• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Manager Sack Watch

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport
First thing first - Pochettino will be doing a press conference at 2:30pm - with an interpreter - he doesn't speak English !

Not sure if true, would make the situation even more laughable though.

:ross: what the fook

like others have said, feel sorry for the fans of the big club on the south coast

thought Adkins was doing a decent job and seems a fine fella

madness

Nigel Adkins has best win % of any manager in So'ton history. Rise of 48 places in league pyramid in 26 months under him.

Think there could be similarities to Ashley sacking Hughton to bring in his mate Pardew here.

There were rumours a couple of months back, but I thought he had turned it around. Even gotten some distance to the bottom 3.

Exactly what I was thinking. He looked in trouble and I hoped they'd give him more time as they had some good performances in losing efforts (e.g. against the Manchester clubs). Now when he has them moving in the right direction and out of the relegation zone they sack him. Bizarre.

Not actually thinking this is a terrible decision, and wouldn't be surprised if it paid off handsomely for Southampton. The only problem is, he doesn't speak English. However if they can get a new manager bounce Ramos style to stay up this season, and he can learn it well enough for them next season, he could do very well. It's clear that like Levy, Cortese wanted someone more in tune with his vision and that is ultimately a good reason to sack someone, for the long term good. This guy did good things with Espanyol's youth set up, he has been praised for his tactics and is highly rated in Spain with Guardiola being a fan. If they can stay up this year I reckon they've got a good chance of establishing themselves in the league next year under him.

I actually think the new manager bounce comes a lot from a change in playing style which takes opponents off guard, the same players are being deployed in slightly different ways and the margins shift a bit in the team's favour, with opponents taking a while to figure out how to combat the new way of playing. Couple that with the more psychological elements with everyone being keen to impress and they could well stay up. Unfortunate for Adkins but his reputation won't have suffered, he's got a nice pay off and will probably get another good job. I'm not sure it will be in the PL but a Championship club with ambition will snap him up no problem if he doesn't get a top flight job.

Back