• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Capello Resigns / New England Manager Speculation Thread

Aye. Mourinho won't happen because we won't (rightly) shell out for massive wages. He loves his reputation and I can't see he'd want to damage it by taking on the big spenders in the PL with Spurs and failing.

Its that element of his reputation I think might bother him - "Can only do it with big spenders"

It might suit his ego to 'do it' on less resource as the ultimate 'fudge you' to any detractors

Moyes... TERRIBLE football. You can kind of take that with Jose because he wins things (and Real actually play pretty nice stuff at the moment) but after the riches we've had in recent seasons it would be painful to see our Spurs play the Moyes way. I'd like to see a gamble taken on someone like Brendan Rodgers but I doubt they star players would accept that - so it's got to be a 'name' I guess.

Agree RE Moyes. Doesnt spend (big) money well at all, only really operates well (brilliantly even) on a shoestring with no expectation on style etc.

Would be a disaster with us IMHO.

However, I still feel Mourinho is wrongly labelled as having his teams play unattractive football. It happens, of course, but generally I think his sides are fascinating and play well

FA PRESS CONFERENCE
FA chairman David Bernstein: "Popular opinion will matter. We want to make an appointment that the public are positive about but we can't be driven by that.

"You have to do it professionally and with an open mind and you have to put a short list together, we also have to bear in mind the wishes of the supporters."

FA PRESS CONFERENCE
FA chairman David Bernstein: "The new manager will not definitely be English, but there is a preference for an English or a British person. At the end we want the best person, but an English person would have a good start."

Its blatant tapping up, and the media have acted shamefully

It awful. Has really tinkled me off. Going on BBC Sport website to see Lineker talking about how Harry is the perfect fit for England. Even if the club is pragmatic about not wishing to block Harry joining England this timing and the behaviour of the media and players is quite outrageous. Imagine if Spurs came out and said Harry's off to England so we want to speak to Moyes, O'Neill, Rodgers, etc etc. Just so improper, and I hope Levy is addressing this in whatever way he can. In any case I hope we smash Toon on weekend.

How is winning a Champions League, an FA Cup, and finishing just four points behind the leaders turning a talented pool of players into a directionless team of turkeys? As for Inter, he was the manager after Mourinho; That's the hardest job in world football. You're constantly compared to him, by both the fans and by the players. He tried to play a high line and implement a pressing system in order to better retain and distribute possession, as opposed to Mou's 10-1-0 formation with the emphasis on the deep defensive line and the quick cover. The problem was that he didn't have the players required to do it. Both Lucio and Samuel were slow, aging centre-backs, and were unsuited to the game he was trying to play. He tried to rectify that by asking for a few players, but Moratti denied him the funds. Then he suffered a horrendous spate of injuries, and then had to watch the one pacy player in his back-line, Maicon, have his confidence destroyed by a superhuman Bale effort. Not much of that is his fault, I'd wager. In fact, the high-pressing system he tried to implement would work much better in the PL, and with us in particular; we have the pace in the back-four to pull off what Inter couldn't.
mate are you a mentalist? What people are correctly saying is that Benitez had a good team when he took over enabling them to make those achievements...and let's not forget how flukey they were in beating chelscum and ac Milan when they won the cl!! Louis tarcia's goal that never was ring any bells? By the time he left Benitez had all but turned liverpoo into a mid table side, finishing 7th. Do I want him at spurs fudge NO!!!!!

Benitez is a strange character, would alienate half the squad, and would want to spend big himself to bring his own players in

no

Can't some teletext users tell all the ogres to fcuk right off and see if they'll report that too?

Imagine is the Scottish position became available tomorrow - would Rooney say SAF was the perfect fit in the middle of their title campaign?

Or Wenger for France?

Benitez is a strange character, would alienate half the squad, and would want to spend big himself to bring his own players in

no

Biggest problem with him, well alongside his boring football and persistence with zonal marking regardless of the consequences. Stubborn

Benitez?
WTF seriously?
Did any of you ever try to watch his Liverpool team play?
Turgid defensive boring football playing the percentages with 9 men behind the ball and 2 attacking players.
He's a more glamorous Sam Allardyce.

Tottenham Hotspur have a tradition of attacking football.
Even Levy and his commercial people are trying to use this as a brand http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15017076
There's no way Benitez fits with any of this. IT would jus tbe George fudging Graham and Santani all over again.

Benitez is never a Tottenham manager and even suggesting this you have to question your knowledge of either Tottenham's history and tradition, or the way Benitiez's teams play football.
Benitez is a good manager but comes across as a right prock in his posts tech interviews. Did you see some of the football his title winning Valencia team played?

Biggest problem with him, well alongside his boring football and persistence with zonal marking regardless of the consequences. Stubborn

That and the fact his transfer policy is fraqnkly bonkers.

