will be that we havent had alternatives to bring in but veliz has not been used much at all even when we were 4 up vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine for example. Same with donley
why wasnt Dorrington brought in on that game…

I get Ange is in his early days but it’s a huge worry for Me. He hasnt got a rep for bringing though youngsters and right now we have an outstanding crop that are doing everything they can

we will sign more players pushing them further back in the pecking order too
You *think* we have an outstanding crop. Until they play professional games and prove themselves in first team football they are just potential.

Just watching replay, and Son is so totally unaware and ball-watching for their first goal. He barely moves during the whole attack and leaves Udogie with two to deal with. Yes it should never have got to the stage where the ball could be played across, but if he just runs back a few more yards, the space for that pass isn't there.

start of attack.jpg

end of attack.jpg

It is always difficult comparing eras, but I am not talking about the 1920s! Miller's debut was in 1979. Less skilful you say? Brady for Arsenal and Hoddle and Ardiles for Spurs might beg to differ. The game may be quicker and the player's fitter, but I doubt it was easier. And more recently, Ledley King's debut was at 18. As was Sol Campbell's (spit). Both Alderweireld and Vertonghen debuted for Ajax at 19. Ultimately, if a player is good enough they are old enough --- Udogie is starting and he only just turned 21. Van de Ven is hardly a seasoned pro at 22.

Moreover, the point is that we are dealing with a situation where we are choosing to play an unsuited full back as a central defender and, as an experiment, it has failed three times. Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results.....
Maybe they aren’t good enough yet. Very few of us have seen these lads play. Ange has seen them every day in training. You have to trust his judgement on it.

Oliver Skipp was Norwich’s best player in the Championship. Got in the team of the season. Very few on here would ideally have Skipp in their team and he’s taken quite a bit of stick on here recently. Phillips hasn’t achieved a fraction of what Skipp achieved - he’s only played 8 Championship games.

A year to two years ago, there was a massive clamour to get Djed Spence in the team amongst the fan base. I haven’t heard his name mentioned since he went out on loan.

Whenever a team does badly, there are always calls to put the kids in as sure as night follows day.

Just watching replay, and Son is so totally unaware and ball-watching for their first goal. He barely moves during the whole attack and leaves Udogie with two to deal with. Yes it should never have got to the stage where the ball could be played across, but if he just runs back a few more yards, the space for that pass isn't there.

View attachment 16515

View attachment 16516
That’s damning but you watch it in real time and it looks like him and Deki are just waiting for the break. Doesn’t make it any better but if that’s the tactic, as another poster suggested, it’s mind boggling. If it’s not, Sonny deserves a kick in the hole.

I don't think it is difficult to compare era's as physical fitness always wins out, athleticism is important in athletics. The late 70's and early 80's was still a far more physical and lower intelligence game than we have now, more industrial too with the average quality of playing surface at the time.

I agree that some players are ready to go at that age, you've picked out 4 exceptional CB's there though, that clubs were excited about, and waiting to get into the first team, for years. My knowledge of our youth system is limited, but I don't recall the same hype about the current crop.

I think we should try something different too, but I'm not sure these guys are the answer.

I've never seen him walk and jog about so much. Gotta be unfit, again
He put in a huge shift against Everton and Ange alluded that some of the players were very tired and fatigued after the game. We are playing the same players every few days due to the injury crisis.

Last edited:
Whose Pools DM? It’s the Japanese lad who isnt great. Certainly no better than our options
They are playing a CB at left back by the way
Not having that Endo's not great. Really good signing for them. Nothing fancy but you won't find a Liverpool fan with a bad word to say about him.

We don't need Estupinian to be appearing today. Not good news
I thought the same. I thought after a few months out he wouldn't get on , or if he did it would be for 10 minutes.
I think De zerbi brought him on to get tight to Johnson , he did. Just our luck he scored a once a season wonder goal but then again , he had the freedom of the park. Didn't see Johnson tracking back and getting tight on him. Hmm

Back