• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Now Here's a Funny Thing...

THFC6061

Paul Robinson
After 27 matches of the 2011-12 season Chelsea got rid of André Villas-Boas.

After 27 matches of the 2012-13 season, André Villas-Boas' Tottenham Hotspur overtook Chelsea into third place in the Premier League Table.

Isn't Karma a bitch sometimes?

A1848_zps7e0bfdad.jpg

If AVB were to take us into third and even knock Chelsea out of the top 4 completely in the process it would be so so sweet. It would mean Arsenal got 4th but because I'm so fond of AVB I might consider that to be ok because it would be such sweet justice for him.

That said, we have a long way to go before we've come close to doing it.

One more funny thing/fact

AVB and Di Matteo both got sacked from Chelsea following defeats to WBA

Chelsea play WBA this weekend... :-"

47/32 - Chelsea scored 47 goals & conceded 32 in 27 Premier League games under Andre Villas-Boas; as have Tottenham this season. Mirror.

I still do not go along with the myth that he failed at Chelsea, it was the idiot chairman once again who thinks he knows better.

I still do not go along with the myth that he failed at Chelsea, it was the idiot chairman once again who thinks he knows better.

+ idiot Terry Cole Drogba

Such a shame the history books will allow the flukiest cup win to gloss over the selfishness of these people

+ idiot Terry Cole Drogba

Such a shame the history books will allow the flukiest cup win to gloss over the selfishness of these people

To be honest I think AVB did fail at Chelsea.

The circumstances were not there for him to succeed, but he attempted to impose a style of football with highly unsuitable players. Yes I think Abramovich probably u-turned on his initial promise of giving AVB total backing to go in and do what he wanted to revolutionise the club and usher in a new era, but the transition AVB was meant to be overseeing was catastrophically managed. He tried to immediately axe the cornerstones of the squad and in doing so turned the players against him. In an age of player-power, that was the death knell.

Without immediate senior replacements for players like Lampard, Terry, Drogba, Cole and Anelka, there was no way AVB was going to be able to simply cut them from the squad, the waiting period for his new first XI to adapt to a new playing style was too great. I'm sure had he stayed in the job for 3 years all of those players would have had far more suitable replacements found for them and AVB would have been a success. However, in a club where the manager cedes all power to the chairman and players upon penning his contract, the likelihood of them keeping their job when under pressure is next to 0.

By attempting a radical overhaul rather than a gradual one, AVB heaped pressure on himself. Even without a nutter like Abramovich, such radical changes would have been dangerous at any club, especially at one with so many talismanic players, all suited to a contrasting style of football.

Luckily THFC is far more fertile soil for AVB to plant his ideas in.

I also think Chelsea's CL win is a massive credit to those talismanic players... it was rumoured that during Grant's time in charge, Terry and Lampard took the team talks as they got within a penalty of beating United in Russia. I think Di Matteo was clearly a puppet figure, and for Mourinho's ex-players to exhibit such a Mourinho-esque performance to knock out Barca and then nick the final demonstrates the quasi-managerial quality of on-the-field leaders. At the other end of the scale, we have Arsenal.....

He had a 47.5% win record at Chelsea, hardly failing.

Did you read my post?

He failed because he managed the transition from one style to another abysmally. His raw stats may not have been a failure, but he fostered a terrible atmosphere around himself and the club and that ultimately lead to his downfall.

Did you read my post?

He failed because he managed the transition from one style to another abysmally. His raw stats may not have been a failure, but he fostered a terrible atmosphere around himself and the club and that ultimately lead to his downfall.

Yes i did read it, the problem was the dressing room and the chairman, nothing to do with AVB failing. They have had two managers since and may have a third before the season ends, i suppose you are going to tell me they failed as well :eek:

Yes i did read it, the problem was the dressing room and the chairman, nothing to do with AVB failing. They have had two managers since and may have a third before the season ends, i suppose you are going to tell me they failed as well :eek:

It is very simplistic to say 'the chairman was a looney, the players were ****s, so AVB didn't fail'. He signed the contract. He knew, to a point, what he was getting himself into. He could have tried to phase the big guns out of the team over the course of seasons, get the notoriously fickle chairman and players on-side with some wins and some faith, then slowly ease them out. Instead he tried to axe them immediately, even prevented Alex and Anelka from training with the first-team. If you think that is conducive to success as a manager, then I'm afraid you are utterly deluded.

I have always backed AVB at Spurs, unlike many fans, but the way he handled himself at Chelsea smacked of naivety and he payed the price.

At Spurs AVB has demonstrated that he has learnt his lessons. If he had dropped Friedel immediately rather than benching Lloris, it would have been the English - not the French - media that would have been leading a witch-hunt against him, and it may have been even harder to shake the 'poor man-manager' label.

Similarly, he got rid of VDV immediately instead of keeping him as a senior and established yet bit-part squad member due to tactical changes; again, VDV would have been vocal to the media about his overly-tactical approach (something VDV loathed about Mourinho and loved Harry for avoiding), and the image of AVB as an academic with a jargon-fuelled, inexplicable conception of the game would have been perpetuated.