He buys and sells more players than any manager Ive seen, often inexplicably. And yet Harry is apparently the wheeler dealer

Its blatant tapping up, and the media have acted shamefully

this is going to be a problem and a distraction from now till the end of the season/until the new manager is named

every Spurs press conference, interviews, teletext, football related shows will not stop until Redknapp is given the chance to accept or turn down the job.

it will be hard for the players to focus amongst all the hysteria to come

Benitez?
WTF seriously?
Did any of you ever try to watch his Liverpool team play?
Turgid defensive boring football playing the percentages with 9 men behind the ball and 2 attacking players.
He's a more glamorous Sam Allardyce.

Tottenham Hotspur have a tradition of attacking football.
Even Levy and his commercial people are trying to use this as a brand http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15017076
There's no way Benitez fits with any of this. IT would jus tbe George fudging Graham and Santani all over again.

Benitez is never a Tottenham manager and even suggesting this you have to question your knowledge of either Tottenham's history and tradition, or the way Benitiez's teams play football.

Hmm...you know, Mourinho's Inter really was a defensive beast. That Inter side was indestructible when arrayed in two banks of four on the edge of the penalty area. Gosh, so utterly defensive. But we still won against them at the lane and gave them a real fright at the San Siro. How the hell did that happen? We beat the ultra-defensive European champions, managed by ultra-ultra-ultra defensive Rafa Benitez? I guess the reason we lost 4-3 and won 3-1 is because we played better than a hybrid of Barcelona and 70's Ajax, zipping the ball around at light speed and reaching a destination before we'd set off, our superman-like laser vision burning through the swarms of black and blue shirts.

Or it could be because they played a really high line against us. You know, their back four on the half-way line, closing down opponents near the center circle? Recycling possession from mid-way, much like Barca do? trying to play a fluent pass-and-press game? Gosh, they really looked like they were trying to play a high line and only put four defenders near the center circle, leaving the rest free to advance further up the pitch. I could have sworn that was why Bale blazed through them with such ease; because they were actually trying to attack.Because they weren't sitting back, and were willing to go forward leaving gaps in their back-line. True, that tactic didn't appear to work, but that seemed only to be the case because their defenders were slow as molasses. If they were faster, it could have been a beautifully fast-paced system, much like our own. But I guess I just imagined all that. No, no way Sam Allardyce Mk2 was trying to change his tactics to be more adventurous. He doesn't work that way. He's Park The Bus Rafa! Only plays for a draw! or a 1-0 win! you know, 1-0 to the liverpool and all that? Except all those times when they beat teams 4, 5, 6, 7, even 8-0 of course. Those were aberrations. All those resounding wins against the likes of Madrid, Besiktas and Marseille? pfft! pah! Insignificant! The fact that he introduced a radically different attacking approach when he joined Valencia? Pah! unfounded rumours. All those intricate, incisive passing movements that so harried PL defenses and allowed Torres, Gerrard et al to score hatloads? Not for me, oh no sir! Rafa is a defensive dullard, and you can strike me down if I'm wrong, yes-sir-ree!

Or maybe we won because Benitez was trying to implement an attacking approach, the same way he implemented one at Valencia and the same way he led Liverpool to score 77 goals in the 2008-2009 PL season, something we haven't managed in the PL era to date, unless I'm mistaken. He's not a defensive coach; he's an organized one. If you label all organized coaches as defensive, then every game in the PL would finish either 1-0 or 0-0, with the exception of ours which would finish 566565333-4454544.

Harry Redknapp on England: "I was shocked and I was surprised [about Capello's resigntaion]. We knew he would leave in the summer but didn't expect it to happen now.

"Tottenham is my team and the fans have been fantastic. It wouldn't be right to focus on anything else other than Spurs. That's my focus."

What else would anyone expect him to be saying at this stage?

Benitez is a good manager but comes across as a right prock in his posts tech interviews. Did you see some of the football his title winning Valencia team played?
So you mean that he last had a team playing good football nearly ten years ago? BTW that was Hector Cuper's team he did that with!!

Can understand why Harry would want the job, if sucesseful would be the pinnacle of his career. However I cant see him taking it, from my point of view he would miss the day to day input and running of a team. Either way nothing but love for the bloke

this is going to be a problem and a distraction from now till the end of the season/until the new manager is named

every Spurs press conference, interviews, teletext, football related shows will not stop until Redknapp is given the chance to accept or turn down the job.

it will be hard for the players to focus amongst all the hysteria to come

This is a real fear, not as bad as Harry leaving now but nevertheless a real one. I just hope we really perform saturday to lay down a marker, we cannot let this season falter because of this mess.

Back