• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Norwich

Norwich is a decent place to live but quite isolated
There are a trainable number of large ish companies there
All the times I went there it was ok for traffic but the locks moaned about it
All the guys who worked for me there was sound though and great to work with
Thanks mate.
The remoteness is a little concern.
I'm hoping to stay with my auntie in Brundall for a couple of months as soon as tier restrictions allow, give it a trial run.
And should be able to WFH permanently.

Thanks mate.
I'm hoping to stay with my auntie in Brundall for a couple of months as soon as tier restrictions allow, give it a trial run.
When I worked for a London based company they ignored Anglia as an area
We built up a pretty decent sized business based out of Norwich airport in 18 months and it tinkled off the London based guys

I have never been to Norwich, but every time I hear or read the name I think of an unfortunate series of events from 2014. Last day of the season and me and my now son-in-law where heading up to the Lane. He is a Londoner, so I naturally followed his lead on our our route. So if I recall correctly we got the WHL train at Liverpool Street Platform 11 (I think). There was a train parked in front of another one which we headed for as we assumed it was ours and due to depart. Got on and thought it looked a bit plush, but a couple of policemen were standing on the train, so we thought no more. The train then pulled out and a couple of minutes later the announcer came on and welcomed us on board the Norwich Intercity, which would stop at Colchester en route! Eventually we got to explain our predicament to the Conductor, who very nicely wrote us a note to give to the Colchester Conductor for our return. Returning from Colchester we encountered two Conductors, one a Gooner and one a Spammer, who laughed their balls off at us! But thankfully believed our story.

Anyway, got back to London and the son-in-law paid for a taxi to WHL, where we duly arrived in time for the second half with Spurs already three nil up and with no further goals.

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

:(:D

Thanks mate.
If you're heading towards WFH all (or at least 90%) of the time, and I'm not for one moment saying anything negative about your family, but isn't the world your oyster.?

Work out your potential monthly costs, look to see what transport links work for you if needed and audit a location for potential social life. Ask for recommendations, visit areas (I know hard at mo) and go for it.??

After feeling a bit brick about your living situation, you could really flip it on its head and be excited about it.

I have never been to Norwich, but every time I hear or read the name I think of an unfortunate series of events from 2014. Last day of the season and me and my now son-in-law where heading up to the Lane. He is a Londoner, so I naturally followed his lead on our our route. So if I recall correctly we got the WHL train at Liverpool Street Platform 11 (I think). There was a train parked in front of another one which we headed for as we assumed it was ours and due to depart. Got on and thought it looked a bit plush, but a couple of policemen were standing on the train, so we thought no more. The train then pulled out and a couple of minutes later the announcer came on and welcomed us on board the Norwich Intercity, which would stop at Colchester en route! Eventually we got to explain our predicament to the Conductor, who very nicely wrote us a note to give to the Colchester Conductor for our return. Returning from Colchester we encountered two Conductors, one a Gooner and one a Spammer, who laughed their balls off at us! But thankfully believed our story.

Anyway, got back to London and the son-in-law paid for a taxi to WHL, where we duly arrived in time for the second half with Spurs already three nil up and with no further goals.

Great story.

I'd add, that traveling with headphones on all the time does make situations like this more common. Just oblivious to any spoken information.

School boy !!!
Trains to WHL and NUM are only ever on platforms 1-6, never that far down the station haha

@nelto how very dare you!
GG is not a place where threads get hijacked, ever. It annoys the OMT GHod's.

This is the worst OMT ever.

Anyone know is Skipp is allowed to play against us?

a couple of minutes later the announcer came on and welcomed us on board the Norwich Intercity, which would stop at Colchester en route
This is a key reason why I despise public transport. It should be SO easy to list the destinations on any bus or train, but they like to make it super complex and indecipherable unless you are in the know e.g. "oh platform 7 never goes to WHL" well how does a normal human know minutiae like that?

This is a key reason why I despise public transport. It should be SO easy to list the destinations on any bus or train, but they like to make it super complex and indecipherable unless you are in the know e.g. "oh platform 7 never goes to WHL" well how does a normal human know minutiae like that?
Dont they have that digital scrolling thing facing outwards on the outside of trains and above the carriage connecting doors in the inside??

Never been but know someone from there, sounds like a decent enough place. 2 unis so bound to always have some stuff going on, near the coast, commuteable to London for the odd office day or smash up weekend. I'd say go for it - if you don't need to be near family then I'd recommend Bristol which is a pretty decent sized city with good music scene and lots of companies moving in. Prices are going up quickly but still way cheaper than London.

Either way hope it works our wherever you move - from the other thread it sounds like a change will do you good.

On all GA run platforms they now have pretty decent screen's, it's take them a while to get them all updated
If there is a bit of hoo haa going on when I'm using the train I usually do my own research on the National Rail app. When delays, cancellations are happening the screens and information from staff is generally brick or gonads.

On the NR app you can at least see where a train is or if the train that needs to arrive to take you home is actually on its way. And you can get ahead on alternative plans (or routes) when you realise it's just a brick storm.

If you're heading towards WFH all (or at least 90%) of the time, and I'm not for one moment saying anything negative about your family, but isn't the world your oyster.?

Work out your potential monthly costs, look to see what transport links work for you if needed and audit a location for potential social life. Ask for recommendations, visit areas (I know hard at mo) and go for it.??

After feeling a bit brick about your living situation, you could really flip it on its head and be excited about it.
Exactly that.
I've been thinking about Manchester or Bristol for a while.
This last year and especially the last few months have really made me realize how much I need my own space and probably a slower pace of life - that will only increase as I get into my 40s (39next year).

The opportunity to stay with my auntie (tier 4 depending!) is a nice trial run for the area. I may hate it! It may be good for a few years just to get some peace and balance through this pandemic and the inevitable few years of rebuilding post vaccine.

Exactly that.
This last year and especially the last few months have really made me realize how much I need my own space and probably a slower pace of life - that will only increase as I get into my 40s (39next year).

The opportunity to stay with my auntie (tier 4 depending!) is a nice trial run for the area. I may hate it! It may be good for a few years just to get some peace and balance through this pandemic and the inevitable few years of rebuilding post vaccine.
I think gravitating away from the City is a natural thing for a lot of us. We work from home for the most part and from our mid thirties moved 4 times to places basically all scoped out as potential settling places, it took the fourth move to finally set long term (probably forever if I'm honest) roots down.

Depending on how much you want to slow down...Bristol is a good shout, Brighton is similar. We lived in Brighton for a bit, socially you are catered lite.rally for everything. We actually moved on BECAUSE of that...saving money was hard, so much just going on all the time. (Lewes is an option)

The market towns are almost always pretty pleasent. I suppose anywhere 'nice' might come with higher costs attached?.

Winchester, Salisbury, Guildford, Windsor, Kingston if heading SW.
The A25 has some lovely towns and villages along it. Near to the M25, train links to London and easy to Gatwick. Reigate was one of our favourite places we lived.

Cambridge is a lovely city and good access into the Lane if you go to games?

I love being a 'visitor' to London these days, a short blast of the bits we love to.

I'm sure others will give you some pointers.

Exactly that.

As i have said earlier Norwich is a fun town with plenty of places to enjoy, the broads are really pretty and their are some lovely little villages around which are picture postcard. Its got good train/links to London ( if you so desire if you feel the need to have a change).

The Norfolk coast is really nice and it is the same over in Suffolk. Like most place it has its brickholes Yarmouth is a dump but they are plenty of other beach places which are beautiful.

Back