Obviously the transitional challenges were far easier at Spurs, but AVB seemed not to value a tactful approach to them while at Chelsea. Perhaps his inexperience with handling the British media contributed to this.

It is very simplistic to say 'the chairman was a looney, the players were ****s, so AVB didn't fail'. He signed the contract. He knew, to a point, what he was getting himself into. He could have tried to phase the big guns out of the team over the course of seasons, get the notoriously fickle chairman and players on-side with some wins and some faith, then slowly ease them out. Instead he tried to axe them immediately, even prevented Alex and Anelka from training with the first-team. If you think that is conducive to success as a manager, then I'm afraid you are utterly deluded.

I have always backed AVB at Spurs, unlike many fans, but the way he handled himself at Chelsea smacked of naivety and he payed the price.

At Spurs AVB has demonstrated that he has learnt his lessons. If he had dropped Friedel immediately rather than benching Lloris, it would have been the English - not the French - media that would have been leading a witch-hunt against him, and it may have been even harder to shake the 'poor man-manager' label.

Similarly, he got rid of VDV immediately instead of keeping him as a senior and established yet bit-part squad member due to tactical changes; again, VDV would have been vocal to the media about his overly-tactical approach (something VDV loathed about Mourinho and loved Harry for avoiding), and the image of AVB as an academic with a jargon-fuelled, inexplicable conception of the game would have been perpetuated.

Obviously the transitional challenges were far easier at Spurs, but AVB seemed not to value a tactful approach to them while at Chelsea. Perhaps his inexperience with handling the British media contributed to this.

Just as it would be simplistic to say that he got fired, he must have failed.

Look at their results this season. They are languishing in about the same position as they were last season after they spent a fudgeload of money in the summer.

It is starting to look less like they were underachieving last season and more that was where the ability of the squad should have gotten them.

To be honest I think AVB did fail at Chelsea.

The circumstances were not there for him to succeed, but he attempted to impose a style of football with highly unsuitable players. Yes I think Abramovich probably u-turned on his initial promise of giving AVB total backing to go in and do what he wanted to revolutionise the club and usher in a new era, but the transition AVB was meant to be overseeing was catastrophically managed. He tried to immediately axe the cornerstones of the squad and in doing so turned the players against him. In an age of player-power, that was the death knell.

Without immediate senior replacements for players like Lampard, Terry, Drogba, Cole and Anelka, there was no way AVB was going to be able to simply cut them from the squad, the waiting period for his new first XI to adapt to a new playing style was too great. I'm sure had he stayed in the job for 3 years all of those players would have had far more suitable replacements found for them and AVB would have been a success. However, in a club where the manager cedes all power to the chairman and players upon penning his contract, the likelihood of them keeping their job when under pressure is next to 0.

By attempting a radical overhaul rather than a gradual one, AVB heaped pressure on himself. Even without a nutter like Abramovich, such radical changes would have been dangerous at any club, especially at one with so many talismanic players, all suited to a contrasting style of football.

Luckily THFC is far more fertile soil for AVB to plant his ideas in.

I've had a beautiful 24 hours, the romance in my soul is blooming, those words in bold are singing to these feelings =D>

The rest is not in response to you Andy.

We're unbeaten in the League since December 9th, that's 11 games and over 11 weeks!

We have clearly the 3rd best player in the world, on current form (but looking like he is a man who has just made this current spell his normal form, to me at least).

Just WOW really, everything, the timing (new stadium financing needs completing and we are 3rd, in the last 16 in Europe, with a Mega-star asset unveiling himself fully this season...), the disbelief (our away record, Bale with 11 of his 15 away from home! That boy needs to up his home game from Sunday onwards!).

Gush, gush, guuuuuussshhhhhhhh :)

Just as it would be simplistic to say that he got fired, he must have failed.

Look at their results this season. They are languishing in about the same position as they were last season after they spent a fudgeload of money in the summer.

It is starting to look less like they were underachieving last season and more that was where the ability of the squad should have gotten them.

Of course, but I nor anyone else has said that. Plenty of people, however, see AVB as a helpless victim of the evil, fickle and inflexible Abramovich, Terry and co. - which is wrong.

I've had a beautiful 24 hours, the romance in my soul is blooming, those words in bold are singing to these feelings =D>

The rest is not in response to you Andy.

We're unbeaten in the League since December 9th, that's 11 games and over 11 weeks!

We have clearly the 3rd best player in the world, on current form (but looking like he is a man who has just made this current spell his normal form, to me at least).

Just WOW really, everything, the timing (new stadium financing needs completing and we are 3rd, in the last 16 in Europe, with a Mega-star asset unveiling himself fully this season...), the disbelief (our away record, Bale with 11 of his 15 away from home! That boy needs to up his home game from Sunday onwards!).

Gush, gush, guuuuuussshhhhhhhh :)

Why can't we have more posts like this.

He failed because he had absolute bellends like Terry and Cole to manage. Not even Capello, who's a strict disciplinarian could keep that FOY Terry in line.

Back