• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

I don’t know the full story either, just conscious he hasn’t started him yet anyway and there is talk of a fine being imposed. Worst case scenario we stick with Dele and have more of a effervescent threat to replace Son
I think the main reasons for Lo Celso not starting so far are simply that he isn't a particularly good player..... Or at least not a particularly good player in the PL/for Nuno's system.

I'd like to think we're fit enough to play 90 mins. I dont see the need to have to sit back just so that we conserve energy for the last 30 mins. I accept that playing hell-for-leather football for 90 mins isnt viable, at least apart from the odd game here and there, but the flipside to that is that we shouldnt have to hold off as much as we did against Palace and Wolves

We are fit enough, but it’s about spikes in the intensity. You can play a consistent level all the way through, or you can choose when you spike. It’s a principal applied to many things other than football, but you trade off an element of randomness for more control of when you do it.

We are fit enough, but it’s about spikes in the intensity. You can play a consistent level all the way through, or you can choose when you spike. It’s a principal applied to many things other than football, but you trade off an element of randomness for more control of when you do it.
We’re fitter now than we have been in a long time. It’s why before Saturday we were taking the sting out of the game and creating more chances after 60 mins
As I’ve said before, the palace game was an anomaly IMO because of the circumstances and timing of the game

If he wins 3/4 of the games 1 nil we will look brilliant
But that’s never gonna happen
And even then fans would complain
Nuno needs time but fans don’t like giving time
Christmas is the first benchmark for him IMO

No one should be calling for his head this season, but I dont think he was anymore than a stopgap to something else.

He won’t have all fit at the same me as that rarely happens
But for him to lose such a huge chunk of players and options in a few days is bonkers
People forget that until the players come back the club and therefore the manager don’t know the state of them
I said it in the match thread. Everyone saying he should have started Gil has forgotten he played internationals too. He may have come back knackered and be ok for 30 mins. We as fans don’t know
But…. I do expect to see more of what we will be like as a side come December. By the he will have had every player here for a reasonable period to make his win assessments
Next two games… Chelsea is bye for me. Anything out of that is a bonus
Arsenal is all about the performance. We brick the bed there too often for my liking against bang average sides. No excuses not to turn up for that one

A really good post and very fair overview IMO.

If he wins 3/4 of the games 1 nil we will look brilliant
But that’s never gonna happen
And even then fans would complain
Nuno needs time but fans don’t like giving time
Christmas is the first benchmark for him IMO

Yes....but....like all managers, he needs either results or performances (ideally both, but does need one of those).

As you said elsewhere, Chelsea result is a pass, but pressure will be coming on him if the performances in the two London derbies are as abject as the weekend

Last time we only had 2 shots at goal in a PL game was in 2005...

I think the main reasons for Lo Celso not starting so far are simply that he isn't a particularly good player..... Or at least not a particularly good player in the PL/for Nuno's system.
I do think there is a player in there, he’s certainly a good ball carrier and pre injury he stood out when we were struggling under Jose. End product would be the differentiator though, doesn’t seem to release the ball early enough when and whenever he shapes to shoot he has an annoying habit of opening his body up and curling the ball into the keeper. We really need at least one of him or Ndombele to be forcing their way into the starting line up it feels like a criminal waste of our transfer budget if they can’t.

Yes....but....like all managers, he needs either results or performances (ideally both, but does need one of those).

As you said elsewhere, Chelsea result is a pass, but pressure will be coming on him if the performances in the two London derbies are as abject as the weekend

Last time we only had 2 shots at goal in a PL game was in 2005...
Yep
But when was the last time we were missing so many first team players and had the squad coming back from an international run of 3 games?
Palace has context that needs to be added
Chelsea won’t. Unless we lose even more players midweek

If we continue with a narrow and fairly flat midfield three I think he's a good fit for one of those wider roles.

Against City in the LC final he played a similar role. In that game Mason switched him and Hojbjerg with Lo Celso going to the right side instead of the left. Lo Celso did a better defensive job than Hojbjerg in that game and helped shut down that side to a good extent.

He adds more in terms of quick transitions and buildup play in that role than anyone in our squad apart from Ndombele. Unlike Ndombele (so far at least) he works hard and is sound defensively.

He probably won't have the runs and timing of Alli into the final third, but he could add at least quite a bit of what we've been missing so far in terms of quality on the ball.

I think the reason he hasn't played much in the league so far is that he came back late from the Copa, in combination with both Alli and Hojbjerg playing well from the start.

Yep
But when was the last time we were missing so many first team players and had the squad coming back from an international run of 3 games?
Palace has context that needs to be added
Chelsea won’t. Unless we lose even more players midweek
I agree Palace had “context” but even allowing for that it was bloody awful and one of the worst I’ve watched for a long long time!
I’m refusing to think about Chelsea at the moment. It could be nasty

i agree entirely with the call to keep Ndombele on the bench on the weekend. He hasn't played a minute of football in months. you can't throw him in to start a PL match (especially someone notorious for NOT running a lot and gassing out quick).

that being said, moving Dele forward - terrible decision. Playing Winks, Skipp, Hjojbjerg deserves a 3-0 loss.

Nuno knows he fudged up. that much is obvious because the whole world saw it. It's now how he learns from it.

Worryingly Chelsea and Arsenal next, meaning it's likely Arsenal could be level on points with us by the end of that day.

One good performance in 4 games.

We are very lucky to have 9 points.

Come the end of October I wouldn't be surprised if we're out of the League Cup and haven't won a League game since Watford.

I'm on the give him until the end of the season bus.
But this is exactly how his Wolves team played.
The style isn't gonna change much from this.

Tottenham away are going to be unwatchable all season.

Back