• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**Official Other Games Thread, Season 2012/13**

SpursMeUp,

the linesman was clearly a lot closer to the incident, however,that doesnt neccessairly mean he noticed the incident better than the linesman. 1) there could be a "line-of-sight or angle" factor to it. 2) ref may have been focusing elsewhere, whilst the linesman had the majority of his focus in that zone.

If they are not normally given, they definitely should be. Not because of my opinion, but because of the rules. Otherwise, they should perhaps edit the rules to allow for minor "grabs and pushes in the penalty box, but not in other areas of the pitch". If anything, maybe the ref and his team should be praised for giving this decision?

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger: "I thought we wouldn't give in and fight until the end. No-one could predict we would score three goals but we have great attitude, spirit and desire - and it got us there. We deserved to win but we were against a strong side and needed something special."

..and his name was Michael Jones. Was 'special' when they played west brom in december too, awarding 2 other howlers.

I don't think it's fixed. Would have happened a lot sooner if it was. I just think its a fudging spastic running the line / perhaps an arsenal fan.

i agree, think the was proof of it in the non league here as well

I do not think it will ever come to light here, can you imagine if it did considering how much money is involved in the game in this country, do not think all those bookies adverts on t.v. would be allowed then.

Think i remember a ref was getting a contract to pave over the chelsea owners drive a few years ago, something like that anyway.

For me after the match at west ham on the last day of the season when the leagues club doctor decided our team were fit to play without seeing us and instead decided to stay in his executive box at highbury i always knew the game was rigged.

Indeed. Scudamore, Dein, and the entire EPL top brass at Highbury that day. All having a good chuckle at our plight.

SpursMeUp,

the linesman was clearly a lot closer to the incident, however,that doesnt neccessairly mean he noticed the incident better than the linesman. 1) there could be a "line-of-sight or angle" factor to it. 2) ref may have been focusing elsewhere, whilst the linesman had the majority of his focus in that zone.

If they are not normally given, they definitely should be. Not because of my opinion, but because of the rules. Otherwise, they should perhaps edit the rules to allow for minor "grabs and pushes in the penalty box, but not in other areas of the pitch". If anything, maybe the ref and his team should be praised for giving this decision?

Any rule is open to interpretation. Nothing can work with rules alone. One has to have interpretation and common sense. Although you can't see that, dig deeper and you'll find that is the case from everything from sport to organisations to the civil laws.

These things are not black and white, because there will always be incidents that are too close to call, that are 'on the line' of the rule. So we need interpretation and common sense. For example:

If someone tugs a player back like that, when the attacker is running onto a ball and is a last man it is a 'stone wall' pen (and red!). But when standing around for a corner - that shouldn't have been a corner, same linesman awarded it - and players push shove and tug, rarely is anything given, if it is it is never ever called 'stone wall'. Interpretation of rules and common sense is everything.

In this incident I think it was a soft pen.

The ref saw it, just as you see the other side of your room. He just decided to duck out and not make a decision himself.

Last edited:
MANAGER REACTION - Arsenal 3-1 Norwich

Norwich manager Chris Hughton: "Losing in that manner is frustrating. For 85 minutes you have to accept the balance of possession is going to be Arsenal's. But we battled well, broke when we could, took the lead and made it difficult for them.

"If it's a bit of quality that opens you up, then you hold your hands up. But a decision has gone against us that a linesman has given from 45 to 50 yards away and the referee is less than 10 yards away.

"For a linesman to give it from that distance, and the third goal was offside with him 10 yards away, it's almost criminal on a day that we deserved so much more."

Indeed. Scudamore, Dein, and the entire EPL top brass at Highbury that day. All having a good chuckle at our plight.

They needed CL the following season more than ever as they were moving out of Highbury into their new stadium .

Similar thing happened when they moved from the Woolwich into Highbury just prior to the out break of the first world war . After the war, they were 'elected' out of the second division after yet another failed attempt to gain promotion the correct way.

apparentaly there was shirt pulling so linesman flagged

Apparently the same linesmen gave a corner instead of a clear goal kick when it was 10 yards in front of him which resulted in the penalty incident.

