• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

Don’t think he had lost before today iirc
Today was about a mistake
These games are always fine margins

Mate, they played in Europe, won comprehensively, presumably had the fatigue from that, and still beat us without us ever really threatening them (aside from two headers in the first half).

Nuno threw the Vitesse game, had the full team rest and prepare for a week, and we didn't look as good as them, never mind better.

Fair enough, fine margins, but the guy has zero excuse for not even matching them - which I honestly don't think we did, even as it was a grim game overall.

Why is this bloke our manager? is it because we got told to fudge off by everyone else and he's mates with the "Don" ?

Cut the chord...

It just seems like a poor appointment I’m afraid. After Jose we needed a different philosophy, but this guys just cut from the same cloth. Not his fault he’s following Jose but he should never have been on the list.

Yep. The thing is, in principle, following a coach with another in the same style is a good way to keep the team functioning at a high level - you don't change things too much, and the team can gel quicker.

But you only do that if a) you were playing well in the old style to begin with, and b) this is a style you want to keep going forward.

We were playing atrociously under Mourinho. And the style is *not* worth keeping.

In that light, it might have been better to choose a radically different coach just to close the chapter on the Mourinho experiment.

But, then, sporting considerations aren't top of our list, ever. How cheap any given option is, usually is. And Nuno was cheap, dirt cheap.

Mate, they played in Europe, won comprehensively, presumably had the fatigue from that, and still beat us without us ever really threatening them (aside from two headers in the first half).

Nuno threw the Vitesse game, had the full team rest and prepare for a week, and we didn't look as good as them, never mind better.

Fair enough, fine margins, but the guy has zero excuse for not even matching them - which I honestly don't think we did, even as it was a grim game overall.
I thought that was an even game or one we ended
Couldn’t see them scoring and they barely attacked us (yet had more shots on target weirdly)
But these games come down to mistakes. We made two for that goal
That’s not on the manager is it?
What hurt the game today was Lucas and Kane Bouncing the ball off them every touch
And slow build up which comes from playing a CM at 10 IMO

Big game, needs big characters......and no one shows up.

Not fully Nuno's fault but getting concerned by these no shows that are as bad if not worse than under Jose. Even when we win I am not left feeling confident going into the next game.

I thought that was an even game or one we ended
Couldn’t see them scoring and they barely attacked us (yet had more shots on target weirdly)
But these games come down to mistakes. We made two for that goal
That’s not on the manager is it?
What hurt the game today was Lucas and Kane Bouncing the ball off them every touch
And slow build up which comes from playing a CM at 10 IMO

They had more shots on target, mate. They also just looked more dangerous - not sure we got into the box as often as them, never mind anything else.

We did make mistakes for the goal, no argument there. But if Nuno's defense is that we only lost because Reguilon made an error and Kane lost his man...what on Earth does he do? What difference does he make?

I don't expect to lose at West Ham in general, despite our horrible record against them in recent years. We are richer and have better players than them.

And, in this game, those advantages have to be added on to Nuno having a fully fit team, which had a week off to prepare for the game. Which he bought at the cost of throwing the second string out against Vitesse and seeing us lose there.

If, with all those advantages, we limply lose and his only excuse is that it was a player error...that ignores the fact, imo, that he failed to do anything with all the advantages he had over Moyes.

The guy just isn't working. We're coasting on the three wins from August - otherwise, we are looking *more* dire as the months go on, not less.

He's a nice guy, and I hope he lands on his feet somewhere else.

But he is just not a good coach. Never was, as evidenced by his record and the way he left Wolves. At his best in the PL, he took an expensively assembled Wolves side to 8th. Is that what we want?

I know you rate him because of his Valencia tenure, mate (at least, I think you do). And fair enough, he may have been brilliant there, a long time ago. I just don't think this is the right horse for us to back. :(

They had more shots on target, mate. They also just looked more dangerous - not sure we got into the box as often as them, never mind anything else.

We did make mistakes for the goal, no argument there. But if Nuno's defense is that we only lost because Reguilon made an error and Kane lost his man...what on Earth does he do? What difference does he make?

I don't expect to lose at West Ham in general, despite our horrible record against them in recent years. We are richer and have better players than them.

And, in this game, those advantages have to be added on to Nuno having a fully fit team, which had a week off to prepare for the game. Which he bought at the cost of throwing the second string out against Vitesse and seeing us lose there.

If, with all those advantages, we limply lose and his only excuse is that it was a player error...that ignores the fact, imo, that he failed to do anything with all the advantages he had over Moyes.

The guy just isn't working. We're coasting on the three wins from August - otherwise, we are looking *more* dire as the months go on, not less.

He's a nice guy, and I hope he lands on his feet somewhere else.

But he is just not a good coach. Never was, as evidenced by his record and the way he left Wolves. At his best in the PL, he took an expensively assembled Wolves side to 8th. Is that what we want?

I know you rate him because of his Valencia tenure, mate (at least, I think you do). And fair enough, he may have been brilliant there, a long time ago. I just don't think this is the right horse for us to back. :(
They had more shots but Hugo made one decent save and it was the deflection
We (IMO) we’re controlling the game but creating nothing (saw that loads under Poch don’t forget)
I don’t disagree Nuno isn’t the horse to back. As I said earlier, he is here to transition us to the next man IMO
Just gonna add that Nunos record so far is better than Pochs was like for like too

They had more shots but Hugo made one decent save and it was the deflection
We (IMO) we’re controlling the game but creating nothing (saw that loads under Poch don’t forget)
I don’t disagree Nuno isn’t the horse to back. As I said earlier, he is here to transition us to the next man IMO
Just gonna add that Nunos record so far is better than Pochs was like for like too

And Fabianski made one decent save and that was the Kane header. It was a grim game, no doubt, but they were just better than us, imo.

