• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Now Here's a Funny Thing...

AVB didn't really stand a chance at Chelsea, being such a disfunctional club but Pandy is right in that he tried to change too much and alienated players. Luckily he learn't from that which has benefited us. I've been looking at pictures of AVB and looking at TV interviews and the difference between his time at the 2 clubs is quite stark. At Chelsea he was quite moody & tetchy and looked stressed but now at Spurs he smiles a lot, his demeanor is relaxed and he seems to have a good relationship with the players and those around him

We have clearly the 3rd best player in the world, on current form (but looking like he is a man who has just made this current spell his normal form, to me at least).

Lol, careful. Don't build the guy up to be a Messi or Ronaldo level player who is expected to score every match. (Particularly as there's a world of difference between Real Madrid's other players and ours, partially because there is a difference between the PL and La Liga (teams, amount of penalties, amount of red cards, etc.) We have one of the best players in the world but let's not get too carried away. Besides, if we keep saying that kind of thing, Falcao will go to Chelsea and score 35 league goals next season.

Anyway, my actual point is that throughout all of this is simply that everyone is forgetting Torres. AVB was tasked with replacing Drogba with Torres.... There is not one manager in the world that could have masterminded that successfully. Chelsea post AVB fudged up their league performances even more and finished 6th. They only did well in cup competitions in which Drogba played instead of Torres.

Most of the other stuff on here about why the job was insane is true, I just wanted to throw the Torres point in too as nobody had mentioned it.

Of course, but I nor anyone else has said that. Plenty of people, however, see AVB as a helpless victim of the evil, fickle and inflexible Abramovich, Terry and co. - which is wrong.

No one ( especially me) said he was a helpless victim :-k what i said was he was not a failure with a 47.5% win rate. It was a story drummed up in the media and fools believed it.

AVB didn't really stand a chance at Chelsea, being such a disfunctional club but Pandy is right in that he tried to change too much and alienated players. Luckily he learn't from that which has benefited us. I've been looking at pictures of AVB and looking at TV interviews and the difference between his time at the 2 clubs is quite stark. At Chelsea he was quite moody & tetchy and looked stressed but now at Spurs he smiles a lot, his demeanor is relaxed and he seems to have a good relationship with the players and those around him

I'm convinced there's something up with his difference in demeanour compared to when at Chelsea, because it is very strange. In his biography, he is described as being exactly like he is now with us, when he was at Porto. He is relaxed, he answers all questions, and does media duties for the club to make sure they always have what they need (I'm sure he does an interview after every game for the official website, and don't think Harry ever really did this, certainly not for every game).

I guess he thought that going to Chelsea, the way to handle the media was to act like Mourinho, and not be himself. He probably thought there was an advantage to be gained from creating an 'us vs them' mentality but it backfired. That, along with the way that he banished the likes of Alex (which is also totally different from how he acts here, with how Dawson was saying AVB was honest with him, not confrontational) was probably the biggest mistake that he made. He thought he had to act like someone else, rather than be himself, and the players and media saw right through it. I'd imagine since his break that was the biggest thing he realised, and the thing he decided to change. People probably said to him he just needed to be himself and it would work. He was readily tactically, he is a great coach by all accounts with his modern training, but the Chelsea experience probably reinforced to him that it's important if you are going to be a leader to be comfortable in your own skin, and not need to pretend to be anybody else.

So that could have happened, or maybe it was all a plan from Levy and Lewis to ruin Chelsea from the beginning. They send some dosh AVB's way and tell him to go to Chelsea and act like an absolute tool, with the promise that he gets a job to rebuild his reputation with us once the mission is completed. It was all sweet payback for stealing Arnesen and halting our progress. Why else would AVB act in such an obviously different way compared to his Porto and Spurs days? :D

Why else would AVB act in such an obviously different way compared to his Porto and Spurs days? :D

Outside influence. When Alex wanted a transfer, it could have been anyone suggesting that he be seperated from everyone else... Malouda is acting in an extremely annoying fashion atm, but at the start of the season, he was seperated from everyone else too... (Different situation yes.)

You see how Rafa went in and how he didn't seem to be in control of anything...

Plus, AVB, he started one way, it was going well and he changed the way he did things. As opposed to here, where it didn't start anywhere near as well as it started at Chelsea and he didn't suddenly change his philosophy, style, etc.

The last manager that gave the impression he was in control of Chelsea was a very long time ago. But even Mourinho had things like the Shevchenko situation to deal with, it has just got weirder since then.

AVB constantly says it's different at Spurs than Chelsea. I really think the Chelsea effect just messes people up.

Back