• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

That's the same conclusion JM arrived at except that he wasn't being polite.
Our players are crap essentially, I suspect more and more we need to get rid of Dele Winks Dier before things improve. Right now we are over compensating for some Levy favourites.
My concern is "the need to be compact before we score" (paraphrased) methodology. If you don't or can't, you are 1-0 down and chasing a game which might be closed out and leave yourself open to a counter.

We've got the tools upfront, and enough youth in our team to press high and chase a lead from the off - you're not going to concede a goal if the opponents can't get out of their half.

First half was OK, and the transition from back to front was quick and purposeful, second half was polar opposite - horrible to watch. If a team are trying to press back on us we seem to shrink and have no gonad*s for fight, to be brave. We drop further and further back and end up hoofing the ball for them to have another go until the inevitable.

Play higher at the back, condense the midfield, not the back line and use the width with pace it's not rocket salad is it?

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

We have been unable to deal with a low block and a high press since the time of Dembele's demise and Eriksen's downed tools. And even before that we struggled. The biggest reason we lost the league in 15/16 was our inability to beat the likes of West Brom, Stoke, Saudi Sportswashing Machine playing two banks of five. So let's be realistic, my friend. Even his exalted genius Signor Guardiola needed a year to get his system into a squad of infinitely better players and enable them to cut through teams playing the low block.

If you think Nuno is going to correct that long festering, gaping hole in 4 games, after a transfer window where the only creative addition was a 20 year old greenhorn coming from a different league, then I am sorry to say you are sorely deluded

I agree with your initial observations. And I agree that correcting this will take time.

I want progress though. It's still early, but some signs of progress. Getting Romero and Ndombele on the pitch helps, the first half against Chelsea was a step in the right direction, but not much more than a step, and the only real such step we've seen.

Crystal Palace showed better buildup play than us. I don't think their defenders or midfielders are much better then our lot. Palace are obviously not anywhere near the level of City. But they actually moved the ball with purpose from the back and in midfield when we stood off them.

I'm not asking for us to have this sorted out, but some progress would be nice. If that makes me deluded, fair enough.

There was this discussion on here about Ndombele moving to the right when we had the ball on the left. Was Ndombele in the wrong, moving away from play, or were the other players too slow to switch play. I think the latter, but regardless of shows how our buildup play is without structure, plan, purpose.

Several times against Chelsea Dier had an easy pass to Reguilon on to complete a basic switch of play and give Reguilon at least a hint of space to work with. Dier failed to play that pass often enough that Reguilon got visibly frustrated.

It's really basic stuff I'm talking about, not City style movement patterns and high risk buildup. Just move the ball quickly from one side to the other, if possible without going through every single player in between with each taking 2-3 touches or more. Just a touch of tempo, purpose, plan.

I agree with your initial observations. And I agree that correcting this will take time.

I want progress though. It's still early, but some signs of progress. Getting Romero and Ndombele on the pitch helps, the first half against Chelsea was a step in the right direction, but not much more than a step, and the only real such step we've seen.

Crystal Palace showed better buildup play than us. I don't think their defenders or midfielders are much better then our lot. Palace are obviously not anywhere near the level of City. But they actually moved the ball with purpose from the back and in midfield when we stood off them.

I'm not asking for us to have this sorted out, but some progress would be nice. If that makes me deluded, fair enough.

There was this discussion on here about Ndombele moving to the right when we had the ball on the left. Was Ndombele in the wrong, moving away from play, or were the other players too slow to switch play. I think the latter, but regardless of shows how our buildup play is without structure, plan, purpose.

Several times against Chelsea Dier had an easy pass to Reguilon on to complete a basic switch of play and give Reguilon at least a hint of space to work with. Dier failed to play that pass often enough that Reguilon got visibly frustrated.

It's really basic stuff I'm talking about, not City style movement patterns and high risk buildup. Just move the ball quickly from one side to the other, if possible without going through every single player in between with each taking 2-3 touches or more. Just a touch of tempo, purpose, plan.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...-how-they-should/id1577797587?i=1000536013266

“Spurs dropped off what they were doing so well. That is a fitness thing – Nuno told me afterwards, the amount of time to work with the full squad.

“I looked at it properly. It’s the amount of time he’s had to work with his players. As a full squad, I think we’re talking two to three weeks.

