• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Siggi

They have Gerrard, Cole and Aquilani who can play in that position and they're probably among the top 5 earners at the club. Cole on £90K, Gerrard on £100K++.

Does seem indicative of the Liverpool board tightening the budgets.

Regardless I think Rodgers comments are petty.

Yup.

He's done well. He makes the players all happy and massages their egos by saying they are all great and mainly don't need to be replaced. He impresses the board with his ability to spin and defend the club's decision, and he gets the fans on-side by having a sly dig at the player 'He went to Tottenham for whatever reason...this club is a great footballing institution' which actually has most of them saying they are glad they didn't stump up a relatively measely 40k a week for a proven quality player in a Rodgers system. And to top it off he sugar coats the dig at Gylfi with a 'He's a great lad though, no hard feelings' type comment to let all players know that he is a man of the people and doesn't become vindicitive.

Very clever man. It's impressive, an art. To placate so many people and spin a bad situation like that is bloody good going. I don't think AVB has that skill to be honest. Kind of wish he did.

Last edited:
They have Gerrard, Cole and Aquilani who can play in that position and they're probably among the top 5 earners at the club. Cole on £90K, Gerrard on £100K++.

And that's the reason they didn't go for him. It wasn't to do with assessing the squad (he'd already made the bid!), or thinking Gylfi wasn't worth 40k. It's 40k ffs, and it's Liverpool. They will easily pay their squad players that, let alone their proven players and players who are likely to start.

But the club couldn't risk getting into a bidding war, and loading the wage bill with another attacking midfielder when they already have loads they need to move off the books. I don't believe he thinks he is going to get the same level of performance out of a past-it Cole or an Aquilani who has never settled, and he probably knows it.

Also, I'm not sure how you explain the difference between an "Adam" and a "Gylfi" to an American*. They must all, you know, look the same to them.

* Discounting our American comrades on GG, of course.

Signing Sigurdsson has been worthwhile purely for the comedy value of the Liverpool fans reaction!

One Liverpool fan even said to me that Spurs are "the new Chelsea", in other words he came to us for the money alone. I said I'm pretty sure you have a higher wage bill than us!

On talksport a journalist that covers Swansea was talking about Sigurdsson before he signed to Danny Kelly. Kelly asked him what he would bring to a top 6 challenging club.

The journalist said he had everything you'd want in a modern midfielder. His set-pieces, the curl he puts on the ball, whipped in deliveries and long-range strikes, goals from midfield, but above all he said his work-rate and energy were his biggest asset. He said he eagerly buys into the high pressing game that some of the top teams have played in the Euros, such as Spain. He said he presses high up the pitch and won a lot of ball for Swansea in dangerous areas.

If you consider the above, I think Sigurdsson would fit right into AVB's 3-man midfield. He has the energy and will to press high and the intelligence and goal-threat to hurt teams when he wins the ball high up the pitch. I haven't seen much of him myself, only when Swansea played us last season, but if the journalist is correct, I think he would be right up AVB's street.

Also, where did Sigurdsson come from? He wasn't mentioned as a target until the last couple of weeks - it looked like Liverpool were nailed on to sign him, Spurs swooped quickly from left-field. What does that say to me?

It says to me that he only became a target when we were sitting round a table with AVB and his representatives and we knew the deal would be done (just ironing out formalities) and the topic of transfer strategy obviously came up at one point and Sigurdsson was agreed - he fits AVB's system and profile, but more importantly he fits Levy's profile too - young, relatively inexpensive, high potential sell-on value.

Sigurdsson himself said he had a call from AVB and talked to him about his ideas and football stategy - so I think it all makes sense that this is absolutely an AVB approved signing - from the timing, to the player profile!

Thanks, that's encouraging.

Who cares? 11 reasons why LFC fans should be glad Sigurdsson chose Spurs...

After signing for Tottenham Hotspur yesterday, Gylfi Sigurdsson argued that he chose Spurs ahead of Liverpool because of the London club's 'world class players', ability to play 'good football' and future 'ambition'. That's fair enough, and I wish Sigurdsson well, but Liverpool fans shouldn't be too disheartened by losing out on the Icelander, and here are 11 reasons why.

