• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Oliver Skipp

It is quite rate for a player who is able to really shine in the championship despite being very young not to be able to play well in the premiership in the same position.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure Skipp is good enough as a starting player for where we want to be. He is decent enough cover however.
And home grown
But I’m not convinced Ange sees it in him

He was outstanding at Norwich playing as a DM.
But here he never sees, to get that rolen

My son in law is a season ticket holder at Norwich and says he was outstanding for them that season, he was included in the 2021 PFA team of the year. Sadly he has been held back by injurys and illness since his return but is still only 23 so if he can stay fit i hope we keep him. He played as a DM [ which imo is the posistion we really need to fill] and he could save us money on buying one. Not saying he is the answer but imo i would shift several other players before him.

My son in law is a season ticket holder at Norwich and says he was outstanding for them that season, he was included in the 2021 PFA team of the year. Sadly he has been held back by injurys and illness since his return but is still only 23 so if he can stay fit i hope we keep him. He played as a DM [ which imo is the posistion we really need to fill] and he could save us money on buying one. Not saying he is the answer but imo i would shift several other players before him.
At the very least he's homegrown so it makes sense to keep him and try him out. I imagine though Ange has in training and hasn't been impressed so far. Maybe with time he will change his mind?

At the very least he's homegrown so it makes sense to keep him and try him out. I imagine though Ange has in training and hasn't been impressed so far. Maybe with time he will change his mind?

Who knows if we believe what some sources are saying he has already got a list of players he wants to bring in. I suppose it depends what his plans are and if Skipp fits in there.

....and Harry Winks was voted player of the year at Leicester this season, which about sums up the gulf.

i think he did ok.
first goal could be attributed partly to him but its also how ange sets up the defence narrow and high, far post/side will always be vulnerable.
kudos to him he didn't allow it to happen again.

udogie miles ahead but i think we have more urgent priorities (attack and midfield) so happy for him as LB cover for a season.

Thought he was decent today, aside from letting his man past him a couple of times (which is perhaps to be expected when playing out of position).

I still think he might make a decent no. 6. Maybe good enough to be second choice at Spurs. But not sure how much longer he’d be happy with that. And Ange doesn’t seem to see him as a no. 6 anyway, for some reason.

I didn't watch the match and only saw the highlights but in them he seemed to get beaten quite consistently and their goal was directly attributable to him.

Now of course he's not a natural LB at all but it feels a little hypocritical that he's even getting some degree of praise when just last week Royal was getting pelters for the same performance but just against far better players.

Is it because Royals reputation amongst the fanbase is already compromised or because Skipp is homegrown? But there is an inconsistency being displayed here.

I didn't watch the match and only saw the highlights but in them he seemed to get beaten quite consistently and their goal was directly attributable to him.

Now of course he's not a natural LB at all but it feels a little hypocritical that he's even getting some degree of praise when just last week Royal was getting pelters for the same performance but just against far better players.

Is it because Royals reputation amongst the fanbase is already compromised or because Skipp is homegrown? But there is an inconsistency being displayed here.
Skipp yesterday was miles better than royal last week
The key being you didn’t watch the game
Royal was fine against Chelsea but woeful last week
The highlights probably don’t show you all the attacking movements we had. He did the inverted part really well

Well Royal is a defender, but you do have a point that skipp is given an easier ride.

I would have had ven de ven at left back and Royal centre back. Or as champions league is gone, just played all the kids.

I thought their goal came about because of some really poor play from us on the other side of the pitch, two missed tackles with both players failing to take the player and the yellow card that would’ve stopped the dangerous attack.

This all day. Credit where it's due and to a certain extent there's nothing wrong with seeking positives but folks saying "Skipp did loads better than Royal did the week before", well yeah yesterday was against relegation fodder and he was still culpable for a goal and got bypassed a bunch of times. Royal got shredded by an excellent team and Salah who perhaps isn't on great form but is nonetheless one of the best players in the PL.

If Skipp gets slack because he is just filling in / doing a job then Royal should be afforded the same privilege. I genuinely like both players but I don't see any point in pretending either are solid options long term, comparison doesn't mean a lot when we know both aren't up to it in that position.

Moving forwards maybe the key is utilizing VDV in that position with Dragusin coming in ie actually using the quality expensive players we have brought in or getting in someone useful in place of Sess, he's a dedicated LB who offers no cover in that one position that he plays.

Or some people just have a different opinion.

Royal was awful in the last game.
Skipp came on and did ok, and did the same Vs Burnley. He got caught up field when we (Kulusevski?) lost the ball for the goal, but that seems to be where Ange wants his full backs.

He isn't the answer to LB, but played it slightly better than Royal, but that's a low level.

This set up just isn't for royal

Last edited:
This all day. Credit where it's due and to a certain extent there's nothing wrong with seeking positives but folks saying "Skipp did loads better than Royal did the week before", well yeah yesterday was against relegation fodder and he was still culpable for a goal and got bypassed a bunch of times. Royal got shredded by an excellent team and Salah who perhaps isn't on great form but is nonetheless one of the best players in the PL.

If Skipp gets slack because he is just filling in / doing a job then Royal should be afforded the same privilege. I genuinely like both players but I don't see any point in pretending either are solid options long term, comparison doesn't mean a lot when we know both aren't up to it in that position.

Moving forwards maybe the key is utilizing VDV in that position with Dragusin coming in ie actually using the quality expensive players we have brought in or getting in someone useful in place of Sess, he's a dedicated LB who offers no cover in that one position that he plays.
Shredded is a bit harsh, let's be honest both Royal and Skipp were effectively hung out to dry in these games, maybe not deliberately but as both are being played out of position, not on their natural side, in a system that doesn't fit them and neither of them have had lot game time of late we really should not be expecting an awful lot from them.
For me there are two reasons Royal looked worse, firstly Liverpool deliberately targeted his side and we as a team could not adapt, secondly, as you point out, they're better than Burnley. Neither of those are down to Royal.
Both players are good cover for games like yesterday in their natural position, which is the bulk of the season, but against the top six away from home and out of their position they will struggle.
Especially when those around them are out of form.

Or some people just have a different opinion.

Royal was awful in the last game.
Skipp came on and did ok, and did the same Vs Burnley. He got caught up field when we (Kulusevski?) lost the ball for the goal, but that seems to be where Ange wants his full backs.

He isn't the answer to RB, but played it slightly better than Royal, but that's a low level.

This set up just isn't for royal
Royale also did a great job filling in at CB for a month or longer when we was struggling for players. The point is he is a good defender, and you can't expect him to be barely used except when desperately needed and then put in great displays out of position. Same can of course be said for Skipp, and agree neither are good enough for Ange style of play.

But Skipp definitely gets afforded different privileges, partly because many went in hard on Royale from the days he started here and partly because Skipp has come through the ranks....

Back