“In pre-season, the bulk of the ‘big players’ as it were, came back in the last fortnight to a week, some of them. Some of them just in the final days.

“Kane and Ndombele sagas, too. Then he gets a little bit of time to work with them, Spurs win three games, qualify for group stages, looking good.

“International break takes three players who were likely to start a lot of matches away, isolates them in Croatia. Five others get injured.”

Injects a dose of reality....

Life depends on sliding doors moments. We missed our opportunity when we were at our best through a combination of exceptionally good transfers, a good coach and a loss of form of the traditional big 4. That combination is unlikely to happen any time soon. It's going to be a long hard slog to get there again so we may as well temper our immediate expectations....

Sadly this is where we are. Miles away from where we were several years ago. When we get victories this season, we will have good reason to celebrate them....

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...-how-they-should/id1577797587?i=1000536013266

“Spurs dropped off what they were doing so well. That is a fitness thing – Nuno told me afterwards, the amount of time to work with the full squad.

“I looked at it properly. It’s the amount of time he’s had to work with his players. As a full squad, I think we’re talking two to three weeks.

“In pre-season, the bulk of the ‘big players’ as it were, came back in the last fortnight to a week, some of them. Some of them just in the final days.

“Kane and Ndombele sagas, too. Then he gets a little bit of time to work with them, Spurs win three games, qualify for group stages, looking good.

“International break takes three players who were likely to start a lot of matches away, isolates them in Croatia. Five others get injured.”

I understand and accept that. He's had quite a bit of time with some of the players involved. I'm obviously asking for what he hasn't been able to deliver in difficult circumstances. To some extent that may be unfair. I think some progress is fair to ask for in this particular regard. But let's see what the next months bring.

Sadly there does not seem to be a lot of that going around in some fans. :(

What are your overall thoughts on his appointment as manger? And him as a manger for that matter?

I remember you being one of only a few people that really wanted poch in (and that proved very right), I liked poch (at Southampton) but wanted Benitez at the time.

What are your overall thoughts on his appointment as manger? And him as a manger for that matter?

You weren't asking me, but I'd like to state that I think Nuno is a good manager and has been dealing with huge heaps of crap in the tiny amount of time he has been Spurs manager.
It is easy for loudmouths to take potshots when we lose to the European Champions, but for GHod's sake we need to give him time to do his work.
As Ali Gold says, Poch was really poor until Nov/Dec when he started with us.
As Nathan A Clark says, we have tried several systems already due to player availability and opponents e.g. getting Hojbjerg to drop into a back 3 with Dier/Romero and pushing the fullbacks on, but I don't think people see all these intricacies and just like to criticise and snipe for strange reasons.
Let's get behind him and see where we are come May.

You weren't asking me, but I'd like to state that I think Nuno is a good manager and has been dealing with huge heaps of crap in the tiny amount of time he has been Spurs manager.
It is easy for loudmouths to take potshots when we lose to the European Champions, but for GHod's sake we need to give him time to do his work.
As Ali Gold says, Poch was really poor until Nov/Dec when he started with us.
As Nathan A Clark says, we have tried several systems already due to player availability and opponents e.g. getting Hojbjerg to drop into a back 3 with Dier/Romero and pushing the fullbacks on, but I don't think people see all these intricacies and just like to criticise and snipe for strange reasons.
Let's get behind him and see where we are come May.
:)

I'm all for the usual "give people time" when things go wrong that are out of their hands.

But here we have a guy no one wanted in the first place.
There's no potential with Nuno. We all know what his teams play like. And this is it.

Even Arsenal with Arteta have someone that looks bad but you never know.

For us it's like Christmas in late 90s.

Chelsea's dad have got them the first PlayStation. State of the art. Arsenal's mum have gotten them a Sega Dreamcast. Looks good but no games to back it up yet.
Old uncle Levy has turned up and got us an old fudging NES.

I agree with you but I noticed a problem we had with Reguilon and it seems to be quite often, that his passing or his decision making it could be is pretty atrocious. He is quick and can intercept the ball but when he makes his final decisions its either a long ball which then loses possession or its a pass that gets intercepted. I am starting to think that he is part of the problem and makes us lose possession more often than not.

I really don't know if it's his decision making or lack of ability but it is worrying. That decision when he could have shot against Chelsea or passed, he chose a poor ball. Just seems to be him all over.

Back