• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

That would be fine. But it is the clubs that pay the agents fees not the players in the modern era.

And what’s the problem with that?

Let’s say it’s Mendes’ influence that helps a player decide to come to us versus somewhere else, has he not played a role in benefitting us as a broker and would he not deserve to be compensated for that?

Like, I’m just trying to get to the tangible issues with it. Really great brokers in any form can be the difference between securing the thing you want and not, if you use the right one (I am one in my own field so I would say this…) so I’m just trying to get to the bottom of what makes Mendes in particular so bad. I’d understand the concern about players being forced in or out of our club against our wishes, but I also just don’t think that’s realistic.

Let’s say it’s Mendes’ influence that helps a player decide to come to us versus somewhere else, has he not played a role in benefitting us as a broker and would he not deserve to be compensated for that?

Like, I’m just trying to get to the tangible issues with it. Really great brokers in any form can be the difference between securing the thing you want and not, if you use the right one (I am one in my own field so I would say this…) so I’m just trying to get to the bottom of what makes Mendes in particular so bad. I’d understand the concern about players being forced in or out of our club against our wishes, but I also just don’t think that’s realistic.

Because you have agents like raiola getting paid €25m for a single transfer. That money has gone out of the game. If players had to pay their agents, they might think "hold on a minute, is he really worth that much? I could just hire a good lawyer for €500 an hour."

Because you have agents like raiola getting paid €25m for a single transfer. That money has gone out of the game. If players had to pay their agents, they might think "hold on a minute, is he really worth that much? I could just hire a good lawyer for €500 an hour."

Yeah but that doesn't work in the real world. Despite all the bulshît that is supposed to happen, business is worked through relationships.

Yeah but that doesn't work in the real world. Despite all the bulshît that is supposed to happen, business is worked through relationships.

It works in the music industry. Singers and that pay their agent fees.so do actors. For some reason football is different.

It works in the music industry. Singers and that pay their agent fees.so do actors. For some reason football is different.

Um... I don't work in the music industry. But isn't it renowned for exploitative contracts. With even absolute legends like Prince having to change his name to a symbol to get out of them, forget about the up and coming artists

Um... I don't work in the music industry. But isn't it renowned for exploitative contracts. With even absolute legends like Prince having to change his name to a symbol to get out of them, forget about the up and coming artists

In the same way ronaldo was a "slave" at utd when madrid wanted him. But that is a different discussion.
I'm saying that if the agent works for the player. The player should be the one that pays their fee. Not the club. The transfer fee should be arranged between the clubs and the agents should not get a percentage. That way the player knows how much the agent is being paid and also that the agent works for their interests not the clubs or their own.
Then i believe you might see a lot more of the dele and de bruynes, deciding that they don't need an agent. Just a lawyer for negotiations with the clubs.

Last edited:
N.E.S.
Can help but think Nintendo, yes I am that old!!
Hope he turns out to be the SNES.
Super Nuno Entertainment System. Nice.
Presumably we will just shout Nuuuuuuunooooo to the 'tune' of Yiiiiiddddoooo Yiiiiiddddoooo Yiiiiiddddoooo.
There's no way your average Spurs fan will be able to pronounce his full name after a few pints.

Think someone needs to make an agents thread. Look on this post to see if anything interesting has been said regarding the new manager and all i see is song suggestions and agent debates.

Separate point on Nuno: I wonder whether he might used Dele in a front 3 alongside Kane and Son (assuming Kane's still around) in a 3-4-3?

I dont rate Dele as a midfielder, and was thinking that he wouldnt fit in under Nuno given he hasnt played with a no 10 at Wolves, but in a flexible front 3 he might work

Separate point on Nuno: I wonder whether he might used Dele in a front 3 alongside Kane and Son (assuming Kane's still around) in a 3-4-3?

I dont rate Dele as a midfielder, and was thinking that he wouldnt fit in under Nuno given he hasnt played with a no 10 at Wolves, but in a flexible front 3 he might work

He didn’t use a back 3/5 at Porto or all the time at Valencia, so he’s not completely wedded to that formation.
Anything with 2 in the middle though, there’s absolutely no way he’d play Dele there, he demands defensive work above all else from the sitting 2. If it was a 352 if see him using N’Dombele there as the most advanced/adventurous MF as he looked good whenever I saw him.
He does seem to like the idea of 4231 as well though, so there’s hope for Dele in that as a pure 10.
Get the feeling he’ll love Hojberg though. Just praying he doesn’t come on the poach for Neves next to him, as that would be a perfect centre mid blend. Large part of Wolves problems apart from the loss of Jimenez, was no legs in the middle.
Neves is very defensively switched on and hard working, but no pace or stature (Dendoncker lacks aggression and nous to be that perfect foil).

Nuno's team

Ian joins as Assistant Head Coach having previously worked as part of Nuno’s backroom team at Wolverhampton Wanderers, Rio Ave and Valencia. He also held a similar role at Saudi Sportswashing Machine and spent time as Head Coach of Heart of Midlothian.

Rui takes up the position of Goalkeeper Coach while Antonio joins as Fitness Coach, with both having previously been a part of Nuno’s backroom team at a number of his former clubs.

There's many ethical problems with modern agents. First of all, they work for players but they're paid by clubs. Hardly ideal. Second of all, they're supposed to defend their clients' interests but, sometimes, they enjoy strong relationship with this or that club and they 'convince' their clients that it's in their best interests to move there, even if it isn't.

You can't have it both ways, unless you're a football agent. I also read a couple of papers about some very dodgy clauses and kickbacks. Mendes isn't the first of his kind, though. Bernes was a kingmaker in France in the 90s, even after he was banned from football for life, if I remember correctly. Some would say it's the nature of the game but you can't really blame FIFA for trying to put a stop to that. A couple of years ago, 7 billion dollars were spent on transfer fees in the world. I think about 700 millions went to agents and less than 70m were given to the clubs who trained the players themselves.

Mendes isn't any better or worse than another agent. It's just that he's got a much bigger portfolio of clients and that gives him more power than Kane's brother, for instance.

Back