1. Not key to Swansea's style of play. Yes, Sigurdsson scored some goals, but it was pass-masters like Joe Allen, Leon Britton, Ashley Williams and Angel Rangel who really made Swansea tick.

2. Only at Swansea for five months (!). The club was playing superb football for ages before he arrived. Five months of the Premier League experience is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

3. No feeling for LFC or its history. Sigurdsson had the chance to join one of the world's most prestigious and respected clubs, and if the attraction of Liverpool wasn't good enough for a player with only five months of Premier League experience, then quite frankly, I'm glad he signed for Spurs.

4. Lack of experience. As we've seen with Andy Carroll, buying players based on only half a season of Premier League football is a risky proposition. Sigurdsson did well for Swansea, but there's no guarantee that he'll be able to replicate that form at a top club.

5. Brendan Rodgers let him go. If Rodgers really saw Sigurdsson as a vital component in his LFC revolution, he would've moved heaven and earth to sign him. He didn't, which to me means that he saw the 23 year old as a decent player to have, nothing more, nothing less. Indeed, in an interview with LFC TV today, Rodgers confirmed that he 'was not prepared to pay more' than what had been previously agreed for the player, which suggests he didn't feel Sigurdsson was worth the extra money.

6. 10% conversion rate. This is significantly lower than some of LFC's other midfielders, including Gerrard (23%); Maxi (23%); Bellamy (19%). Okay, his rate is superior to the likes of Henderson and Downing, but that's hardly a difficult achievement.

7. 32% shooting accuracy. Only 32 of Sigurdsson's 73 shots for Swansea were on target. Again, this is lower than many midfielders in LFC's squad, including: Shelvey (43%); Bellamy (52%); Kuyt (45%); Johnson (47%); Henderson (45%); Gerrard (52%); Maxi (47%);

8. Not a genuine game-changer/match-winner? The Swans failed to win 12 of the 19 games (63%) in which Sigurdsson played, 8 of which were defeats, including a 4-game losing streak in April and only 2 wins in the final 9 league games of last season. Where was Sigurdsson's individual impact for the team then?

9. Top-level impact? Sigurdsson's goals came against: West Brom, Wigan, Fulham, Blackburn and Spurs, which suggests that he finds it easier to score against the poorer teams in the league. Conversely, he failed to score or assist against Liverpool, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Man United, Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea (granted, this point is rather tenuous, but what the hell!)

10. Poor assist rate: Sigurdsson's assist rate for Swansea was one every 6.3 games, which is not great. Extrapolated over a season, that would be 6-7 assists in 38 league games. Stewart Downing - an experienced Premier League player - got 8 assists in his final season for Aston Villa, but ended up with a big fat zero in his first year at Anfield.

11. Mercenary? According to LFC Legend Steve Nicol, Sigurdsson's wage demands derailed Liverpool's bid, which suggests he's a bit of a mercenary. In public, he'll say the usual stuff about ambition etc, but the reality is he went to London for the money.

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2012/07/who-cares-11-reasons-why-lfc-fans.html

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is funny :)

I particularly like how he complains about the "only 5 months of PL experience" then to spend the next 4-5 points pointing out individual high variance stats based on that (admittedly) small sample size. Internal consistency for the (not exactly) win...

Not going to pretend that Sigurdsson is Xavi and Gerrard merged into one Icelandic son of Thor, but for around 8 million it's about as good of a gamble as we're likely to find anywhere.

I just like the fact that they're clearly not bothered about him joining us......so they go and write things like this. Comedy gold.

http://www.visir.is/gylfi--eg-elska-ensku-urvalsdeildina/article/2012707059955

Interview with Iceland's largest newspaper, "The Newspaper"...original, I know!

---------------------------

Icelandic international, Gylfi Þor Sigurdsson, has signed a contract with Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur. The buying price is thought to be around 8 million pounds, or 1.6 billion ISK. The contract is for 5 years.

