• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

Who do you want as the next Spurs manager?

• Tim Sherwood

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Glenn Hoddle

• Michael Laudrup

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Lucien Favre

• Luciano Spalletti

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Marcelo Bielsa

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 53 46.5%

• Total voters
----------------------Buffon

---------Barzagli----Bonucci----Chiellini

Lichsteiner--------------------------Asamoah

-----------------------Pirlo

------------Pogba-------------Vidal

-----------------Tevez----Llorente

----------------------Lloris

---------Chiriches----Dawson----Vertonghen

Walker-----------------------------------------Rose

-----------------------Sandro

------------Eriksen-------------Dembele

-----------------Lamela----Soldado

my question is what does that 3-5-2 look like when we're in possession?

With a back 4 the two CB's split allowing for a CDM to play the ball from deep... with 3 would it instead just be Daws back there passing it around to Verts and Chiriches? If so count me out.. Any plan that relies on Daws on the ball is an awful one imo

Its interesting to me that we're all discussing a new manager, as we need to. I wonder now though, given that he must have put a compelling argument to Joe Lewis in the summer, whether Levy needs to be looked at.

He's presided over:

a very shoddy removal of George Graham (for those too young, he was sacked for revealing in part the club's transfer budget shortly after ENIC took over)

the installation of Pleat as a surrogate manager to very nearly take the club down

Santini.

Arnesen's revolution and then departure due to a lack of support for the DOF role.

Jol's treatment where the ground new he'd been sacked before he did.

Damian Comolli.

Redknapp's departure

AVB and Baldini

Where in all of that has there been any long term thought or rationale given?

I'm at the point now where I think AVB going is a good thing, as I don't think he had got any idea what his best side was this season with the influx of players, and while that is maybe not his fault, he shouldn't have been given the job in the first place if he couldn't deal with the player merry go round.

We're supposedly so stable behind the scenes, with structure all in place, and everyone in the background pulling in the right direction - but realistically, unless Levy backs someone we're going to go round in circles for another 20 years.

My personal opinion is that we either approach Swansea, or ask Hoddle to take it to the summer, and see who's free.

Either way the club and fans should be prepared to accept that whomever we get in has to be given 2 years to impose their imprint on the team, and that Levy needs to back him or go - not just financially, but organisationally and in terms of mentality.

I would like to see Hoddle in until the summer, and also appoint Gary Neville to come in to work with the defence, possibly with the intention that f Neville works out that he gets some kind of full time job.

I don't think there has been in my book an ex-pro that talks about the game so well as he does. If I was a young player I would want to take every ounce of knowledge the guy has.

Sherwood is not the answer, well not until he has shown it elsewhere.

Surfless, it may be more relevant for a Levy thread, but Joe's view of that may be

- Has taken a club from bottom half of table to a club that has competed in CL and is regarded as a CL Spot challenger
- Club profile and sponsorship deals have risen considerably during same period
- Club has won a cup and been in several semi/finals, including 1/4 finals of CL
- Went from a club that lost money on most sales to a club that has bought and sold Carrick, Berbatov, Modric and Bale at insane profits
- Built one of the best training grounds in country
- Has secured the land, plans and approval for new stadium
- Club consistently makes a profit and carries very little overall debt.

Please don't take this as a defense of Levy, but there are different views of looking at things.

Saw a blog post this morning that said there will be no more SAFs or Wengers, Mourinho will end badly at Cheat$ki again, maybe that's true. Maybe as fans we need to expect that whoever the next guy is, he will probably be here for 2 years, 3 max, and as long as the club does not significantly slip backward, is it a bad thing?

5-3-2 is his preferred formation where ever he has been.... If he had had the players to accommodate it.

3-5-2 only works from teh perspecitve of having Walker and Rose as ready made wingbacks. It doesnt work from teh perspective of fitting in Lennon, Townsend, Chadli, Lamela, Eriksen, possibly Holtby - you can really only get one of them in the team.

Ok realise, that I'm posting a lot of positive Hoddle posts at the the moment.
Although, he's not my first choice (or 2nd to about 20th) option, I do think he'd do alright with us.
And I do not see a massive problem with switching to a 3-5-2 formation.
The way I see it, most of our players are suited for it, and only one or two would clearly have to be sacrifised - here's looking at you Lennon.

Lloris/Friedel

Kaboul/Dawson – Chiriches/Capoue – Vertonghen/Fryers

Walker/Smith – Paulinho/Dembele – Sandro/Holtby – Rose/Townsend

Eriksen/Sigurdsson (or Chadli)

Soldado/Defoe – Adebayor/Lamela​

Lennon would be surplus to requirement, although that could perhaps have been said for AVB if he had been true to his football philosophy as well.
Chadli, although I think he could fit in well with Hoddle is perhaps the odd man out just on numbers.
I think Hoddle perhaps would have prefered to cash in on one of Dembele and Paulinho to bring in a passer and reader of the game, he'd love Pirlo to tie it all together.
Walker and Rose are perfect for Hoddle, Friedel wouldn't have the same issues standing on his line as under AVB, Chiriches is pure love for Hoddle as a central defender that can move up into the midfield when in possession, new lease of life for Adebayor and Lamela being allowed to play/be a forward.

Why sacrifice one of our best players in recent weeks and proven over his long tottenham career? Madness .

Agreed. There will always be winners and losers when a new manager comes in and Lennon has his limitations....however he's consistently performed for us

Apologies if already stated by others but how ironic should Capello get the job considering he was the one that signalled the end of Harrys reign when he resigned from Engerland and Harry took the eye of the prize........

