• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

What are your overall thoughts on his appointment as manger? And him as a manger for that matter?

I remember you being one of only a few people that really wanted poch in (and that proved very right), I liked poch (at Southampton) but wanted Benitez at the time.
I think it's a fine enough appointment. Clearly wasn't our first choice, and I think I can understand why, at least to some extent.

Bit underwhelming, but fine. Not quite sure yet what to make of him given how tumultuous his start has been. I'm not convinced he has it in him to make us better than the sum of our parts long term, but he deserves the chance to show that he can. If the best he can do is make us as good as the sum of our parts that too will be progress. But we really need that ability to make us better than the sum of our parts given our financial situation.

I like him as a person (from what we get to see), that has value. He has a decent track record of making players better, that's really valuable.

He seems on board with signing mostly younger players, developing them along with young players already here like Skipp, Tanganga, hopefully in time Sessegnon, Scarlett etc. That's really good.

Let's see. I realise that what I would like to have seen at this point is difficult to achieve, fully on board with him being given time to prove himself.

Didnt know where to post this, and I'm a fully-signed up sceptic to the XG stuff, but....

I'm never sure what XG counts as a chance, but there have been at least four balls to the back post in our opening matches which have seen runners fail to literally tap home from 3-6 yards out? Sitters I think they'd be called? I know it isn't enough to send the ol' XG rocketing, but I am not sure in isolation it tells a complete picture.

Just to say, I don't deny we have chance-creation issues!

This is the state we're in currently. It's a bit scary imo.
View attachment 12769

A bit? It’s completely unacceptable. We’ve played Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project who are tough to create open chances against. I fully expect them to be first and second respectively this season. But, we’ve also played Watford, and Palace neither of which we should have struggled to create chances against, and a Wolves team who have a good squad but let’s face it, they won’t finish top six which is where we should be targeting.

I was listening to the Totally Football podcast earlier, apparently:

Pep [best manager in the world, with a billion pound budget] has no striker, played Sterling up front and didn't have a single shot on target at home against Southampton until the 90th minute, should have had a penalty against them, and drew 0-0. These things happen, but if that was Spurs and Nuno some of you would be calling for his head.

Brendan Rodgers [a manager many on here think is far superior to Nuno] stumbled on a winning formula last February and played both Vardy and Iheanacho up top. This year he has reverted to just Vardy, or Vardy flanked by Barnes and Maddison. It isn't working, they have lost 3 of 5 and just got beat by Brighton. Why did they buy Daka if they aren't going to play him? These things happen, but if that was Spurs and Nuno some of you would be calling for his head.

Graham Potter [a manager loved by most] admitted that his team are playing the same as last year but have just got the rub of the green this year e.g. against Leicester they were fortunate to get a penalty and have 2 Leicester goals rightly chalked off by VAR, there are such fine margins in this game.

The new Gooner keeper Ramsdale apparently hasn't let in a goal yet this season, but if Spurs don't score away at the Goons you lot will be up in arms. When we've failed and failed and failed again at the Goonerdrome over the years.

It will take a few months to train this team and get them all playing the right way, let's wait and see what happens and keep our knees from jerking.

I agree with you but I noticed a problem we had with Reguilon and it seems to be quite often, that his passing or his decision making it could be is pretty atrocious. He is quick and can intercept the ball but when he makes his final decisions its either a long ball which then loses possession or its a pass that gets intercepted. I am starting to think that he is part of the problem and makes us lose possession more often than not.

I really don't know if it's his decision making or lack of ability but it is worrying. That decision when he could have shot against Chelsea or passed, he chose a poor ball. Just seems to be him all over.
Harry Brooks has pointed out repeatedly on twitter that he thinks Reguilon needs to learn how to slow down at times. I think that's spot on.

He tries to make things happen quickly even when it isn't really on. Decision making on when to slow down and when to try to make things happen quickly.

I'm never sure what XG counts as a chance, but there have been at least four balls to the back post in our opening matches which have seen runners fail to literally tap home from 3-6 yards out? Sitters I think they'd be called? I know it isn't enough to send the ol' XG rocketing, but I am not sure in isolation it tells a complete picture.

Just to say, I don't deny we have chance-creation issues!
Most certainly true. Then again, there surely have been situations where fine margins have prevented our opponents from creating chances.

Over a greater sample this kind of thing should even out more in the xG stats. Still early, but for me the stats so far seems to match quite well with what we've seen in the games. The City game perhaps the exception where we looked really threatening almost every time we counter attacked.

Our chance creation isn't good enough, perhaps not quite as bad as the xG numbers would have one think at first.

Pep [best manager in the world, with a billion pound budget] has no striker, played Sterling up front and didn't have a single shot on target at home against Southampton until the 90th minute, should have had a penalty against them, and drew 0-0. These things happen, but if that was Spurs and Nuno some of you would be calling for his head.

Brendan Rodgers [a manager many on here think is far superior to Nuno] stumbled on a winning formula last February and played both Vardy and Iheanacho up top. This year he has reverted to just Vardy, or Vardy flanked by Barnes and Maddison. It isn't working, they have lost 3 of 5 and just got beat by Brighton. Why did they buy Daka if they aren't going to play him? These things happen, but if that was Spurs and Nuno some of you would be calling for his head.

Graham Potter [a manager loved by most] admitted that his team are playing the same as last year but have just got the rub of the green this year e.g. against Leicester they were fortunate to get a penalty and have 2 Leicester goals rightly chalked off by VAR, there are such fine margins in this game.