A lot has been written and talked about Gylfi's future in the media, abroad as well here in Iceland. The uncertainty around whether he'd join up with his former Swansea manager, Brendan Rodgers, who recently took charge at Liverpool, or Tottenham, which up until Tuesday was without a manager, was big.

"I took all the time that I had to, and even though the drama and anticipation surrounding the media was huge, I took my time in order to come to the right decision," says Gylfi who won't talk about Liverpool's interest in him for now, according to the wishes of his new employers.

Tottenham hired a new manager on Tuesday, André Villas-Boas. The Portuguese, who was sacked from his job at Chelsea in early March, has spoken to Gylfi over the phone.

"He convinced me that this was a great club and I'd never had finalized my decision until it was clear who'd become the new manager," says Gylfi but admits he'd been in talks with Tottenham for quite some time.

"I spoke to the board and the club at first, but you don't make a decision until you hear from the manager. It's very important to feel wanted by him," says Gylfi, but a lot of Icelandic players have been burnt by going to clubs due to the will of boardmembers instead of managers.

Germany never in the picture

It's been almost two years since Gylfi joined up with German Bundesliga club Hoffenheim. By then he'd been selected Reading's player of the season, but financial troubles above all else made sure the Hafnarfjorder(Note: Gylfi's hometown, Hafnarfjordur just outside of Reykjavik) was sold to the German club.

After a decent first season, Gylfi battled injuries and his opportunities were cut short during the first half of his second season at Hoffenheim. He was then loaned to English Premier League club Swansea, where he played under Brendan Rodgers, who he knew from his days at Reading. Gylfi was an instant hit and was awarded Player of the month in March, and it became clear that he wanted to play in England.

"After my time at Reading I'd grown accustomed to England and always wanted to go back there. I love the Premier League, just like most people do. After I was loaned to Swansea I felt the football in England suited me much better. I speak the language fluently, understand everything and it's just very different," says Gylfi and adds that he always wanted to return to English football after his stay at Swansea, a club he's sad to leave.

"Of course it's hard to leave Swansea, because my time there was fantastic and it's a very entertaining club. This, however, is the next step in my career."

A huge club

Gylfi says this is a huge step for himself as a footballer. "It's a huge club with a lot of ambition, they'll be in the Europa League next year and everything around them is growing bigger. They're finishing up a new training ground and the idea is also to build a new stadium, so there's a lot of ambition within the club and with the board," says Gylfi, who'll become the fourth Icelandic player to play for Tottenham at White Hart Lane in North-London. Gudni Bergsson played for the club for years, and later on Emil Hallfredsson and Eidur Gudjohnsen signed for the club.

Tottenham finished fourth in the league last season, which usually would have ment qualification for the Champions League. But after archrivals Chelsea won the competition, Tottenham had to settle for the Europa League.

"The expectations for next season are naturally high, which is great. It puts a little bit of pressure on you which is very positive. The goal is to reach the Champions League next year," says Gylfi who'll report to training with the London club on Wednesday(I do belive this is supposed to be Monday, as has been widely reported here in Iceland...) and is really looking forward to it.

"There are some fantastic players at the club like Van der Vaart, Adebayor, Modric and Gareth Bale. I could name them all, they're players known all around the world, playing in a world class. You can really improve by training and playing with them every day."

Young footballers dream of reaching far in their sport. Gylfi says determination and a lot of work has eventually put him where he is today, playing for Tottenham.

"I realized at a very young age that I wanted to play football professionally. I've worked very hard. You have to train extra, take care of your body and you'll get there."

----------------------------

Interesting to see he's been gagged about the interest from Liverpool. Guess we'll have to wait a while to really know what went on there.

Also nice to see he'd been in talks with us for a long time. Puts some legs under the story that he had completed his medical way in advance. The whispers here in Iceland is that the holdup was at Hoffenheim, not with regards to personal terms.

That is funny :)

I particularly like how he complains about the "only 5 months of PL experience" then to spend the next 4-5 points pointing out individual high variance stats based on that (admittedly) small sample size. Internal consistency for the (not exactly) win...

Not going to pretend that Sigurdsson is Xavi and Gerrard merged into one Icelandic son of Thor, but for around 8 million it's about as good of a gamble as we're likely to find anywhere.

