• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

Re: *Official* Holtby

Didnt even know it was on! But agree with what Bullet says about Holtby.

When he first came here his first couple of games I could see he was a gifted player. Where some of our players would take 2 touches to control the ball and lay it off he would do it in one which is a sigb of a good technical and skilfull player. I just think he stalled a bit after his first month but I think he will start next season and be an awesome player.

Give the kid a good preseason, and hopefully a striker that moves well and reads the game, and I think you will see his value.

I really believe he is going to be a top player for us, once again he has been written off by some fans after half a season in the Prem, madness.

I really believe he is going to be a top player for us, once again he has been written off by some fans after half a season in the Prem, madness.

Ridiculous if so, he has proven that he has the potential, and current ability, to succeed with us. I like his tenacity, his movement and that he works for the team and will always put in a shift. That doesn't even go in to his ability to read the game and to make a good pass. I think that he will get more involved in the side but not sure who he will displace, given that he can't play on the wings as effectively and Dembele, Sandro and Bale appear to have the centre of midfield accounted for.

He's less than two years older than Carroll, he's younger than Livermore and he's only had half a season in the PL.

He was a fixture for a Schalke team that did well in the CL and at times at least played some great football. He can play multiple positions, far from uncommon in a young player.

Give him some time. A lot of players have looked average at first in the PL only to improve massively as they adjusted, central midfield is probably one of the hardest positions to get used to. Holtby has been inconsistent (as can be expected), but he's also shown some real ability on the ball, great work rate and enthusiasm.

Ok, fair enough.

Sandro's first match was in a weakened Carling Cup match when when we got gubbed on by the Goons. After just one match there muppets on here slagging him off. Heck I remember before he had even played a game and the uninformed were on here complaining he was too slow based on utube clips of him playing for his former club.

For me he is another like Siggy who needs time. He is young and it s a foreign country for him regardless off his Enlisb heritage

No sure where he will end up playing and I think his versatility will play agains him initially but he has great technique and an engine and I think cold comfortably replace Parker without any problems and arguably a more positive effect on the team

Sandro's first match was in a weakened Carling Cup match when when we got gubbed on by the Goons. After just one match there muppets on here slagging him off. Heck I remember before he had even played a game and the uninformed were on here complaining he was too slow based on utube clips of him playing for his former club.

I'm sure some others thought that he would be scoring a lot more goals than he has. I think until a player arrives with the club, it's hard to judge him and how he will fit in, especially when the player signed comes from a club outside of the UK and perhaps isn't fantastic on Football Manager. Too many posters with too little knowledge of the game outside of the UK but who want to feel important and so pretend to know what a player is like before spectacularly embarrassing themselves with their hopelessly wrong forecast of the player's potential success or failure with us.

Out of the three we bought to try to replace VDV, at least in my mind to replace him, I like Sig the most. Most technical and creative and with a solid midfield of Sandro and Dembele I think we need a good passer. I think Holtby has shown little barring a few energetic cameos. Not writing him off at all and would certainly like to see him deep but that's how I see things at the moment.

I think Holtby will ultimately eclipse and replace Dembele as the more box-to-box of our 3 CMs. The great thing about him though is that he's also tenacious enough to cover for Sandro and good enough with the ball to fill in as the ballplayer.

I'm sure some others thought that he would be scoring a lot more goals than he has. I think until a player arrives with the club, it's hard to judge him and how he will fit in, especially when the player signed comes from a club outside of the UK and perhaps isn't fantastic on Football Manager. Too many posters with too little knowledge of the game outside of the UK but who want to feel important and so pretend to know what a player is like before spectacularly embarrassing themselves with their hopelessly wrong forecast of the player's potential success or failure with us.

That is the problem with some fans.

Yup, it's as if Football Manager isn't really a computer game but instead some all seeing eye which casts a glance across the land and instantly evaluates the strengths and weaknesses of players exactly.

I don't doubt that Football Manager is well sourced, with a good scouting network, but it can be wrong. I can remember plenty of examples over time of players that the game forecast would be excellent and who then turned in to anything but. David Prutton is one example that I can pull out of the air, excellent defensive midfielder who would always go on to represent England and yet, in reality I barely noticed him.

Yup, it's as if Football Manager isn't really a computer game but instead some all seeing eye which casts a glance across the land and instantly evaluates the strengths and weaknesses of players exactly.

I don't doubt that Football Manager is well sourced, with a good scouting network, but it can be wrong. I can remember plenty of examples over time of players that the game forecast would be excellent and who then turned in to anything but. David Prutton is one example that I can pull out of the air, excellent defensive midfielder who would always go on to represent England and yet, in reality I barely noticed him.
Holtby is decent on FM though :p

Agree, one of the big problems is that there are so many FANS who think football in the real world is as simple as pushing a few buttons on a game. Hence the way they are always groaning about managers not knowing what they are doing.

Back