• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*Official OMT* - The day before a cup semi vs Chelsea and no OMT?

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Did the linesman flag for offside on the goal?

Heard people going on about it, but didn’t see it myself

he didn't, because they are instructed to let the phase continue then flag when the ball is dead

it's one of the things about VAR I don't like as players check for a flag and steam into challenges if they think the ball is live

We were so lucky tonight, why did we keep playing the ball out to the defenders when it wasn’t working - we just kept putting ourselves under pressure needlessly.

he didn't, because they are instructed to let the phase continue then flag when the ball is dead

it's one of the things about VAR I don't like as players check for a flag and steam into challenges if they think the ball is live

Thanks.

That’s what I thought happened. Confused me they were on about players stopping as Christensen had his arm up - wtf difference does that make. If the linesman hasn’t flagged then keep playing.

So zero controversy in that case.

(But agree it can risk injuries, but better than wrong decisions imo)

Why would they steam in any more than they would otherwise? If anything it's less likely because they'd know VAR would stuff them if they went in OTT.

Thanks.

That’s what I thought happened. Confused me they were on about players stopping as Christensen had his arm up - wtf difference does that make. If the linesman hasn’t flagged then keep playing.

So zero controversy in that case.

(But agree it can risk injuries, but better than wrong decisions imo)

Yeah, although they can flag, then it’s down to the players to be sure of themselves, ideally the flag would have gone up, Kane would have known he was on and played on anyway, had he known he was off he’d have stopped.

The VAR cameras should be spaced out better... the angle they used was very skewed

They need a camera near half way, a camera a bit further along, and a camera on the 18 yard line

And doesn't like VAR. I agree with him, its needs using carefully, and in a better way. A few things aren't clear, and there is the potential for games to be stop start.

Poch looked a little tired. As did the team. Playing so many games in the run up and over christmas has got to take it out of you mentally, and physically.

The squad needs help.

Awful to see Azpilicueta carrying on like that in the tunnel, right before the second half.
If he speaks to the ref like that, with so much disrespect, when he is wrong, he should be booked.

Any player who behaves like that towards a referee in the tunnel should be booked whether he’s right or wrong. It’s not heat of the moment and is a clear attempt to influence decisions in the second half.

Poch a little prickly and unpredictable in his interview. Keeps everyone guessing though.

Maybe he’s fed up with SKY and the continual gonads they’ve spouted about him to Utd this past fortnight.

Why would they steam in any more than they would otherwise? If anything it's less likely because they'd know VAR would stuff them if they went in OTT.

Lack of a flag validates belief in being on, if you are not sure and the flag stays down you go. Then the keeper comes out and does you, think Pickford on Alli, then the flag goes up because you were off all along, the Lino could see it but couldn’t flag.

If the flag goes up and you are not sure you don’t go and you don’t get injured, if the flag goes up and you are sure, you go anyway.

The lino’s and the players should act on their own initiative.

In time I’m sure players will train themselves out of it but this generation are conditioned to play to the flag and the whistle.

Phew. More than a few heart in mouth moments there. Definitely not at our best and I’d feel happier going into the 2nd leg with more than the single goal lead but, yet again, we did what was needed and managed to largely restrict them to speculative shots. Gazza looked confident when called upon but there was more playing in and around our own box than seemed necessary or wise.

Sissoko, Rose and Toby had good games. Harry too, considering every time he got near the ball he was wrapped in a wrestling hold.
Eriksen had a poor game as did Dele for the most part.

Michael Oliver was a disgrace.

We will need Dele and Eriksen on form for the 2nd leg. But nothing I saw in Cheatski tonight (that wasn’t of our own making) particularly scares me.

Lack of a flag validates belief in being on, if you are not sure and the flag stays down you go. Then the keeper comes out and does you, think Pickford on Alli, then the flag goes up because you were off all along, the Lino could see it but couldn’t flag.

If the flag goes up and you are not sure you don’t go and you don’t get injured, if the flag goes up and you are sure, you go anyway.

The lino’s and the players should act on their own initiative.

In time I’m sure players will train themselves out of it but this generation are conditioned to play to the flag and the whistle.
Guessing that offsides will soon be conveyed instantly to the ref from the VAR, thus rendering use of the flag obsolete. BBC seem to have that technology licked already.

Back