Also apparently the third goal was a foul on the defender and 2 yards offside, this one was 15 yards away from him.

It was the sort of pen that probably should be given, but and this is the salant point, they NEVER are. If they're gonna start giving pens for that then fine, we may get about 4 the next game, just make sure Ade's not on them!

Felt very dodgy this, similar to the Fulop game, But I have a feeling this was just incompetence or a closet gooner Lino, Fulop I really think was paid off though.

if we had beaten lets say Fulham, Wigan, and norwich at home then we wouldnt give a fcuk aboout the dodgy decisions today

1. Corner from which the pen was awarded looked like it was more likely a goal kick - Mr Linesman
2. Pen for a soft tug given - Mr Linesman again over a much closer Ref with clear sight line
3. An offside goal not chalked off by Mr Linesman

Whichever way you look at it, its not looking great for the officials. In a court of law, you'd have something to present to the jury.

I don't think there is any match fixing. Just poor officials and the smaller team suffering as a result. Happens all too often.

Last edited:
Any rule is open to interpretation. Nothing can work with rules alone. One has to have interpretation and common sense. Although you can't see that, dig deeper and you'll find that is the case from everything from sport to organisations to the civil laws.

These things are not black and white, because there will always be incidents that are too close to call, that are 'on the line' of the rule. So we need interpretation and common sense. For example:

If someone tugs a player back like that, when the attacker is running onto a ball and is a last man it is a 'stone wall' pen (and red!). But when standing around for a corner - that shouldn't have been a corner, same linesman awarded it - and players push shove and tug, rarely is anything given, if it is it is never ever called 'stone wall'. Interpretation of rules and common sense is everything.

In this incident I think it was a soft pen.

The ref saw it, just as you see the other side of your room. He just decided to duck out and not make a decision himself.

1) re interpretation - there are some things that arent and should not be open to interpretation. in civil law too.
2) this specific incident was black and white - did he (the norwich player), or did he not grab and haul down giroud?
3) re the corner - i havent seen a better view of it, but at the time, i didnt think i was a corner (i agree with you here). also the 3rd was offside (another incident where it is either black or white here tho)
- but both of these incidents are irrelevant when looking at the penalty incident
4) soft pen or not, giroud was fouled (which cannot be denied), and therefore under the current rules, should 100% be a penalty.

if we had beaten lets say Fulham, Wigan, and norwich at home then we wouldnt give a fcuk aboout the dodgy decisions today
If we'd won every game this season we'd be champions already and this wouldn't matter your right, but we're not that good and we're fighting it out with our 2 main rivals on pretty much the same number of points, so it does matter!

i agree with you here SpursMeUp. the ref was poor today. given that in the decisions leading up to goals (corner + offside), the decisions went arsenal's way, arsenal definitely came out in terms of "refeering luck", but make no mistake, the ref was poor all round , and arsenal had some bad decisions go against them earlier in the game.

If we'd won every game this season we'd be champions already and this wouldn't matter your right, but we're not that good and we're fighting it out with our 2 main rivals on pretty much the same number of points, so it does matter!

im talking about Fulham, Wigan and Norwich...........im simply saying that a top 4 chasing team cannot afford to drop points in these kind of games

we cannot rely on officials to do their job perfectly. Refs, linesmen make mistakes all the time

But if we won all those "easy" games we wouldn't be a top 4 chasing team, we'd be fighting for the title. We aren't that good, so we WILL drop points on occasions. As have every other team in the league. There are many games we've won where our opponents are saying the same stuff, but we can't all win every single game.

im talking about Fulham, Wigan and Norwich...........im simply saying that a top 4 chasing team cannot afford to drop points in these kind of games

we cannot rely on officials to do their job perfectly. Refs, linesmen make mistakes all the time

But the fact we're only 1 point off 3rd proves that the teams 3rd and 4th have also dropped silly points that a top 4 chasing side shouldn't be dropping! So what do we do when noone deserves to finish top 4 because they've dropped silly points?

Back