• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Olympians versus footballers

It was telling on saturday evening, after watching three golds in 45 mins we switched to the football where promptly a penalty was missed and we failed again. Do not tell me it was pressure after watching Jessica Ennis destroy the field. No one was under more pressure than her to win. It comes down to desire. She wanted it and Sturridge ultimately didn't want it enough.

Because Sturridge will still get his weekly paycheck of more than any of us make in a year, while for Ennis it was the culmination of years of hard work, a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Could this to be to do with the "college draft" system? I know that's how it works with those two leagues you mentioned, is that the system in the MLS as well? If you take the American players in the PL, they've always come across quite likeable and balanced - Keller, Friedel, Howard, Dempsey, McBride IMO fit into this category.

Is this because these players have had to go through education to a relatively high level, played college sports and developed (as a player and as a person) in a university environment with many other young adults, most of whom aren't going to become super rich? I know that football is the "working man's game" so introducing such a system would never be accepted, but could it be the difference?

I think this has a role. I was complaining about the college system a bit the other day (just that I find it weird that young kids are worshipped so greatly), but someone pointed out that it's a lot better that they at least get an education at the same time. Made sense to me.

Could this to be to do with the "college draft" system? I know that's how it works with those two leagues you mentioned, is that the system in the MLS as well? If you take the American players in the PL, they've always come across quite likeable and balanced - Keller, Friedel, Howard, Dempsey, McBride IMO fit into this category.

Is this because these players have had to go through education to a relatively high level, played college sports and developed (as a player and as a person) in a university environment with many other young adults, most of whom aren't going to become super rich? I know that football is the "working man's game" so introducing such a system would never be accepted, but could it be the difference?

Its a good point and could be part of the answer.

However, you have to realise that for some of the major american football and basketball programs the education is my favourite buttplug. Student athletes get tutored extensively through high school and in college and the required grades are minimal, sometimes embarrassingly so. Its not unknown (although strictly forbidden) for the tutors to take the exams for them. Graduation rates for students can be extremely low. I remember a study in the 90s showing that the successful Oklahoma basketball program didn't graduate a single black athlete for ten years.

These student athletes aren't getting an education, although the soccer players are more likely to be genuine college types. However, as you say, all the student athletes are exposed to the University environment so that could make a difference and help them grow up.

P.S. Baseball doesn't use college systematically and have a minor league system instead. Baseball players strike me as closer to footballers, which supports the idea that its the university environment that makes the difference.

Last edited:
I think this has a role. I was complaining about the college system a bit the other day (just that I find it weird that young kids are worshipped so greatly), but someone pointed out that it's a lot better that they at least get an education at the same time. Made sense to me.

This was going to be my point. This is the everest for those at the Olympics, for most footballers that comes every Saturday.

A few will get a lot of sponsorship (millions) but there was an interview with one of the swimmers the other day who said how happy he was to get 'podium' grade funding as it meant he got 20k a year to live on. Expected to be in the top 3 of his discipline in the world and he gets 20k a year, and the likes of Barton get triple that in a week!

This was going to be my point. This is the everest for those at the Olympics, for most footballers that comes every Saturday.

So many average footballers live like kings, while only the very best are rewarded in other sports.

A few will get a lot of sponsorship (millions) but there was an interview with one of the swimmers the other day who said how happy he was to get 'podium' grade funding as it meant he got 20k a year to live on. Expected to be in the top 3 of his discipline in the world and he gets 20k a year, and the likes of Barton get triple that in a week!

#21= Emile Heskey
Net worth: £14 Million – As of May 2012
Current Club: Aston Villa

#26= Kieron Dyer
Net worth: £13 Million – As of May 2012
Current Club: Queens Park Rangers

From the latest 'richest footballers in England' list.

I've also found that NFL and NBA players generally give better interviews than the average British footballer. They earn just as much, perhaps more, have just as or more deprived backgrounds, and have been treated like kings though high school, college and professional ranks. Even Patrick Ewing learned to talk coherently eventually.

Public relations is very important to the people who run American sports teams. I think a big reason as to why King Kenny was sacked from Liverpool was the PR Liverpool got from the Suarez-Evra incident, a lot of which came from Kenny's pathetic interviews was so bad that the owners thought they had no choice but to act. Before the Superbowl, they have a day designated for the media to ask questions to the players called 'media day' funnily enough. Plus I think most American athletes, especially the NFL and NBA players are naturally more charismatic and more comfortable with the media and enjoy that side of it. They also have a rule where you get fined as a player if you don't talk to the media after the game.

The past couple of weeks has really brought home to me how much more rounded, as human beings, our cyclists, athletes, rowers etc are than our footballers.

Far more grounded; far more humble; far more professional; far more aware and respectful of the fact that they are so lucky to do something that they love as a job; far more appreciative of the support that they receive.

They rarely enjoy the limelight; they get paid peanuts by comparison to footballers; when interviewed, they are polite, happy and interesting; they don't appear to believe that the world owes them; they're not surly or monosyllabic; their passion and enthusiasm is abundantly evident.

Such a contrast to footballers.

Of course, background and education has played a part in some cases. So has circumstance (footballers are in the public eye all year round). And of course I am generalising to an extent (though not without justification).

But I can't help but think that more could be done; that, somehow, our football authorities, coaches and clubs are failing young footballers in some respects. They're failing to provide them with a moral compass or positive role models. They're failing to teach them how to become proper adults.