It would be so easy to go through each one of those points and completely knock them out of the park. So easy that it wouldn't be worth doing it.

Suffice to say, over a season Gylfi would probably get 15 goals give or take, he'd get an amount of assists that led to Downing earning his 20m move to Liverpool, when he was generally considered a good provider, would probably set up a lot of goals by assisting the assist, and knows how to play the Rodgers system. To claim that he is, considering all of that, only worth 20k a week really insults the intelligence of their fans. A player with those statistics is not worth only 20k a week. It's not about 'Rodgers knowing more' at all. Again, an insult to the intelligence of their fans. And they are lapping it up.

in that Icelandic interview, he says he cant wait to play with VDV, Bale, Modric and Adebayor.....hmm, does he know something we dont about Ade????

also wonder how he will feel if VDV and Modric leave

In the above quote it states that "32% shooting accuracy. Only 32 of Sigurdsson's 73 shots for Swansea were on target. Again, this is lower than many midfielders in LFC's squad, including: Shelvey (43%); Bellamy (52%); Kuyt (45%); Johnson (47%); Henderson (45%); Gerrard (52%); Maxi (47%)"

However, 32 out of 73 amounts to 43.8%.

In the above quote it states that "32% shooting accuracy. Only 32 of Sigurdsson's 73 shots for Swansea were on target. Again, this is lower than many midfielders in LFC's squad, including: Shelvey (43%); Bellamy (52%); Kuyt (45%); Johnson (47%); Henderson (45%); Gerrard (52%); Maxi (47%)"

However, 32 out of 73 amounts to 43.8%.

Shots on target are all well and good but Liverpool have a desperately low conversion ratio. Unless you count hitting the post.

9. Top-level impact? Sigurdsson's goals came against: West Brom, Wigan, Fulham, Blackburn and Spurs, which suggests that he finds it easier to score against the poorer teams in the league. Conversely, he failed to score or assist against Liverpool, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Man United, Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea (granted, this point is rather tenuous, but what the hell!)
:-k
PL 2011/12: 4.Spurs - 69p; 8.Liverpool - 52p; 9. Fulham - 52p 10. WBA - 47p - I don't see the difference between Liverpool, WBA and Fulham

10. Poor assist rate: Sigurdsson's assist rate for Swansea was one every 6.3 games, which is not great. Extrapolated over a season, that would be 6-7 assists in 38 league games. Stewart Downing - an experienced Premier League player - got 8 assists in his final season for Aston Villa, but ended up with a big fat zero in his first year at Anfield.
:ross: :ross: :ross:

Last edited:
Liverpool probably thought they could get him cheap due to his relationship with Rodgers. We came in with a reasonable wage (about 40k plus bonuses is what I'm hearing), forcing Liverpool to raise their wage offer....which was still slightly below ours.

I don't blame Gylfi for being insulted. According to Lipton, Liverpool's average wage bill was 60k while hours was 44k per week. Why should Gylfi make half the wage of an Adam or Downing? Us offering a fair market wage doesn't make us a Chelsea or City, offering crazy wages to mercenaries - it just shows we weren't stingy ****s trying to screw over a young player.

Of course money matters. It's not everything, but it does show how you value a player in comparison to others in the team. If I were a Liverpool fan, I wouldn't care so much about losing out over Gylfi (in fact I place Gylfi in the "good, not great" category) but I would worry about the way FSG appear to be tightening the belt. While it's sensible, it's a bit unfair on Rodgers, being forced to work with a team not of his own style yet tasked with reaching the top four.

Of course money matters. It's not everything, but it does show how you value a player in comparison to others in the team. If I were a Liverpool fan, I wouldn't care so much about losing out over Gylfi (in fact I place Gylfi in the "good, not great" category) but I would worry about the way FSG appear to be tightening the belt. While it's sensible, it's a bit unfair on Rodgers, being forced to work with a team not of his own style yet tasked with reaching the top four.

In fairness, it's hard to imagine that wasn't made clear to him when he was offered the job. And he still took it.

Back