• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official TV Thread ***

Masters of the Air released on.....Apple TV!?

I've been waiting for this show for like a decade, but are they going to put it on a proper streaming service?

Edit - I've realized you can do a 7 free trial so looks like I'll just do that and binge it.

Last edited:
Band of brothers is brilliant. Pacific was good but did not match Band of brothers.

Masters of the Air looks a bit cheesy in bits I’ve seen . Hopefully it captures the immense tension and stress of flying in a bomber crew. The books I’ve read all describe this sort of stuff well.

The brutal reality of what people went through and the bond between fighting men is part of what made the previous two series so good.

Will be watching first couple tomorrow . Fingers crossed it’s good.

Band of Brothers is my favourite series of all time. Loved the Pacific as well. Looking forward to this one.

BoB is near enough flawless as a piece of television. The only thing that irritates/ confuses me is that they got the details of Blythe's life post war completely wrong, which for a series based on real life happenings it seems odd that the researchers got it so wrong or they tried to dramatize it?

But yeah when I see people putting breaking bad as the top TV show of all time I can't help but think they haven't seen band of brothers. The bastogne episode, the one called "why we fight" and even the last one where things had settled down but came down to the points system for getting back home, all incredible stuff. Who knew David Schwimmer could actually act beyond basic sitcom kind of stuff, he was immense.

I liked the pacific too, particularly the focus on soldiers attempting to settle back in to normal life post war.

@djp82 I haven't seen any trailers but Austin Butler being in it, there's just something that annoys me about that guy ,maybe it's envy but his whole face / attitude thing screams "look at me aren't I handsome", maybe this is just a me problem!

BoB is near enough flawless as a piece of television. The only thing that irritates/ confuses me is that they got the details of Blythe's life post war completely wrong, which for a series based on real life happenings it seems odd that the researchers got it so wrong or they tried to dramatize it?

But yeah when I see people putting breaking bad as the top TV show of all time I can't help but think they haven't seen band of brothers. The bastogne episode, the one called "why we fight" and even the last one where things had settled down but came down to the points system for getting back home, all incredible stuff. Who knew David Schwimmer could actually act beyond basic sitcom kind of stuff, he was immense.

I liked the pacific too, particularly the focus on soldiers attempting to settle back in to normal life post war.

@djp82 I haven't seen any trailers but Austin Butler being in it, there's just something that annoys me about that guy ,maybe it's envy but his whole face / attitude thing screams "look at me aren't I handsome", maybe this is just a me problem!
The battle of the Bulge episodes were brilliant. The interviews after the episodes one sticks with me when one of the soldiers now many years later. Talks about it being cold with his wife. He goes on to say nothing will match how cold he was in Bastogne.

Think Band of brothers will never be topped for the portrayal of the misery suffered by infantry men at war. Only books normally convey that well.

Just this week finished reading , With the Jocks by Peter White. Very good if you’re into reading about the war.

Also Journeys end is another that tries to capture the human condition during war. First World War but a very good film .

Last edited:
The battle of the Bulge episodes were brilliant. The interviews after the episodes one sticks with me when one of the soldiers now many years later. Talks about it being cold with his wife. He goes on to say nothing will match how cold he was in Bastogne.

Think Band of brothers will never be topped for the portrayal of the misery suffered by infantry men at war. Only books normally convey that well.

Just this week finished reading , With the Jocks by Peter White. Very good if you’re into reading about the war.

Also Journeys end is another that tries to capture the human condition during war. First World War but a very good film .

The Bastogne episode has always stuck with me. Can’t imagine how horrible it must have been for those soldiers with no winter clothes fighting in those conditions. Everything about it is stunning, the acting, the cinematography, the battles scenes. And the episode where Spiers saves the day is just epic.

The Bastogne episode has always stuck with me. Can’t imagine how horrible it must have been for those soldiers with no winter clothes fighting in those conditions. Everything about it is stunning, the acting, the cinematography, the battles scenes. And the episode where Spiers saves the day is just epic.
Totally agreed. Think that’s why it’ll never be bettered.

Masters of the Air released on.....Apple TV!?

I've been waiting for this show for like a decade, but are they going to put it on a proper streaming service?

Edit - I've realized you can do a 7 free trial so looks like I'll just do that and binge it.
Watched the first episode last night.

Not sure about it tbh. Not really connecting with the characters. They are all a bit brash and think they're the coolest cat on the block (yes I get it they are American).

And it makes me wonder how many times you can repeat the 'theyre flying off ....will they come back' suspense.

Watched the first episode last night.

Not sure about it tbh. Not really connecting with the characters. They are all a bit brash and think they're the coolest cat on the block (yes I get it they are American).

And it makes me wonder how many times you can repeat the 'theyre flying off ....will they come back' suspense.

Have also only watched the first episode and was very underwhelmed. It all feels far too glossy.
I guess they've a lot to live up to following the perfect BoB and mostly excellent Pacific. Will have to lower my expectations for future episodes.

I have just watched Reacher season 2 over 2 evenings, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
My wife read yesterday that there will be a season three.

I had no idea Lee Childs was a Brummie. Explains the prominence of a Bentley and a Jaguar.

Some very dark humour here and extremely creative cartoonish violence. All good fun.

CVWatched the first episode last night.

And it makes me wonder how many times you can repeat the 'theyre flying off ....will they come back'

There is one superficially brash guy but we already see he is superstitious and scared after two missions.

We also saw a commanding officer vomiting with stress, a navigator losing the way, poor formation flying, a failed mission and the loss of several crews.

It’s going to be a hard watch and perhaps there are not going to be many rewards for doing so.

Even successful missions when they come will bring about massive death and destruction.

The characters are already changed, what will they be like after a few weeks of this let alone months or even years.

My wife read yesterday that there will be a season three.

I had no idea Lee Childs was a Brummie. Explains the prominence of a Bentley and a Jaguar.

Some very dark humour here and extremely creative cartoonish violence. All good fun.
Indeed, season 3 is currently being filmed.

Just watched Fargo season 5. Season 4 was pretty mediocre, but WTF happened here? This was complete garbage. The writing was some of the worst I've ever seen.

The extremely predictable storyline, worthy of maybe three episodes, was somehow stretched to ten. You have hours and hours to build characters and set things up properly and we get cardboard cutouts and some deus ex machina every time they needed something to happen.

The dialogue was cringeworthy and cliched. You can have strong female characters without every male character being dumb, evil or both.

I had the pleasure (if you can call it that) of going to the American war museum place at the D Day experience in Normandy
well worth a visit if you have a chance
it’s basically all about the airborne regiment that was used as the foundation for BOB
they did a reunion event there a few years back

Back