Young footballers grow up seeing senior footballers diving; cheating, snarling; arguing; driving flash cars; going out to clubs; behaving contemptuously towards mere mortals; barely tolerating the few demands that are made of them. And that's what they will copy unless they are shown an alternative.

I don't know what needs to be done or whether the will is there to do it. Perhaps it is a forlorn hope. But I sure hope that the effort is made. It would be nice to be able to feel some affinity with and respect for our footballers once again.

Good post!

Most of my thoughts have already been expressed with regards to footballers' wages and their belief that they can do whatever they please and get away with it.

Footballers are molly coddled to the point where if they need someone to come round and fix their bolier, someone at the club will arrange it for them so they never have to lift a finger.

Olympians of lesser known sports such as equestrian or shooting have so much pressure on them to succeed as funding for the sport is directly linked to success. Football is the most popular sport in the world and always will be.

Even though football is my favourite sport, my two favourite athletes are Roger Federer and Usain Bolt. There are a few rare examples of footballers who are genuine nice guys, Antonio Di Natale has promised to look after the sister of the Livorno player who collapsed and died of cardiac arrest financially, but they are few and far between sadly.

This.

I'd also like to add that whilst it's admirable that our athletes are entirely down to earth, doesn't anyone else find them just a little bit boring?

Quite the opposite, actually. To me, they come across as far more interesting than footballers - most of whom are incapable of uttering a sentence that isn't either a platitude or a cliché.

Great OP and thread.

Young footballers grow up seeing senior footballers diving; cheating, snarling; arguing; driving flash cars; going out to clubs; behaving contemptuously towards mere mortals; barely tolerating the few demands that are made of them. And that's what they will copy unless they are shown an alternative.

I believe it is the responsibility of the parent(s) to be the primary moral compass for their children. But the young footballer gets removed, often entirely, from the family environment at a formative age and thrust too early into the base and false environment of professional football. Generally speaking 15-16 yrs is too young to be a professional (no Wenger jokes please). And in some cases depending on the maturity of the kid, 17 - 18 yrs old may be too young also. It is dependent on the individual of course.

And in my opinion it is in those formative years as a young pro the behavioural foundations are set which they carry with them through their professional careers. As Jimmy says above, the example being show by fellow pros really isn't one they should be copying. It is nothing short of disgraceful the brick that goes on a football pitch to gain a competitive advantage. Was it always like this? I seem to remember harder tackles but less prima donna nonsense but I suppose that could be the sepia viewed picture of football from years ago I have in my head.

In my opinion it needs to change, and if the powers in charge can't see it this tells me that they see the drama as an added benefit, a sideshow to the football, which must be encouraged to increase viewer figures. Player's behaviour could be changed with a bit of determination, prudent use of technology, and someone in charge with the courage to do it. If they set a code of conduct and enforced it using video technology it would change the game literally overnight. In time this would filter down.

Am I the only one who thinks it's much more to do with class / upbringing than it is money? :-"

Most English footballers just seem like the average chav / rudeboy / thug / simpleton that abound in this country regardless of salary.

Am I the only one who thinks it's much more to do with class / upbringing than it is money? :-"

Most English footballers just seem like the average chav / rudeboy / thug / simpleton that abound in this country regardless of salary.

Spot on! The Thai girl that won a bronze in the weight lifting comes from a family who lives in a hut and has a daily income of about a fiver! Until recently worked full time to help support the family. And a lovely person as well. It is down to the person themselves how they behave, with or without money. If you are an thicko obnoxious taco without money then you will be a rich thick obnoxious taco with money!

Footballers are just ****s. The more I watch other sports, the less I like football.

Look at Cavendish in the Tour de France, one of the worlds greats sacrificing personal glory doing a job for the team to try and make history, not just for Wiggins but for Britain. The guy was reigning world sprint champion and green jersey holder, happy to play the role of domestique to help the team cause

Yet we have two Spurs players who are in the Olympics footy final, one a regular, one isn't.

Footy is all about talent, less about substance, and it's the upbringing plus life choices which defines a person. Footy has so much money in it, and so many players make so much money when they are so young they aren't emotionally mature. Playing a sport for the love of it, you tend to come from a different place - the money means freedom and more of it tends to make people feel self important. Very few would ever see it as a resonsibility to help those less well off - well, they worked for it, why shouldn't others attitude.

Look at the olympic village, very communal setting, everything is provided and all sorts of people from different countries and backgrounds mix and mingle. There will always be a few that won't, some very aloof, but every time I hear stories the athletes love the level playing field and atmos, the camraderie. I'd kill to be there, must be great !

Last edited:
However, you have to realise that for some of the major american football and basketball programs the education is my favourite buttplug. Student athletes get tutored extensively through high school and in college and the required grades are minimal, sometimes embarrassingly so. Its not unknown (although strictly forbidden) for the tutors to take the exams for them.

Very true, I met a few american guys while away travelling and we talked quite a bit about this (it amazes me that college american footballers go out every week and play to 30,000 plus then once they finish college they just stop unless they are picked up by the NFL). Every one of them said, no matter how stupid you are or how bad your grades are, if you are good at sport, the college will ensure that you get through your exams.

There would be absolute uproar in the UK if universities started taking this approach.

Back