The new Gooner keeper Ramsdale apparently hasn't let in a goal yet this season, but if Spurs don't score away at the Goons you lot will be up in arms. When we've failed and failed and failed again at the Goonerdrome over the years.

It will take a few months to train this team and get them all playing the right way, let's wait and see what happens and keep our knees from jerking.
I applaud the patience being shown.

There's a long way to go, I hope to see us build on that first half against Chelsea in the rather immediate future. I hope to see some progress to go with that patience.

I applaud the patience being shown.

There's a long way to go, I hope to see us build on that first half against Chelsea in the rather immediate future. I hope to see some progress to go with that patience.
The patience being shown? Why on earth should there even need to be patience, we are five league games into the season with a new manager having played Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea and sit seventh in the league - patience shouldn’t even be coming into it, just a dose of realism especially when looking at the state of our squad and time Nuno has had to work with them.

If you could show me all the managers outside the oil rich clubs (even without having to contend with the brickshow that Nuno has had to put up with) that have taken over a new team and things have just gone swimmingly from the start and continued in an upward trajectory I’d be keen to see them all, there aren’t many…..

Harry Brooks has pointed out repeatedly on twitter that he thinks Reguilon needs to learn how to slow down at times. I think that's spot on.

He tries to make things happen quickly even when it isn't really on. Decision making on when to slow down and when to try to make things happen quickly.
Thats a good point, now you mention it he is a fast paced player that doesn't really slow the ball down. Young, needs to learn. Let's hope he does.

Brighton's XG had them 5th last year, the only real big anomaly in the league. The likelihood was that if they continued playing the same way then they would do a lot better this season. That is why I am a little worried about our XG so far this season. I know that a few on here don't like it as a predictive tool. but it tends to be reasonably accurate over the long term.

Hopefully our XG is just a temporary blip, explained by us having a couple of hard games in our 5 so far. If our XG remains similar after 10 to 12 games though then I will be seriously worried.

I don't think anyone is looking for Nuno to be sacked. He is only here a short time and deserves more time.
However there's nothing wrong with pointing out areas of concern and there are a few.

This is the state we're in currently. It's a bit scary imo.
View attachment 12769

It is scary, however its 5 games. If stats are even anywhere like this come say December or January then we'll be in the bottom 6 and Nuno will be toast. The league table will tell you all you need to know without these stats

He needs to show some gradual improvement from now til then

I also fear for us trying to attract another manager between now and the end of the season given last Spring's fiasco. That said, if we can bring in another 2-3 young players next summer in the Romeo/Gil/Sarr type mould, I think the squad will be starting to look like it has a lot of potential and the role will be very attractive

I don't think anyone is looking for Nuno to be sacked. He is only here a short time and deserves more time.
However there's nothing wrong with pointing out areas of concern and there are a few.

Yeah I think it’d be unreasonable to want him out now or before the end of the season unless we have a complete disaster. He’s had only a few games and, who knows, perhaps he has a radically different style and way of playing in mind.

But there are concerns. And they’ve been there from the first few games. We’re bloody anaemic going forward and have been in every game. We have world class players at the top of the pitch but what’s in behind them look like they’re incapable of creating anything. Ndombele and Lo Celso are obvious exceptions but they’ve not been in the team for various reasons and Nuno has yet to show an ability to get a tune out of either of them. To be fair, he’s not the first manager who has had that problem but, at this stage, he’s got to show he can do something different to Jose or (end of reign) Poch. Saying “Poch and Jose struggled too” will result in the same fate for Nuno as those two suffered.

Based on what I’ve seen so far, we’re in the brick. A lot of that is circumstance that took root long before we appointed Nuno but he’s yet to show an ability to overcome any of the brickshow he’s inherited.

N ail on the head. We do seem to have a lot of fans who seem to like the knee jerking though.

Last edited:
A bit? It’s completely unacceptable. We’ve played Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project who are tough to create open chances against. I fully expect them to be first and second respectively this season. But, we’ve also played Watford, and Palace neither of which we should have struggled to create chances against, and a Wolves team who have a good squad but let’s face it, they won’t finish top six which is where we should be targeting.
Let's be accepting of the 9 pts it's got us.

Let's be accepting of the 9 pts it's got us.

The 9 points are great and I think, points wise, we're doing well this season. The problem is, and I said it at the time when we were winning and also last season when Jose had us top of the league, if you keep playing like that, results catch up with performances. We continue to play like this and we won't be taking anything like 9 points from every 15. We'll be lucky to take 3 or 4.

So by all means be grateful for what we have. But do not be fooled into thinking that if we keep doing what we're doing, we'll keep getting what we've gotten. We won't.

I am not sure this is Nuno as such, more the defensive coach.

But please can we sort out corners?

On Sunday we had Dele marking Thiago and last night we had Ndombele marking Dendoncker - I am sure you could find more examples of stupid marking if you looked.

If seems quite an easy thing to fix
I *think* (and I could be wrong here) our defensive system for set pieces is a mixture of man to man and zonal. It looks like we are leaving 2 or 3 defenders covering a zone and then other players to mark the players considered the opposition's best at attacking a set piece. I'd have to watch a few replays to see if this is correct but from my seat at the games that is how it has looked to me.

I am not sure this is Nuno as such, more the defensive coach.

But please can we sort out corners?

On Sunday we had Dele marking Thiago and last night we had Ndombele marking Dendoncker - I am sure you could find more examples of stupid marking if you looked.

If seems quite an easy thing to fix

TBF Thiagos was brilliant movement from him too. He came from nowhere and ran in
Last nights was a combination of poor defensive effort and the wrong man

Back