I also don't think we were controlling the game much. Did it look like we were ever assured, confident of winning? Honestly, that was them, not us - they looked like they basically knew the goal would come, while we looked tetchy, nervous, hurried.

We had a lot of possession and passed it up and down. Not the same as being in control - and as for Poch, I don't think we were 'in control' much in the late Poch era too. Yes in 2015/2016 and 2016/2017 - that was control. Domination, even. Sometimes the same in 2017/2018. But by 2018/2019, we had totally lost control of games - it was either basketball where we went back and forth and usually won late on due to sheer bloody-mindedness, or just aimless possession that never went anywhere. Like today.

Difference was, Poch had credit in the bank. Nuno has none.

I agree with you in that Nuno is a stand-in, a pair of hands until the next guy gets here. My opinion is, Gallardo is available come December - Paratici should already be out in Argentina negotiating his contract. If Nuno is here until then, whatever - if not, sack him and get Mason in again. But we have to accelerate the change to the next guy, because Nuno isn't working.

He isn't even using the young 'uns well, which I was looking forward to as one benefit of having this ambitionless stand-in for the next guy. Tanganga's out of the team, Gil's out, Scarlett is being thrown into second-string sides and getting long balls lobbed at him all game....what's the point?

And Fabianski made one decent save and that was the Kane header. It was a grim game, no doubt, but they were just better than us, imo.

I also don't think we were controlling the game much. Did it look like we were ever assured, confident of winning? Honestly, that was them, not us - they looked like they basically knew the goal would come, while we looked tetchy, nervous, hurried.

We had a lot of possession and passed it up and down. Not the same as being in control - and as for Poch, I don't think we were 'in control' much in the late Poch era too. Yes in 2015/2016 and 2016/2017 - that was control. Domination, even. Sometimes the same in 2017/2018. But by 2018/2019, we had totally lost control of games - it was either basketball where we went back and forth and usually won late on due to sheer bloody-mindedness, or just aimless possession that never went anywhere. Like today.

Difference was, Poch had credit in the bank. Nuno has none.

I agree with you in that Nuno is a stand-in, a pair of hands until the next guy gets here. My opinion is, Gallardo is available come December - Paratici should already be out in Argentina negotiating his contract. If Nuno is here until then, whatever - if not, sack him and get Mason in again. But we have to accelerate the change to the next guy, because Nuno isn't working.

He isn't even using the young 'uns well, which I was looking forward to as one benefit of having this stand-in for the next guy. Tanganga's out of the team, Gil's out, Scarlett is being thrown into second-string sides and getting long balls lobbed at him all game....what's the point?
We have the second youngest side in the league now I believe so we are using younger players
Poch had no credit after 10 league games and thought he would get the sack (it’s in his book) but people quickly forget
What I saw today was a team that were happy with the ball but passed it around without an edge vs a team that just wanted to play quick ping balls and fight. The goal we conceded came from that in effect as Reggie did brilliant to win the ball and then lost the battle and we know the corner was scored that way
It was the only way they were gonna score
We IMO we’re only ever scoring with a cross too but they needed to be better balls.

@DubaiSpur my mate wasn’t watching and askswd me to describe the first half. I said we edged the first half and should be half a goal up
Second half just before they scored I said their sitting in looking to counter like we used to under Jose. That’s how I described the game

@DubaiSpur my mate wasn’t watching and askswd me to describe the first half. I said we edged the first half and should be half a goal up
Second half just before they scored I said their sitting in looking to counter like we used to under Jose. That’s how I described the game

Yes, they're a very Jose style team. They're hard to break down and obviously without any creativity in our front 3 or two CMs, its going to be hard to create chances

I didnt feel that we deserved to lose today and neither did they. 0-0 would have been a fair representation of the game

Was Poch really that close to the sack? I remember an indifferent start but can't remember a clamour for him to be fired. Maybe I've got rose tinted glasses on.

We weren't bad today and deserved a point. But what's damning on Nuno is that we were so ponderous that we never looked like scoring and he did nothing to change that. The subs were a reaction to going behind rather than trying to win the game.

He deserves time now we've appointed him but I can't see that this is going anywhere good.

Last edited:
Yes, they're a very Jose style team. They're hard to break down and obviously without any creativity in our front 3 or two CMs, its going to be hard to create chances

I didnt feel that we deserved to lose today
I agree (and you and I don’t agree often)
Comes down to mistakes and taking chances as just seen in the United game
They took their chance
We didn’t

Was Poch really that close to the sack? I remember an indifferent start but can't remember a clamour for him to be fired. Maybe I've got rose tinted glasses on.

We weren't bad today and deserved a point. But what's damming on Nuno is that we were so ponderous that we never looked like scoring and he did nothing to change that. The subs were a reaction to going behind rather than trying to win the game.

He deserves time now we've appointed him but I can't see that this is going anywhere good.
He thought he was
I’ve posted his first 10 game record on here before because it’s quickly forgotten as you say
Someone even told me you could see his style vs city in that period … we got spanked
And I say that whilst also adding that Nuno is IMO here for a season, maybe 2
I think we know who we want next but they wanted another year at their club
And no manager joins on a one year deal (even Sherwood)

254A3426-FF19-4BEA-9F73-97C7FD7C4BBA.png

@DubaiSpur I’ll look at how their xG is high later but these stats to me show a team that had the ball (something our fans wanted) which people said is controlling the game (when it goes against us they do).
The only stat that matters though in this case is goals scored

We weren't bad today and deserved a point. But what's damming on Nuno is that we were so ponderous that we never looked like scoring and he did nothing to change that. The subs were a reaction to going behind rather than trying to win the game.

7E639881-5CA3-4591-9BEB-F7D41F9082D9.png

This is well worth a look and a “refresh”

Back