Apologies if already stated by others but how ironic should Capello get the job considering he was the one that signalled the end of Harrys reign when he resigned from Engerland and Harry took the eye of the prize........

I can see the allure of Capello being manager, he is amongst the most decorated managers in club football, but it just doesn't seem to fit. Not only his style of play is out of kilter for us, but his man management style also. How would these young players react to a disciplinarian? Although I don't think we have big egos in the squad, it is an old fashioned approach

For fits and giggles, let's give it to Hoddle in the interim. This season's now kind of a write off, and Hoddle is preferable to Sherwood or, say, Pleat. Give Saint Glenn 5 months and, who knows, maybe he'll do well enough to earn the reigns full time.

my money is on Hoddle

media will love him, would be respected, attack minded. Not the best choice in the world but bulletproof, at least for the rest of the season.

anyone got any insight into how F deBoer sets his teams out at Ajax?? Iirc Ajax play 4-3-3 throughout all levels of the club, but surely the first team coach is allowed to be a bit more flexible. Is he flexible, does he sometimes play 2 up top?

i dont see many outstanding managerial candidates out there that we could attract, Klopp would be my choice but it aint gonna happen, the rest are all much of a muchness but for some reason deBoer has had some nice things said about him.

my money is on Hoddle

media will love him, would be respected, attack minded. Not the best choice in the world but bulletproof, at least for the rest of the season.

The media wouldnt love him at all - they'll spend all their time thinking of ways to unsettle him and to find stories/angles about his religious beliefs. I cant see Hoddle staying for more than 2 years if appointed

anyone got any insight into how F deBoer sets his teams out at Ajax?? Iirc Ajax play 4-3-3 throughout all levels of the club, but surely the first team coach is allowed to be a bit more flexible. Is he flexible, does he sometimes play 2 up top?

i dont see many outstanding managerial candidates out there that we could attract, Klopp would be my choice but it aint gonna happen, the rest are all much of a muchness but for some reason deBoer has had some nice things said about him.

Always 433. Only time he's anything really different is using Eriksen as a false 9 against bigger teams.

Word going round the camp fire in Switzerland is that we have made contact with Basel boss Murat Yakin

http://www.20min.ch/ro/sports/football/story/25362914

Murat Yakin soon to Tottenham?

by Laurent Güdel - Rumors are growing around the coach of FC Basel. There was contact between "Muri" and Spurs.

A week before Christmas, Basel through a strange period. While the Rhineland were knocked out of the Champions League, the effects of a hangover is still being felt with this new transfer rumors hovering over coach Yakin.

According to the " Blick ", last October, the club Sunderland who wanted to send a private jet to Basel-Mulhouse to convince Murat to join. Then, rumors have sent FCB coach at Lazio to replace Petkovic. But while Villas-Boas has just been sacked by Spurs Tottenham name Yakin was quickly placed next to those of Fabio Capello and Guus Hiddink to succeed the Portuguese.

Moreover, Federer has confirmed: "I had no contact with Lazio, but with Tottenham, yes." Fifteen years after the transfer of Christian Gross (another iconic coach Rhine club) from Basel to Tottenham, it wants nothing to Yakin: transfer if there is, it is hoped that the experience will be more rewarding than its predecessor . Bald was given nine months.

The best scenario (well unless Sherwood works out) would be Ancellotti getting the boot from Real in the Summer. They're currently 5 points behind Athelico and Barcelona. He'll be judged really on how he does in the Champion's League.

Levy had Ancellotti lined up as replacement for Harry before he went off to PSG. He would be gettable.

Levy only has 3 choices now:

1. Interim till summer of Sherwood, Ferdinand, Ramsey and Freund.
2. Interim till summer of someone else: Hoddle, Baldini or AN Other who is willing to do it for 6 months.
3. Permanent appointment now.

#1 is overwhelmingly likely I think.

#2 is quite unlikely because Levy further upsetting the apple cart by bringing in an outside temp just seems an unnecessary complication. They might do better than Sherwood & Co., or they might not. Why risk it and add a whole new temporary layer of coaching staff/set-up/philosophy/man-management/wages etc? Cannot see a compelling reason for it.

#3 is possible if soundings have been going on in recent weeks. Although if you look at this list: (http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/tottenham/next-permanent-manager) many of the candidates cross themselves off the list right away: Klinsmann (WC & he couldn't be arsed), Capello (WC & wrong generation/profile for Spurs now), Hiddink (doesn't need or want the aggro), Hoddle (simply not happening). Other credible candidates on the list are out for having AVB-style drawbacks - Laudrup (unproven, talks like a stoner) and Pochittino (could be AVB Mk II). We can also rule out the likes of di Matteo, Lee Clarke or Zola. That really only leaves de Boer, Spalletti or a complete dark horse way down that Oddschecker list or not on it at all.

So I think #1 is going to happen, with Spalletti/de Boer/Outsider perm an outside possibility, and an outsider temp pretty unlikely.

I think I've finally decided. My top 3 in order of preference would be:

1) de Boer
2) Solskjaer
3) Sherwood

Mind you, I cant say that I'm that convinced with the short-list! Cue comments saying 'thank **** he's not our Chairman!' I'm also glad I'm not, though presumably if I were I'd have better knowledge of which managers are available and gettable

I think I've finally decided. My top 3 in order of preference would be:

1) de Boer
2) Solskjaer
3) Sherwood

Mind you, I cant say that I'm that convinced with the short-list! Cue comments saying 'thank **** he's not our Chairman!' I'm also glad I'm not, though presumably if I were I'd have better knowledge of which managers are available and gettable

Really?

Back