• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Our problem up front isn't the players IMO its the system..... Giving Bale a free reign to take up the space normally occupied by VDV. bales goal was a replica of a goal VDV scored last year (I can't remember the game) and he takes so much space up in the middle that would be "owned" by the number 10.

On the case of Defoe I thought he had a good game when he was passed to rather than passed by. And his goal was not an easy Finish one adebayour would have missed IMO.

He has flaws but who doesn't in our team. We really had no be better today to play in hat position and he did well

Defoe impressed me today, he worked hard although he did make mistakes. I think the chance that he had when he received the ball up top on the right hand side of their box, Gareth Bale was across on the left, Defoe should have turned right and held up the ball. I know that Defoe doesn't have a lot of body strength but I feel with his back to the other player, it would have been hard for the one defender to get the ball off him without fouling him. Instead, Defoe tried to cut in to try and score when realistically it was never going to happen.

Exactly EL G.

Defoe is not Adebayor who can hold the ball up or link play but what he can do is do what he did today ie opportunistically take a chance and score.

Dont blame Defoe for not getting into the game as much, thats down to the likes of VDV, Modric, Lennon and Bale to work the ball to him and unfortunately until the last 20 mins we couldnt.

Ultimately though Defoe is not Adebayor but is a better finisher.

Defoe is getting blames for being poor totday when everybody knows he has never ever been effective fior Spurs playing upfront on his own. He plays better with a partner and where the fuk was VDV? He was not playing upfront or even just behind Defoe and he was contributed nothing in midfield.

VDV was pretty much anonymous to me except for the stupid long range shot that he took on. At the moment he is playing well below what he is capable of and I would truly consider dropping him to play Defoe and Adebayor together against Wigan.

No way I would start Defoe ahead of VdV. Rafa is better at every aspect of the game, including finishing which is meant to be Defoe's stregnth!!

Yet Defoe has a return of 12 goals in 24 matches, he is most likely player on our books to get a goal. All VDV did today was to take a stupid shot from 35 yards. It is not like VDV has been scoring goals for fun recently

Maybe if Spurs has actually bought a quality striker in the summer maybe Defoe would not have to play upfront on his own

VDV was pretty much anonymous to me except for the stupid long range shot that he took on. At the moment he is playing well below what he is capable of and I would truly consider dropping him to play Defoe and Adebayor together against Wigan.

100% with you on that

As Gutterboy said earlier VDV was coming deep for the ball.... However he saw that as a positive. I don't.

If your a supporting striker, support the striker, don't drift here there and everywhere. Rely on people to do there jobs and do yours.

However VDVs game has been hampered a lot by Bale coming in all the time.... Keep him wide and it creates space for us to exploit

Anonomous, yet when he came off he'd covered more ground than anyone on the pitch by a clear half mile?

Good calls the both of you, Steff and DHSF. No doubt it was unluckly, as is every miss unless done deliberately. But as I saw it, Defoe mistimed the run completely, started way too late, slowed down to stay onside even if Bale was running full speed two yards ahead of him. Bale had no chance of reaching him in his position, and had no other place to put the pass. If anything it was a fragment too hard, but it still had to beat Hart. I don't think Bale could have passed earlier either, as Defoe would have been caught out before the pass had reached him.

Sure it was unlucky, and at such a crucial time, but he should absolutely have gotten to it IMHO. But I won't hold it against him in any way, as said those things happen.

[video=youtube;mRDbkVYu5sY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRDbkVYu5sY[/video]
Bloody hell, had he scored that I would have gone absolutely crackers!

Anonomous, yet when he came off he'd covered more ground than anyone on the pitch by a clear half mile?

And? Anyone can cover ground. What ground was he covering and what did it achieve? I think you'd find that Zidane never covered an enormous amount of ground, but what he DID cover was devastating. Why can you just not admit that today, Rafael van Der Vaart had a poor game by his standards and the standards expected of him?

As Gutterboy said earlier VDV was coming deep for the ball.... However he saw that as a positive. I don't.

If your a supporting striker, support the striker, don't drift here there and everywhere. Rely on people to do there jobs and do yours.

However VDVs game has been hampered a lot by Bale coming in all the time.... Keep him wide and it creates space for us to exploit

And when Bale comes in, look for the channels, the pockets, the danger areas, don't drift deep, show up 35 yards outside the box and try to crack one! One passage of play saw Defoe win an ariel ball, hold it, turn away from two men, steam forwards, feed VdV who proceeded to immediately lash the ball wildly into row J, when normal Rafa would've made better use of the opportunity...

Because running around doing nothing is better then walking around getting involved?

VdV gave a very mature, disciplined, performance. We were not playing our regular 4-4-1-1 with VdV supporting Defoe, we were clearly playing a 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 with Modric and VdV slightly ahead of Parker in central midfield to match City and their 3 man midfield + wingers cutting inside to deny them space. Only need to think back to the home game to remember what happens if you don't try to shut down the central midfield against City.

Bale and to a lesser extent Lennon were given more freedom to get up and support Defoe.

VdV gave a very mature, disciplined, performance. We were not playing our regular 4-4-1-1 with VdV supporting Defoe, we were clearly playing a 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 with Modric and VdV slightly ahead of Parker in central midfield to match City and their 3 man midfield + wingers cutting inside to deny them space. Only need to think back to the home game to remember what happens if you don't try to shut down the central midfield against City.

Bale and to a lesser extent Lennon were given more freedom to get up and support Defoe.

You jest

Some of our best this season has come from interplay between our attacking midfielders. We would not be half as effective as a team and a lot easier to defend against if Bale stuck to three left, Lennon to the right and VdV ten yards behind our most advanced player.

Not at all.

He wasn't playing a supporting striker role, he wasn't even playing as an attacking midfielder. He was playing a deeper role and did so well. One overly ambitious strike from range doesn't change that.

VdV, Modric and Parker kept our midfield tight and denied City space to play. There were around 3 instances (that I remember) where City found a lot of space between our midfield and attack while VdV was on the pitch, one of them lead to the goal. Other than that our midfield was solid and doing it's job. VdV ran himself into the ground covering space, getting back and doing his job. He also tried offensively, but it didn't really come off. Not down to him at all though, we lacked a focal point up front and both Bale and Lennon had average days going forward. He wasn't as good as Modric who was excellent, but an all round good, solid, mature performance.

That to me is a mature performance. Not sure what some of you expected from him? His normal supporting role up alongside the striker? Clearly not the role Harry wanted him to play and imo clearly not what we needed from him on the day.

Back